Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have started another project Space Wolves as you may be able to tell from the title. I'm very conflicted as to what to paint these bad ass sons of Russ. I like the traditional paint scheme but my guard are kind of a light ice blue color and I'm worried that space wolves grey will look too similar. I was just wondering if you guys out there had some origional paint schemes and what they were so I can get motivated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Who says you have to paint them the traditional colours? Try mucking about with B&S space marine painter for colour schemes that you would like to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So what if they look similar to your guard... Just go for it mate or do a Successor Chapter of your own design using Space Wolves models - just paint them a slightly different colour.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I paint my space wolves the easiest way there is. Astronomicon Gray basecoat, wash the whole model with a 50/50 mix of asurman blue and badab black. Do detail work from there. No need for highlights on the blue/gray armor.

·
Angel Sanguine
642 Posts
I paint mine this way:

Primer: Chaos black
Basecoat: 2 layers of Fenris grey
Blacklining: Between the 2 layers of Fenris grey, blackline all recesses etc with a (1:5 or something) mix of Fenris grey and Chaos black
Next basecoat: 2 layers of a mix (1:2 or something, stupid me didn't write it down -.-) of Fenris grey and space wolves grey
First highlight: Mix of (1:2) The second basecoat mix and ... Space wolves grey or white, don't remember lol
Second highlight: Space wolves grey

I am really liking the way my models look when finished, though you reeeaaaaalllly need patience for it, which I am having serious trouble with :p

It should look something like this:

(Not finished model, but the armour is, though the light is playing some tricks on it)

If you want it faster, ditch the blacklining for a badab black or devlan mud wash, maybe only use one layer f paint instead of 2 (though I know which I prefer) and you could do only one highlight. This could of course translate to any paint, but I take it you are looking for what colours to use?

I hope it is of some use :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I personally stick with the powder blue. The lighter, the better. They're from an ice planet, there's a reason their color is nearly white. The recent trend in old school greys is pretty popular of late, but it harkens back to 1st edition colors when the backstory for the wolves was barely developed. My wolves are 41st millennium stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts