Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry if this is a little long or have been asked before, it's difficult to search for this as it contains too many words, in retrospect i should probably just buy the 5th ed rule book)

hello, i'm a returning 40k player. i used to play necron about 5-6yrs ago, then i quit and now i'm back trying out blood angels this time. i didn't played much back then so i don't know much about 40k. necron aren't known to have wargear options and such. my robot zombie dudes just came with a gun and that's all i got. as far as how much of the game i know, i just threw warriors at my opponent until a model hits him in the eye and he gives up and goes home.

now that i'm picking up blood angels, it's more complex, there are more rules. i know that you get an extra attack in close combat if you're carrying 2 close combat weapons. but what qualifies as a close combat weapon and how does it actually work?

i got the new blood angel codex, and under plasma pistol it says that you can use the plasma pistol as a close combat weapon, but it doesn't say anything like that for other weapons categorized as pistol. does that mean only the plasma pistol can be used as a close combat weapon or all weapons categorized as pistols count as close combat weapons?

furthermore, how does this work with characters with no wargear options? say you have some special named character with a printed 2 attacks. he comes with a plasma pistol and a power weapon and he has no option to exchange or upgrade to any other sort of weaponry. so then is the plus one attack from having 2 close combat weapons already included in his printed attack or does he gets his 2 attacks plus 1 more for having 2 close combat weapons?

thanks in advance for clarifying :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
The extra attack is almost never included in the unit profile.

All pistols may be used to gain the +1 attack.

Read the BRB pg 42 for a better understanding of the combat weapon rules. :victory:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
in retrospect i should probably just buy the 5th ed rule book)
Very true. It has to be damn near impossible to try and figure out the rules for a game without the main rulebook. :grin:

But as Klokk has pointed out, a "pistol" weapon can be used in an assault as a close combat weapon. So a unit with a pistol and a close combat weapon, (like a chain sword,) will get the bonus +1 attack for having two regular close combat weapons.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
If you buy an Assault on Black Reach you will get a bunch of marines shit and a small 5th Edition rule book that is almost page for page what the big book is. Then take and sell the ork stuff or trade it off if you want. Worth it. Or check e-bay for the book, might get it for a good price.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
any special weapon doubled up (2 power fists) or non special weapon (chain sword + pistol) give a +1 to your attacks, which is not included in your profile.

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
So the real fun to the above is figuring out the number of Tyranid Warrior attacks, with the different war-gear options. I helped a buddy make a list once. It always gave me a second pause. lol

"Okay, wait. Scything talons are special, right? You have a pair of them, but that counts as one? Ok, so if you take bones swords, you dont get an extra... but spine fists would? Wait a minute..."

·
Registered
148 Posts
So the real fun to the above is figuring out the number of Tyranid Warrior attacks, with the different war-gear options. I helped a buddy make a list once. It always gave me a second pause. lol

"Okay, wait. Scything talons are special, right? You have a pair of them, but that counts as one? Ok, so if you take bones swords, you dont get an extra... but spine fists would? Wait a minute..."

Nids don't get an extra attack for having extra close combat weapons. Ever. It's always included in the profile.

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
Nids don't get an extra attack for having extra close combat weapons. Ever. It's always included in the profile.
Hence the "wait a minute". Messed with it for the better part of an hour before I went back to the page where it says that. I figured such a rule would have been included in the "close combat weapons" section, but I was wrong.

As a side note, am I correct in my understanding that a Nid warrior with Boneswords and S'Talons has to chose which to use every round?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replies guys... yea i'll get the rule book soon... i'm getting really annoyed seeing all these "See the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook for details of using blah blah"....

btw yea... i was wondering bout nids too... cuz they come with more than 2 hands... and sometimes feetless :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts