Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says on the tin, how do you think the staff of a forum should act or conduct/behave themselves?

We've all seen the staff of one forum or another act in a manner we may have thought wrong, or heavy handed, or pig headed or over-zealous. Sometimes they are justified in doing this, other times not so much (or at least thats what we believe.)

There have been times when people have told me, or other members of the Heresy staff that we have acted in a way that we are not allowed to, as staff of Heresy. I've always found this funny, because honestly who are they to tell me how I should/should not act on a site that they do not own?

However thats me, what about all of you?

Are staff beholden to the members only? Is there a very specific way we are supposed to act? Must all staff on all forums conduct themselves in the same manner?

Do you think they have to be 100% in favour of the members? And if so then some over others?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I think that the way things are now are how they should continue to be her. You have the responsibility to protect everyone here but at the same time the freedom to post what you believe in without worrying about being called out by Jez provided it is in line with the rules. While I may not always agree with how things are done behind the scenes I have a reasonable faith that you guys are doing what is best for heresy.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Just like everyone else on the forum surely? Isn't that the point of being a mod though, being able to see the line between right and wrong. Take our forum and make it a better place. Craft it into something new and something better than it was before. A mod is a person we all strive to become.

A mod... Is a hero.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Just like everyone else on the forum surely? Isn't that the point of being a mod though, being able to see the line between right and wrong. Take our forum and make it a better place. Craft it into something new and something better than it was before. A mod is a person we all strive to become.

A mod... Is a hero.
You got a little brown right there on your nose. :p

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Even though I'm new to the forums I'd still like to put in my two cents.

I don't think there is much need of a code of conduct for moderators to follow. While that may seem surprising to some its really pretty simple. the more mods the more stable the forum becomes (up to a certain point) as each mods tendencies is different and tend to equal out. And as darkreever pointed out members who don't contribute to the ownership of the forum should have no say in how moderators and admins should conduct themselves.

My one Caveat to this is that as Mods its is only proper to conduct oneself as best as possible. Just think of the membership decline if one abusive Mod started going on a rampage. People would lose interest in coming back to the site because instead of a collection of like minded individuals they encounter one close minded nut.

Sorry if I'm not entirely clear as I'm typing this up rapidly before getting back to work.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think mods should act like themselves. That's why they got made mods, right?

And personally, I still think it was hilarious when "Virgins will be ridiculed" was Heresy's header.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Moderation is open to interpretation of the person who is moderator. While the admins or mods do put forth a set of rules or the staff are in general agreement about certain things each moderator having a different personality will react differently to different situations. Where one moderator might send a PM for a members words or actions another moderator might issue an infraction.

While being an admin or a moderator gives us power it does not grant us insight into what is right or wrong over others. What it does or hopefully does is mark us as forum members who has shown that they can be impartial and can think about all sides of an issue before making a decision. Meaning having the courage to tell forum members who are really your friends that they were wrong and sticking to your guns.

Being an admin and moderator I have been personally attacked verbally for both what I have done or did not do and what other members have done. I have been told repeatedly to eff off or what have you and you take it with a grain of salt and let people cool off. There is a line however that if crossed action must be taken, the best a moderator or admin can do is to have a firm grasp on where their line is and how they handle everything before it and after it.

Having said that we are only human and have human emotions.

Moderators are there to moderate and when needed help members overcome obstacles between themselves.

I believe there also has to be a separation between forum members, moderators and Admins.

Admins take care of the site and everything that exhaustively entails.

Moderators take care of members and their concerns.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Mods by nature of the position will be hated at various times. People choose sides, if the Mods choose a side that isn't their side, they get hated. I have been extremely angry with the mods at one point or another for various reasons. This is not the only site that has happened though. The only thing I think I could suggest is that if a infraction happens it should maybe have more than the single mod responding to it. If the person that got the infraction is objecting they should be able to discuss their objections with more than just the single mod that did the act of infraction against them.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
If the person that got the infraction is objecting they should be able to discuss their objections with more than just the single mod that did the act of infraction against them.
You're more than welcome to, if you get a decision you don't agree with or think was unfair then take the grievance to a senior mod or admin, they'll look at the situation and decide if the action taken was justified or not.

If you still disagree with the decision, tough titty:p

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Aye I know, just was thinking that more than one involved from the get go would lessen the personal aspect of it.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
We tend to try and avoid an issue if its become personal, if its based on an argument between a member and a moderator another mod will step in and deal with the situation, someone who has no interest in the situation either way.

Also, when a serious issue is raised it is discussed by the mods in the back ground before any action is taken, its very rarely just one mod on a crusade.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I think mods should act like themselves. That's why they got made mods, right?
I go with this.

The last thing I would want to see here is a tight cabal of ban hammers that take all of the passion out of the forum.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
not entirely over zealous and not generally pissed off - so essentially the opposite of a majority of the mods over at warseer

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
not entirely over zealous and not generally pissed off - so essentially the opposite of a majority of the mods over at warseer
I wouldn't sully the title of Moderator by associating it with certain groups......

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is partly why I made this thread. A fair number of members here despise some/all of the staff over on War seer or have problems with the staff at places like Dakka.

There have been members here who have taken issue with the actions, or apparent lack of action, taken by our own staff because they feel that the staff are beholden to acting in certain ways. (An example of this would be when a number of veteran members felt that since the staff wasn't banning a certain younger member they needed to take matters into their own hands.)

Beyond that, for anyone who was around long ago enough to remember the conversation between Jez and, think, the owner of 40k forums. The owner of that forum told Jez that Heresy staff wwasn't acting properly; this was of course based on his opinion of how forum staff should act and conduct themselves. That's what I'm wondering here, what is it you think forum staff (not necessarily just us here) should/should not be doing or focusing on?

Personally, I think the staff of any forum simply must care about what the owner wants done. that's make sure the rules are upheld ththat's what you do. Drum up some heat on the boards? Seek out the raunchiest or most controversial rumours? Then off you go to get that shit done.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
However the fuck they want, as long as they're not dicks - act like you normally do, just be a little more responsible about stuff? Idk.

I guess be fair, be consistant, and don't be a jackass. You guys are pretty good about that

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.