Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

would you use a gaming pub in london

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
im posting this as i am in the process of getting or rather attempting to get the funding for a pub in London, i've worked in pubs for many years but have always wanted a gaming pub were you can play our favourite game ( any system ) and have a beer without having to go all the way to nottingham. The idea is a simple one, make a pub which caters for the gaming community in north to central london, on site would be gaming tables, a studio for guest artists to come and show of there work and skills, a medium sized hobby/art store located on the top floor for any hobby needs and on the ground floor a pub offering food, beer and live entertainment during the week.
so what im looking for is some feed back, how many people would be interested in a pub that was aimed at gamers, and before you ask it wont cost a fortune ever for the beer :)
if any one has any ideas or comments please leave them on this thread as we will consider every thing you all say.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I love the idea and I would certainly go (as would the missus)
but having seen speciality pubs, bars and clubs fail far more often then not,
I can't say I would be convinced in anyones ability to keep it open a year.

That said,
if you do get it off the ground please message me and I will attempt to help drum up support and assistance for you.............

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys
Like I said I've worked in pubs for many years and have been building up to this for some time. I'm doing it as a kickstarter, once it's ready to go ill add the info for you all. As for it being a success it's going to take time going to take time to get every ones attention but once were established it should be fine. Plus it's not just a pub we will also have our own hobby stir with paints and other artist materials ect.
Fingers crossed any way :)

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Im gonna say no, personally i dont think its a good idea and i dont think that it will work outside of GW HQ.

I dont think there is enough of a concentration of gamers anywhere in the UK to warrant a public house catering for them, Pubs generally are having a terrible time getting people through the door without making a pub dedicated to our nerdy hobby, i admire that you want to mix your trade and your hobby passion, but somethings are not meant to be, you have a back ground in the licence trade, i would suggest opening or running a pub that caters for as many different diverse people as possible who have loads of disposable income and dont mind paying for over priced beer, most wargamers seem to be living in poverty, claiming that they regularly have to choose between grey plastic crack or eating/heating/rent, these are hardly the demographic to go after if you want to keep you pub business viable.
The other thing to consider would be the brewery's, i assume you would be a free house as no brewery would offer a tenancy for a pub via this route, and margins in a free/lease house are negligible and often come with strings attached and often require a significant investment and to be perfectly honest they may not be willing to supply to a pub for wargamers, not to mention its alot of graft for very little reward.

My advice would be if you want to run a pub, do it, but find one with a function room, and start a gaming club in the fucntion room, run the pub for the public and enjoy gaming nights in the function room for the gamers,but remember one is dying trade and the other is a niche business, if you try and puch them together you will likely end up with a dying niche .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Love the idea but i have to agree with B/K here. Focus on running a pub and if youre lucky enough to get a locale to have a function room then you can cater to wargamers more so on the side. The other route you could go (and i have seen this work) is to start with a comic book or hobby store and then expand and offer alcohol for sale. it just wouldn't be a true pub.
Your Dream i think is everyone elses dream but its still a business and how you would make a living.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It is a great idea but it calls for a very small demographic that is widely spread. Worse your target group are socially unpopular, and if they (the gamers) are in the pub then others are less likely to come in. Plus to make the pub work you want people drinking heavily, and i think the games would mean you'd have people drinking more slowly and taking up more space than you'd see in a regular pub.

How about 'club pub' - a pub with a function room/salon which the bar extends into but that is somehow separated from the main room. Offer use of it to various clubs, wargamers, boardgamers, sports clubs, anything. Make the function room multifunctional and include tables of various sorts etc.

I can see this working more than your initial idea at least. And as long as you maintain some separation between spaces and do not advertise solely with 40k miniatures then you should not drive away normal punters.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
How about 'club pub' - a pub with a function room/salon which the bar extends into but that is somehow separated from the main room. Offer use of it to various clubs, wargamers, boardgamers, sports clubs, anything. Make the function room multifunctional and include tables of various sorts etc.
Food/nibbles would be a necessity and some way to take money off gamers without taking the piss would be another difficulty.

Back in the nineties when there were lots of rock metaller pubs and sports bars this would have worked,
now it's pretty much only bar/restaurants and wetherspoons that survive.

Alternatively if you went back in time and killed a few dozen bankers on either side of the atlantic then the original plan would probably work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
ok guys i think i have not been very clear, when i say it will be a gaming pub i dont mean it will only be targeted at gamers! the site i have in mind already has a great trade and following as its also very close to a london football club and takes a lot of its trade through football, its also a 3 floor operation with only the ground floor being used at any one time, my plan would be to use the ground floor as a pub for any one and every one, dressing it to fit in with the idea of whats in nottingham, shields and dummy swords ect. the place i have in mind already looks like its from a dwarves city so just need tweaking, the first floor as a hobby friendly area with gaming tables available, a studio area for in house painting projects or guest artists to come and show of there work at any events we organise and host and finally on the top floor convert it into an art store/hobby centre were you can buy and even sell model sets and other bits and bobs along with a host of artist materials. i have worked in pubs a long time and i no that to think i could solely cater for gamers would be amazing but like every one has said it would be very difficult. the site i am after is vastly under used and has the potential to do so much more, gaming being the main aim to give people a place to go if there in london and want to have a few games with friends over a few drinks or even if they want to go some were and do some hobby ect.
so it is a gaming pub but NOT entirely driven by gamers, i have also spoken with the company who own the property and have already been given the green light to do what i have planned.
sorry if i have been a bit confusing with this, and thanks for the info so far :)
Oh and one big thing!!! whe i say gamers and hobby i am not aiming soly at 40k or warhammer EVERY and i mean every gaming system is welcome, if i can even help promote new company's we will as there is soooooo much more out there than just GW.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
ok guys i think i have not been very clear, when i say it will be a gaming pub i dont mean it will only be targeted at gamers! the site i have in mind already has a great trade and following as its also very close to a london football club and takes a lot of its trade through football, its also a 3 floor operation with only the ground floor being used at any one time, my plan would be to use the ground floor as a pub for any one and every one, dressing it to fit in with the idea of whats in nottingham, shields and dummy swords ect. the place i have in mind already looks like its from a dwarves city so just need tweaking, the first floor as a hobby friendly area with gaming tables available, a studio area for in house painting projects or guest artists to come and show of there work at any events we organise and host and finally on the top floor convert it into an art store/hobby centre were you can buy and even sell model sets and other bits and bobs along with a host of artist materials. i have worked in pubs a long time and i no that to think i could solely cater for gamers would be amazing but like every one has said it would be very difficult. the site i am after is vastly under used and has the potential to do so much more, gaming being the main aim to give people a place to go if there in london and want to have a few games with friends over a few drinks or even if they want to go some were and do some hobby ect.
so it is a gaming pub but NOT entirely driven by gamers, i have also spoken with the company who own the property and have already been given the green light to do what i have planned.
sorry if i have been a bit confusing with this, and thanks for the info so far :)
Oh and one big thing!!! whe i say gamers and hobby i am not aiming soly at 40k or warhammer EVERY and i mean every gaming system is welcome, if i can even help promote new company's we will as there is soooooo much more out there than just GW.
Well in that case, sounds great crack on with it

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It's not in Tottenham is it? (shudder)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts