Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And then how do you apply them?

Do you just put in in the area you want it to pool in the recesses and dry?

·
Registered
361 Posts
nooooooooooo! lol

first of all their called washes. u water down the colour of choice (ie the GW paint colour u like) untill its very very thin (ie super runny) u put the tip of ur smallest brush into it and then paint on ur thumb to get rid of excess. then u slowly apply it to the area u want. thats the 'I want to apply a dark wash to around my rivet'

the other way is to dry brush it on then leave it to dry

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I do a more primitive method, somewhere between the two mentioned above. I don't dry the brush between colors when I want to use a wash, then, I dip the wet brush in the paint. I then apply the "wash" to the desired area, allow it to soak in for about 15-30 seconds, and then mop up the excess with a paper towel. It gives more of a shadowy look, useful for shadows and stuff.

·
Registered
361 Posts
and ink and wash are 2 very similar things. a wash is generally in blending/layering, the advantage with it is that u can use any colour and u dont get the sheen that u do with inks.

u can use a wash in the same way as an ink

·
Registered
804 Posts
Inks generally leave you with a luster(shiny!) though as an after coating while washes ive learned are good for showing aging and such on metals or darkened spots

·
Registered
11 Posts
i've never used a "wash". Just inks. Half and half with water, a coupe coats before complete, then let dry. and dry brush over top. It's a heavier cover, so makes for less paint mixing w/o taking away a ton of the hue.
My idea of a wash is to solidify and smooth some patchy paint after i finish dry brushing... being very careful NOT to get it in the crevices.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i've never used a "wash". Just inks. Half and half with water,
That is a wash.

Some other things. Basically more watering down turns it into a "glaze" which you apply a number of coats of. It's good for horses and Kroot 'n' such.

Also if you add some PVA glue to your mix the wash will gather more in recesses, and if you water down your wash with slightly soapy water using washing-up liquid the wash will gather less and so is suited to glazes (do not add a drip of washing-up liquid directly to the mix as that's way too much).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts