Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like 40K and I like to read the fluff, I wanted know how many codex people buy and is worth buying them all. I haven't bought the CSM, Chaos Daemons or Eldar yet but I'm thinking about it.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
It depends on how much interest I have in the race. I have the SW, BA, DE, Tau and CSM codecies at the moment, and am also toying with picking up the Eldar one. I will say the big price jump in the new hard back format has made me think twice about buying rather than when it was the old soft back and cheaper format.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I used to buy them frequently, for various reasons ranging from Reading Fluff, Just incase I ever wanted to start the army, or be more familiar with the special rules and such so that it would benefit my own armies.

But now with Codices being £30 unless it's an army I'm collecting I used PDF versions now.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
I had been buying them up also until the price increase of the hardbacks. At this point I have GK, DE, SW, SM, IG, Orks, CSM, and DA. I had been holding off on older dex's because of the fact 6th was going to hit. At this point I am not sure if I will continue to just buy them though.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I was buying the majority of them until the hardcover price hike happened. Since then I have only bought Codex: Dark Angels.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
i buy them all, but thats mainly for research for the store, back in the day i used to own just the ones for my own army and i would generally borrow friends copies for armies i didnt have, that part of the social aspect of the game i really loved and i suppose in many ways why i visit this forum. I dont think that owning a codex for every army is necessary,especially when you consider they are £30 a pop,alot of the fluff is rehashed from previous edition, the pictures are pretty but again many of the models and art work are from previous editions so that only leaves the rules and they change every 4 to 5 years in many cases as each edition changes. Personally i would always spend my budget on the models or modelling gear rather than books that i dont really need.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Back in third ed and the start of 4th i bought every codex. I dropped off however and now only buy the ones for my armies or those that really pique my interest. With their current price it's just not worth it anymore when all i'm after is fluff. I can now get that from the forums and places like lexicanum.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I have collected a heap of the old ones from ebay and other sources, but the only current ones I have and plan to have are those for my current armies. Chaos marines, Imperial guard(for my traitors), demons and grey knights(Dark Mechanicus).

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
But now with Codices being £30 unless it's an army I'm collecting I used PDF versions now.

This. I've got PDF Versions of the new Chaos Space Marines, Dark Angels and Tau, as well as Necrons and Imperial Guard. I like the fluff and I play over Vassal so it helps.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I just pick up the actual codices for the armies that I use. In this case Eldar and I will pick up the new Space Marine one when it comes out. I have read through all the existing codices though.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
As a general rule I like to have all the codexes, even if I'm not playing the army. 40k lore as always been interesting and I like to dig into what other armies have and what they can do.

Sure I could just download the things, but I've always been more fond of having the book on my shelf to reference than a pdf. Plus books are generally easier to work with.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I used to buy codex's at a ridiculous rate. Either because they were relevant to my armies, or I may think of a new army at some point or even at times simply because I wanted to read up on the fluff of an army/race.

However, as Khorne's Fist has stated, the recent rise in the cost of dex's has put a stop to that. I've bought CSM as it's relevant to my current project, and I'll buy the SM 'dex when that drops.

That'll probably be it though.....

·
Registered
241 Posts
I only "buy" codex's of races that I intend to fight with.

But I still get all codex’s so I can read the fluff.

To me I am fulfilling my moral duty to GW, because I am not going to spend 60$ on a book that I will only read for a hobby.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I pick up the armies that interest me.

currently that is GK, IG, SM, CSM, Demons, Nids, & Orks.

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
I only "buy" codex's of races that I intend to fight with.

But I still get all codex’s so I can read the fluff.

To me I am fulfilling my moral duty to GW, because I am not going to spend 60$ on a book that I will only read for a hobby.

You just keep telling yourself that...

I but all of them. gotta know all the rules because I cannot stand playing someone new and just trusting that they read/understood their entire codex.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Three, CSM, Necron, WOC.

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
I used to buy them all because I love the background and art, but at £30 a pop I had to call it a day. That money could buy me more Space Wolves. So in future, I'll buy the new Space Marine codex and of course, the Space Wolves one, but that's it.

I think GW are going to miss out in future. Yes they'll make more money on the individual codexes but they'll lose out where people like me used to have a large number of codexes which would make us want to pick up the models of other races or maybe start a new army. Now I only get inspired to buy more minis for my own army, which is preaching to the converted really.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts