Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my own opinions, one before and one after, but first I am interested to know what you guys think of tyranids in Apocalypse. Have you played such a game, have you used their gargantuan creatures and have you won?

I looked through some of their units and formations, several of which I already own and thought they would be rather effective on the table. Then today, I played a game against my brother and his Chaos marines and traitor guard list. And my opinion, while not doing a complete 180, did change somewhat.

I was pleased with the Heirodule, and the Biotitan performed well enough when buffed with the Reanimator Strategic Asset.

That said, I did notice that the lack of anything Destroyer made it difficult to compete with the likes of Turbo Lasers and the Khorne Lord of Skulls bearing down on my swarm. I found that using my gargantuan creatures to strike his lesser tanks and squads was far more efficient, allowing for my more regular specialized units such as zoanthropes and crone to focus their efforts on whittling away at his super heavy tanks.

The Warhound Titan, and I imagine anything bigger would be an entirely different story. Had I managed to bring a gargantuan creature to bear on it, I feel I could have taken it down. Or even two or three carnifexes.

The next time we play, I'll be using necrons, and I will have several destroyer weapons of my own to make the comparison on how much damage difference it would make, using the same number of super heavies and formations.

In the meantime, have any of you had a similar or different experience with tyranids?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Depends on how your gaming group goes about playing apocalypse. We play it very relaxed. For instance we just bring what we have or think is cool and we don't really try to "cheese it out". We also have a bunch of house rules, key among them is the nerfing of destroyer weapons and the "only troops are scoring" rule.

In our games Tyranids can do pretty well. When you don't have to compete with strenght D in the "out of the book" manner, they have a bunch of excellent formations and their gargantuans can be really scary.

Especially the big bugs en masse can cause a lot of havoc when supported by each other and a decent sized swarm.

Tyranids in general though, suffers quite a bit from their lack of powerful ranged weapons and their lack of invulnerable saves and their gargantuans will often become a massive waste of points if you are facing something like Laser Destroyer Warhounds.

My preferred suggestion when it comes to balance issues in apocalypse is always going to be: House rule it. It's a sad fact, but Tyranids have always been a tad on the weak side in apoc, and there really aren't any units or formations available to them that changes this discrepancy.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt that bringing a Harridan may have added a great deal to my army, principally because as a flyer it can close the distance to enemy super heavies much faster and has the added benefits of being harder to bring down and packing just as much firepower is its ground based counterparts.

I do love the biotitan and building it has been a fun project for me, but I feel it was outshone by the smaller heirodule in this game. They both have the same ranged weapons, so unless I get the titan into combat with something worthwhile, it will always be doing the same damage as a creature nearly half the cost in points.

That's where I feel the harridan may shine, as it lies somewhere between the two in its potential.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Honestly, I don't think the Harridan is all that much better than it's smaller cousin. Even though it's faster, gargantuans are all pretty speedy already, and you don't get a whole lot more than that with the Harridan. It doesn't take too much effort to make it fall down, and when it's there, it dies just like the Hierodule. I'd prefer getting more of those (meaning more shooting and more wounds) to getting that extra speed.

But then again, I'm no expert on Tyranids and on the level we play apoc at, most things are, if not good, then at least periodically useful.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well having played the same game with necrons instead, I can confirm the presence of destroyer weapons indeed made all the difference.

I brought two destroyer weapons to the game, via tesseract vault and gauss pylon. He brought two as before, via Khorne Lord of skulls and warhound titan. At games end, I had destroyed his titan, his two malcadors, and his baneblade. He in turn managed to take down my tesseract vault, two transcendant c'tan and three out of four monoliths.

The game ended with a victory on my side, with me holding the most objectives and scoring the most kill points. I have to credit this with the tesseract vault, which felled three tanks in a single turn, and the pylon, which landed the killing shots on both the baneblade and the warhound.

I was a little disappointed to realize how fragile transcendant c'tan actually are. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Well, hopefully the new D weapons table is more forgiving towards all the cool stuff, so maybe it will make your apoc games more fair/varied.
But it sounded like you had a much better game, which is always awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts