Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find it.

Is purely a hypothetical question, but I was curious.

Seeing as a lot of lists will include either Tervigon and/or Tyrannofex(es), what happens in competetive settings with size of base LoS rules etc?

Are there rules published beforehand? Or can you just not use them?

Surely if they are GW/ FW kit-bashed and MC-appropriate sized you can use?

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Kit bashing was the way we went for the Tervigon and to keep the TO from throwing a fit we utilized the oval base for the Tervigon. GW loves it when you kit bash ... sell sell sell.
if it is in the dex you can use it in a tourney as far as I know.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well most MCs fit on the Large monster base, so as long as your monster fits on that you meet base requirements. Also, IMO a tervigon would be equal in height to a carnifex so whatever monster you make, it should be roughly around the height of the carnifex model. As long as your monster is proportional to creatures of its size class, and is put on the right base, there's really nothing anyone can say against you. You can have an MC as thin as a plank of wood, since its not realistic (realistic being a loose term when used to describe brooding aliens XD). Its really a matter of blocking LOS and gaining cover that determines a model. A small and thin model on an MC base isn't fair since it will get a cover save very often. A very tall model like the trygon almost always has LOS when if there are small enemies hiding behind a wall, there's a greater chance a carnifex sized MC wouldn't be able to see them.

As for the tyrannofex, the codex says they are massive beasts. I'd think they'd be on the trygon/valkrye base as a start. For their dimensions, well thats a bit more free, but I wouldn't think they'd be taller than a trygon. Width-wise, its up in the air, but it should be proportional to the height. Its a monster of bulk like the carnifex, not of length like the trygon.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. +rep.

Was thinking hierodule would work as tyrannofex, but maybe too big? Dunno if that could be a concern?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Doubt it, as long as it fits on the appropriate sized base there's nothing anyone can say about it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe for tournament judges the model just has to be 50% GW pieces no matter where they come from. As far as base size I couldn't fond any actual rule that said what the base sizes need to be. Obviously they need to be at least as big as MC bases but nowhere does it say the tervigon or tyrannofex need to use the bigger oval bases.

·
4,491 Posts
Although i imagine the Tervigon to be similar size to the Carnifex (maybe slightly larger), i feel the Tervigon (and Tyrannofex) should be mounted on the oval bases.

The Carnifex is a T6 4W creature on a 60mm base.
The Trygon is a T6 6W creature on an oval base.
Both the Tervigon and the Tyrannofex are T6 6W, so i would imagine when GW finally release a model for them, they would be mounted on the oval (6W) base.

Seems like logic IMO.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Most Tyrranofex' I've seen are based off of Carnifexes, and on that base. A Trygon base might be fine.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Although i imagine the Tervigon to be similar size to the Carnifex (maybe slightly larger), i feel the Tervigon (and Tyrannofex) should be mounted on the oval bases.

The Carnifex is a T6 4W creature on a 60mm base.
The Trygon is a T6 6W creature on an oval base.
Both the Tervigon and the Tyrannofex are T6 6W, so i would imagine when GW finally release a model for them, they would be mounted on the oval (6W) base.

Seems like logic IMO.
I can see your logic, but we should also take function into it. While a Trygon is built to be a CC monster, a Tervigon isn't. A trygon's 6 attacks means that big beast is taking up a lot of space to perform his function of ripping apary whole squads of guys. Yes a Tervigon is supposed to be shitting out Termigants, but how much space is actually required to do that? If you look at the actual size of a Termi, and then think of say 15 of them all squished together in the belly of a Tervigon, I don't think they would take up a crazy amount of space, versus the massive amount of muscle and limbs required to do what a Trygon does? In my mind the Tervigon model would just look like a fat slightly larger (but not much larger) Carnifex.

Until its official, theres no right answer. But thats how I see.

·
Registered
178 Posts
King of cheese your logic is sound, as is zadens counter. We must remember this is a rules question so you must throw logic out the window.(Pretty sure thats what gw does while they make them.) As a rules question the answer must be found in what is written in the rules and faqs or what isn't. I looked for a while for some rule on their bases before i put mine on carnifex bases. i couldnt find anything so i dont see a problem until they make an official model.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
I have to agree with logic going out the window. How, pray tell, are you to get 16 of power armored marines into a Land Raider Crusader ... so not going to happen. The thing to remember is, while they have no official model out you can make something that looks really cool and not a person can tell you it is wrong if it at least comes close to what it should represent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts