Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

How many codices have you bought in the past 5 years?

Votes: 6 6.5%

Votes: 10 10.8%

Votes: 16 17.2%

Votes: 15 16.1%

Votes: 9 9.7%

Votes: 10 10.8%

Votes: 5 5.4%

Votes: 5 5.4%

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 12 12.9%
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
New cron, CSM and Deamons for fantasy and 40k - also I think they heard you because its funny how they have just announced digital format GW books :D

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
$0. (Got the BRB in a used AoBR box)

If I could get a printable digital format of all codices I would easily pay $100 for permanent access.
Obviously not seen the prices GW is thinking to charge for digital media: they want the same $$$ as the printed copies. Ridiculous...

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Three fifth ed codices.

SM, IG and GK.

I don't buy them for armies I don't play. I don't even read the codices for armies I don't play. I prefer not to play against them, either (newcrons and bleeding wolf angles especially).
So in your perfect world all matches are between those three armies.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Where's the option for more than ten :p Do FW/IA books not count?
The option for more than ten is... ten! I could change the 10 to 15-20 for all the people who voted 10 and the average number doesn't change dramatically. No need to include more at this point considering the majority of votes are between 0-6. For example: at the time of this post, the average per person is 4.5 codices and $42.02 a year. If I changed the votes for 10 to votes for 15, the average is 5.4 and 47.85. Not a huge change. About 14% and $5 a year.

FW/IA does not count in this vote. Codices from GW only for this. SOB doesn't really count either as this is a vote for Codices, actual books from GW.

I think a lot of people are forgetting: this is specifically which Codices you have bought NEW in the past 5 years alone. I don't care about how many you own.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
If you are doing this for research you probably shouldn't assume most people have been in the hobby for 5 years... it seems like I've been playing forever but I only picked up the hobby 4 years ago (did play for 3-4 years when I was a kid, but that was a looooong time ago).
If people have been playing for a few months chances are they only have 1 dex... if they've been playing a year or 2 then they'll likely only have 2-3. I wonder how many people have been playing all of those 5 years and don't have 10 new dexs within that timeframe.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
I have been playing for 5 years and own 2 dex. Everyone I play with has been playing for over 5 years. During that timeframe though, 1 has bought 4 dex, 1 has bought 3 dex, 1 has bought 2 dex, 2 have bought 1 dex. My community is a little different because we play A LOT of other tabletop games, so we don't need to change things as often.

This is just to determine the average of all gamers in the community. I picked 5 years because 5th has been out for at least 4 years. Also, in the past 5 years, most codices got an update so someone might have purchased their codex 4 years ago and none since, so 1 year wouldn't cut it.

In the end, we have an average amount determined by veterans and new-comers. If I had made the time 1 year, it wouldn't take into account the veterans of the game who buy a codex more often. It goes both ways, so I chose to stick with a set time and set price to reduce the variables.

I do realize this does not cover everything. I know a lot of people that do not own a BRB (the majority actually) and yet I factored it in because it is "worst case" This also does not cover FW/IA or multiple BRB from 40k and/or fantasy.

To make it a simple poll, a lot of complexity has to be taken out. That can always be explored separately from this exercise. Simple polls get more attention and a greater quantity of participation. For instance we have over 50 voters, but less than 30 posts.

If anything, this poll will help refine a new poll to get more detailed information and come up with a more precise average. I will probably start a new thread for people to post: How long they have been playing and what books they have bough new. Simple as that. This is just giving me an idea of what the majority of our community looks like in terms of books bought. For instance, I notice the majority of voters are much lower on the scale or 0-10 but then then the single most voted amount is 10+. This tells me that you could be correct, that a lot of people are new-comers and have not been playing the entire 5 years. Or it is a division between people who specialize in only a handful of armies and people who buy/collect all of GW's books for their own reference, even if they do not play any of the armies. The fluff is a huge part of the hobby of course.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Living out in the middle of no where and not having anyone to play I have not had to buy anything new right away so over the last six years I get everything second hand off ebay or minimum 20% below GW cost.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Tyranids - First army
Tyranids - Replaced the last one which broke
Necrons - Second Army
Necrons - Replaced the last one which I lost and then found a few months later
Daemons - First WHFB army
Necrons - 5th edition release
Beastment - Latest Army

In chronological order. :D I included WHFB Army Books

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My shop is a lot different than most. The majority of players play xenos and I think only one guy plays vanilla marines with a salamander variant style. GW would certainly sell more models/dex here if they worked on more non-space marine armies.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
So in your perfect world all matches are between those three armies.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!
I'll settle for the argumentative twonks* leaving the game and finding something else to argue every single frigging rule over - like tiddlywinks. As it is, I don't even play it anymore - apart from the odd 2nd ed game.

*Most of them have left for WM/H - so it's a good start.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Two. One for my 40k army, one for my WFB army. I'll buy two more when Tau and Brets are redone.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
6 - each for the armies that i play.

C:SMs
CSMs
Nids
Orks
IG
Demons

i got a 4th ed BRB, a mini 5th, and a BRB 5th all second hand from friends who had extras and just gave away.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Space Marine Codex
Blood Angels Codex
Tyranids Codex
Space Wolves Codex
Orks Codex
Black Templars Codex
Imperial Guard Codex

Mostly for fluff reasons as I'm yet to actually start an army. The closest I've ever come is twenty-half painted Grey Hunters.

The SM one was the first that I brought, followed by Orks, SW, IG, BT, Tyranids, BA's.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
chaos just before it was updated,
csm
old nids
new nids
old ig
new ig
demons
grey knights.

so 8. not including the other old ones i bought for fluff and background on the armies i play all the way back to first ed(about another 8 or so.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Only GreyKnights since 4th Ed and yea probably no more as I love the game and the Hobby but can't justify it financially and I've got money,who knows how the young dudes scrape by.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts