Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I came back to the game I've been playing a Khorne CSM army. This means lots of berzerkers, which in turn means I really need to get the charge. I've played a few games against three friends of mine who play orks, BA, and SW. I've been playing around with different ways of trying to make sure that I get the, oh so very important, charge.

I'm always running in a rhino and my first turn usually consists of moving as far forward as possible and poping smoke. At this point, I have to see what my opponent has done. A lot of times, I think this is actually the right time to exit the vehicle. If it seems possible, I will exit, then park the rhino in between my berzerkers and my target. What this sometimes will acomplish is that the unit can't quite get to me and on the next turn, I can move the rhino out of the way, move up, shoot pistols, and charge.

The other method I've been playing with lately is taking some summoned lesser demons. I know everyone hates them, but they have been awesome for acting as a poor man's anvil for me. I know they are pretty much a paper anvil, but when your hammer is Kharn and 8 berzerkers, who cares?

So how do you do it? What are the obvious tricks that I've been missing? I never want to get charged again!

·
Registered
390 Posts
An expensive but almost definate way to get the charge is to buy land raiders:p.
If you're not set on having a 'pure' khorne list then you can use lash of submission to feed units to your bezerkers.
The final way is to drive your rhino as close as you can to the enemy as you can and pop smoke so that when you disembark NEXT turn (you can assault out of any stationary vehicle) the target unit will be within 14" which is your charge range (2" disembark+6" move+6" charge=14" from vehicle.
Hope I've helped!:victory:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The final way is to drive your rhino as close as you can to the enemy as you can and pop smoke so that when you disembark NEXT turn (you can assault out of any stationary vehicle) the target unit will be within 14" which is your charge range (2" disembark+6" move+6" charge=14" from vehicle.
Hope I've helped!:victory:
This is great, yea I've been so worried about blocking the incoming charge with the rhino, that I didn't even think about charging out of a stationary rhino. Thanks man! I find a lot of this also depends on if and when the other guy's squad wants to get out of his transport. It's a mech world, and it creates some fun little chess matches.

Oh and I've got a Landraider on order :eek:k:

·
Registered
614 Posts
My Berzerkers often get the charge because someone is stupid enough to destroy their Rhino with a meltagun and not kill them after :p
But Supersonic Banana is right, get a Land Raider for Kharn and disembark from stationary Rhinos.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I always surprise people with special rules. For example my harlequins have the ability to fleet and ignore difficult terrain. Use these sorts of tactics to catch an opponant off guard.

Although being honest with the rhino tactic an opponant would have to be pretty stupid to look at the very closely parked rhino and not get the F*** away from it!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I always surprise people with special rules. For example my harlequins have the ability to fleet and ignore difficult terrain. Use these sorts of tactics to catch an opponant off guard.
Naughty naughty!:nono:

Although... you are just preying off their nievety(spelling!:ireful2:)

Although being honest with the rhino tactic an opponant would have to be pretty stupid to look at the very closely parked rhino and not get the F*** away from it!
Ah but the whole idea is to park so close that an infantry unit won't have a hope in hell of moving far enough away to avoid being charged.(remeber this is a 14" charge range:p)

One nice anti-transport tactic though is to 'wrap' a squad around a transport with every model 1" away so that the inhabitants can't even emergency disembarkand the transport can't move at all without breaking the rules!:p (If you know what I mean:scratchhead:)

EDIT: aah crap! I forgot about tank-shock!:ireful2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess this is a bit of what I pull with the summoned lesser demons. It always suprises me how many people don't know that they can charge on the same turn that they enter. I always have to pull out the codex and prove this. They're cheap enough that as long as they survive the fight, (even just one model) I've got that unit right where I want it.

The two problems I've encountered with them are; One, they're squishy enough that with some ugly rolling on my part and failed invuln. saves they can get wiped out and the unit can then make the move away from my would be charging unit. And two, the DS rules are just not reliable, often enough they can come on the board too early or too late to do exactly what I want them to do. I can still use them to go grab a wayward objective at this point, but I really like them as my paper anvil.

Thanks for all the great advice, got my landraider, now I just gotta paint it up and justify the point cost in my head :grin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts