Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering how many drones cause there is a drone controller and a thingy drone controller so does that mean i can take 4 drones

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I *think* he has some confusion between a 'hardwired' drone controller and a battlesuit system drone controller.

Both do the same thing.

The difference is there because with a battlesuit, you might want to give it a two different weapons and a Target lock (which would fill up the three slots) and if you want drones, too then you need to use the 'hardwired' version (it's an implant in the operator, as opposed to the suit hardware which is an add-on like a car-stereo).
In other cases, not every unit can take the battlesuit version.

No, I don't believe you can take the two of them, so are limited to 2 drones per model that can take the controller.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
From what i can tell from your question i have this answer;

Any unit may take a Drone Controller at +0pts if they are allowed to take stuff form there battlesuit/infantry wargear. You MUST take at least extra drone per drone controller so you can take a Gun drone at +10pts, Shield Drone or Marker drone at . Each modal with a Drone controller make take up to 2 drones but MUST take at least 1. This means you can take only 2 extra drones.
Each drone is assigned to a controller so if you have a unit of 3 battlesuits all with controllers you may take up to 6 in total. Just remember that if the controller dies then so do the drones.

Please do NOT post points values for items of wargear or individual units. If they have the codex it should be readily available what the costs for Drones are. Bonus: corrected typos! :victory:

-DK

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks jaws i know my question was a little confusing

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
no worrys. My mate playes Tau and i also have the codex so we worked out these little things with combined knowlage.
Good luck oh and just for a tip when using Drones with suits, Never have the drones outnumber the suits and try to only use shield drones sicne they would be T4 along with the suits.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Never have the drones outnumber the suits
- I've always wondered about this. On the weekend I played against Tau. My warboss was in hand to hand with a Shas'ui with two drones. He took two wounds and removed both drones. My Warboss only took one wound and as a result the Shas'ui was forces to retreat. Now the codex says that srones are counted for shooting moral checks having taken 25% casualties. However there is nothing specifically mentioning they are counted when determining if a units is below 50% and ineligable to regroup. I would expect that the suit could regroup and I read the rules this way, am I right. Otherwise I really can't see the point of taking two drones! as Jaws said.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
- I've always wondered about this. On the weekend I played against Tau. My warboss was in hand to hand with a Shas'ui with two drones. He took two wounds and removed both drones. My Warboss only took one wound and as a result the Shas'ui was forces to retreat. Now the codex says that srones are counted for shooting moral checks having taken 25% casualties. However there is nothing specifically mentioning they are counted when determining if a units is below 50% and ineligable to regroup. I would expect that the suit could regroup and I read the rules this way, am I right. Otherwise I really can't see the point of taking two drones! as Jaws said.
Each drone is a kill point if I remember correctly too.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Page 31 of codex: Tau Empire.

Drones are counted for determining if it is below 50% for victory point purposes
So my reading is that if I get the victory points for putting you below 50% then that same less than 50% stops you from regrouping.

I keep having nightmares with broadsides using these bloody things. I field them as individuals with two shield drones. My inability to pass 8 up leadership roles means that My uninjured broadsides keep wandering off upset that the floating armour plates get shot. I mean how well can you get to know a floating armoured frisbee?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
my main rerasonign is that shotting is done on the majoraty so if you have 2 drone per suit then your majoraty Toughness is now 3 making your suits worse. This i why i suggest Shield drones as there armour and Toughness become what they are equiped to.

P.S. My bad with posting the pointscosts...sorry

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
An IC with Drones reverts back to an IC when they die so may regroup if alone. A squad member would not be able to Regroup.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Drones are counted for determining if it is below 50% for victory point purposes
Yes page 31. that's what I'm looking at, it's the ... for victory point purposes. It doesn't say for regrouping purposes. So bad luck at the end of the game when you are talling up the victory points, but the way I read it is that you won't have the problem regrouping.
Oh, and Jaws thanks for the clarification. I didn't pick that one up as I was still thinking about the game last weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts