Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was wondering. Do you build/plan your army then great the fluff around it? Or think of the fluff and pick models and tactics that work with the theme?

I am starting to collect a WOC army and have thought of a direction I won't to go in, and wondered how others did it?

Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well 40k wise I pick a theme and go for it.

Eg: Dark Angels, Drop reaction force.

Evey unit has a drop pod bar the Deathwing, they are painted all battered and damaged, everyone else is clean.

The raven wing have no pod either.

The theme is that the Deathwing were operating alone and needed help, the raven wing are deployed ahead and race forward with the 5th coy dropping in to help.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My choices for army are generally based on ones that I relate to on some level or can appreciate their story. That's and looking at the models and going "Those look cool" and wanting to paint them.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I usually find a theme or set of models I like and build a basic skeletal list. Then I find which fluff comes the closest to my initial sketches and work from there to fill out the list and background.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That depends, usually. For my dwarfs for example, I had this favorite model (Ungrim Ironfist) from when I was nine years or something, which I based the rest of the army on. In the case of my Eldar and Dark Eldar, I just wrote everything myself (although, I usually try to connect my fluff to the canon fluff).

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am putting my own fluff together based on the units I like and am collecting. This fluff has to be feasible based on the existing fluff put forth by GW.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like to base my armies on fluff and a theme, such as my pre heresy SW's and my developing High Elves, whilst making sure that they can be fielded "legally"!! But on the whole I buy the models I like and inspire me! It's my hobby and I can do what I like! Hahahahaa

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Well I play wood elves, so we don't have a lot of leeway in terms of unit choices... But the little that I did choose I did for fluff reasons (I love forest spirits, especially treemen, but also love those bastards in the green cloaks).

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I try to have an idea in mind that provides some purpose to my army. For example, my Dwarfs are an expedition that travels by ship, more or less an army of explorers. It has a "captain" in the form of a lord, as well as a few runesmiths, armored units and slayers. This emulates a sort of ragtag force, but still a coherent force. Then the story and fluff is solidified from there

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I try to have an idea in mind that provides some purpose to my army. For example, my Dwarfs are an expedition that travels by ship, more or less an army of explorers. It has a "captain" in the form of a lord, as well as a few runesmiths, armored units and slayers. This emulates a sort of ragtag force, but still a coherent force. Then the story and fluff is solidified from there
That sounds a good background story, I would imagin your any would hold a good amount of rangers and crossbowmen

·
Registered
118 Posts
like Einherjar667 says it all starts with a simple idea, for example my High elves i center around my favourite model which is the wizard, and then i come up with a colour scheme, and a reason as to why they may not look like the traditional high elves, maybe they just wanted to separate from the elves empire who knows... it has happened before. then from there i work out where in the world they would live, and how they got their, their purpose, how they survive and possibly thrive where they are. etc etc and from there is born a story.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Being new to warhammer I started by just throwing any old list together. Since buying Abaddon I centre it around him and the Black Legion. Every now and again a different HQ steps in while Abaddon has a day off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts