Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a simple question really, as 6th has a very heavy bias towards shooting, what special rules do you expect to see to allow a combat focused 'dex to stay viable?

I think a special rule along the lines of "if a unit from the 'nid codex is within synapse range at the start of it's charge move, any casualties caused by overwatch will still make it to combat, with a single attack at WS1 before being removed". This would represent the momentum, indomitable will of the hive mind, and the creatures instinctive reaction strike.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
113 Posts
i wouldn't be shocked to see any "ignore overwatch" rules, I'm quite surprised that they have not done one of those yet.
This is pure speculation though, but because of the scariness of nid and GW's description of overwatch it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I think it will be far less subtle: reduce buggers point cost. More bodies=army stronger= more models sold=win.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am expecting alot of the little plentiful 'buggers' to have the same movement rules as Eldar & hopefully 'stealers being nasty in CC again

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I expect Hormagaunts to get Acrobatic instead of Bounding Leap, and points decreases across the board. Personally, GW need to decide what Tyranids actually are and stick to it, and I think there's potential to makr them the aura buff/model spawning army. More Tervigon-esque abilites to spawn units (simple upgrade for MCs to be able to produce Rippers or Spore Mines, both of which appear in the fluff), and then give a bunch of aura effects. I think that Dawn of War II should influence new synapse - different Synapse creatures give synapse plus another effect dependant on the creature - Preferred Enemy from Warriors, 6+ invulns from Zoanthropes, extended synapse range for a Hive Tyrant etc.

Add that Synapse mechanic, and then a system to regain wounds/models, and it'd be great. I'd give all the Monstrous Creatues a rule called 'Devour", which would essentially be a rule allowing the Monstrous Creature to eat Gaunts and Rippers to regain wounds. If you gave it to the whole army, you could say that whenever a Monstrous Creature died, all infantry units within 6" recovered d6 wounds as they ate the corpse. Give it a penalty in the form of Psychic Feedback applying to all Synapse Creatures and it'd be pretty awesome.

Midnight

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Quite a simple question really, as 6th has a very heavy bias towards shooting, what special rules do you expect to see to allow a combat focused 'dex to stay viable?
None. Just as every codex since 3rd, Tyranids will be a luck based army with the odds stacked against it, with only meager attempts from GW to cover up their blatant weaknesses. Oh and they'll probably introduce 10 new models that are all distinctly "average" in rules, and make everything else shit.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
None. Just as every codex since 3rd, Tyranids will be a luck based army with the odds stacked against it, with only meager attempts from GW to cover up their blatant weaknesses. Oh and they'll probably introduce 10 new models that are all distinctly "average" in rules, and make everything else shit.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
One rule that I suspect will come into play, at least for many of the troops, are a rule that makes them able to run AND charge in the same turn.

Not sure why, but I think it suits the theme with the hiveminded bugs charging at full speed.
I was really hoping that would be for Dark Eldar. It makes them similar and yet different than Eldar.

As for Tyranids. I'd like to see more Biomorph synergy. Having Shrikes and/or winged Tyrants would give Hive Guard the option to Skyfire. Of course, having the winged Tyrant should make Shrikes Troops. You could go further by saying that a Tyrant with the 2+ armor would let you get +1 armor on other units, for a point increase. I like the idea of being able to buy one +1 stat increase for your units. This would show the bio-diversity of the Hive Fleets. For true fluffiness every unit would get the same stat increased but realistically people would buff a strength, like BS for termagaunts and WS or A for Hormagaunts.

Lastly, I like some of MidnightSun's ideas. The synapse stuff being really nice.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

I think a special rule along the lines of "if a unit from the 'nid codex is within synapse range at the start of it's charge move, any casualties caused by overwatch will still make it to combat, with a single attack at WS1 before being removed". This would represent the momentum, indomitable will of the hive mind, and the creatures instinctive reaction strike.

Any other suggestions?
Or you could just read your fucking dex and realise that even though 6th does give shooting advantages nids still have options available to them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or you could just read your fucking dex and realise that even though 6th does give shooting advantages nids still have options available to them.
I don't recall ever saying they didn't. It just occurred to me that if GW are going to give a 'Dex with a heavy shooting focus an advantage based around that (Tau's multiple unit over watch for example), it would make sense for a combat focused 'Dex to have some advantages geared towards making it to combat.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I don't recall ever saying they didn't. It just occurred to me that if GW are going to give a 'Dex with a heavy shooting focus an advantage based around that (Tau's multiple unit over watch for example), it would make sense for a combat focused 'Dex to have some advantages geared towards making it to combat.
Sorry I though you were complaining that nids were useless in 6th.

But in reality the nids aren't a combat focused army, their power is either bodies or wounds.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
'Nids aren't combat focused, that's a common misconception.

Nids can do either, they are a middle ground between range and combat.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then that's admittedly my mistake. It's an easy one to make though, given the huge scythe-clawed monsters, the hordes of smaller, glassy-eyed creatures of blade and hoof, and the reams of background material telling of their fearsome charges and deadly close combat prowess, of how they will willingly sacrifice thousands of smaller creatures to expend defenders ammo so that they can rip them to pieces. In comparison the stories of a group of termagants hunkering down by some rocks to exchange fire with some guardsmen is a little less common. I'll freely admit, the fluff does not really reflect the tabletop, but this is a situation where it feels like it should :-/

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i wouldn't be shocked to see any "ignore overwatch" rules, I'm quite surprised that they have not done one of those yet.
This is pure speculation though, but because of the scariness of nid and GW's description of overwatch it wouldn't surprise me.
Chaos dirge casters and the masque of slaanesh can make units unable to overwatch, so I would imagine the tyranids getting a similar close ranged option.

I hope they tweak tervigons. Crapping out 50 free scoring bodies (and that's just 1) while being a t6 6w scoring MC themselves is just ridiculous to me.

I hope they keep the swarm mentality and provide adaquate rules and options to represent an endless tide (beyond the aforementioned tervigons).

I'd also love to see lictors be scary/playable again. They're a personal favorite.

·
Pony Marine Master
284 Posts
Tervigons while being a bit strong are easily dealt with and so in my opinion do not require much in a way of nerfing.

Overall aside the idea of giving a counter to some units for handing overwatch and the ability to move, run, charge. I would like to see some of the synapse creatures gain the ability to have warp shields. Yes I know that the zoan's have them but not having a choice of one for the Tyrants is a bit much in our current shooty world. So many weapons are packing AP 3 or better that the armor saves do little to keep the most important thing in your army (in terms of fluff or not) from getting spammed into the ground. Or in many cases, insta killed because of some power weapon that goes right through armor and just kills the Tyrant.

A bit of synergy among synapse would be nice to tweak builds with but from all the ways that can go its a big gamble. (How far is too much?)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Curiously, how exactly are 4 tervigons with biomancy in cover easy to deal with? The two tervigon spammers at my store mop up every single event that doesn't have a grey knight player.

I'm more curious to see the army wide rule than anything at this point. I could see people crying foul over run+charging, though. It would be cool to see lictors being able to assault on the turn they're revealed.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Curiously, how exactly are 4 tervigons with biomancy in cover easy to deal with? The two tervigon spammers at my store mop up every single event that doesn't have a grey knight player.

I'm more curious to see the army wide rule than anything at this point. I could see people crying foul over run+charging, though. It would be cool to see lictors being able to assault on the turn they're revealed.
As I am a user of 4 Tervigons I can state it is not easy to deal with them (I don't even use Biomancy. FNP is good enough for me) they are truly painful to deal with. Mainly because as a smart Nid player I support them with 3 distracting Trygons. The army sucks at anti air but since most flyers don't pump out enough shits to make a noteworthy difference (since most flyers are to counter other flyers and they canbe quite easy to manoeuvre around).

I do agree about Lictors. They need to do more than wave their arms and yell Boo! when they arrive.

I also would like to see a return of the Red Terror. The only SC I wanted to see return in the Nid codex is the only one skipped out.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
As I am a user of 4 Tervigons I can state it is not easy to deal with them (I don't even use Biomancy. FNP is good enough for me) they are truly painful to deal with. Mainly because as a smart Nid player I support them with 3 distracting Trygons. The army sucks at anti air but since most flyers don't pump out enough shits to make a noteworthy difference (since most flyers are to counter other flyers and they canbe quite easy to manoeuvre around).

I do agree about Lictors. They need to do more than wave their arms and yell Boo! when they arrive.

I also would like to see a return of the Red Terror. The only SC I wanted to see return in the Nid codex is the only one skipped out.
Agree on all accounts. When you throw in iron arm, it will not die, cover, supporting units, and the endles tide of free tarpits they spawn I'd almost go on to say they're one of the hardest things to remove in the entire game.

I think lictors being able to assault wouldn't be broken in the least now with overwatch giving the victims a chance while keeping a risk/reward for their use by the bug player.

Interesting to see so much love for the red terror. Not just here, but all over the place. He seems to he a fan favorite from the old book. It'd be neat to see his mechanics updated for 6th.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts