Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thought just struck me, how do they gain their implants?

Is it perhaps a case of buying them? Are there shops on Mars and other forgeworlds with signs touting two-for-one stomach implants and discount eyes? Is there a martian street vendor called Vivisect My Own Trachea Dibbletron4B wandering around with a tray of tin foil wrapped peglegs and VCR tape "Memory Units"?

Or do they get given them upon reaching a new level of understanding? "You have completed the Ancient and Holy Haynes Manuals primer, now come with us, we're going to implant a claw hammer in the bridge of your nose"

Or possibly, do they just build them themselves in their spare time between making lasgun power packs and get Bob the blind servitor to weld them on?

In all seriousness, I don't think I've ever seen it explained. We know they get them, and the more they get the higher ranked they must be, but I just don't remember the Mechanics (har har) of the process being explained.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
A combination between promotion (recieving augmentation from their superiors for good work) and personal self-experimentation (although they probably program servitors to actually attach something like a new arm). Tech-Priests' personal chambers tend to be as much workshop as lodgings, at least in Betrayer where a prominent Magos has his own personal foundry and a small army of servitors, so I imagine most of it is self-designed and self-implemented.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's my feeling too. At the lower levels, it's a reward. The MA is, in many ways, a mystery cult. And there are probably lots of diverging branches, since one piece of cybertech precludes others.

At higher levels, there's probably personal experimentation. The Magos engages in mix-n-match with various approved technologies. Though, even at the higher levels, status still seems to allow better upgrades.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I've always seen it as the rewards for achieving understanding and performing your duties to the Omnissiah with skill and reliability. The more productive etc the further you are promoted to the more/better augmetics you receive. Hence, you understand more and are more productive etc etc.....

Implant orgies
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
You should really play Borderlands series XD This is CL4PTR4P to a T.
Is that the one with the cartoony art? :)

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Also, in Titanicus they describe adjusting to their jobs with various packages. So, if you're in a particular position in the hierarchy, you get a particular "base" package.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Implant orgies
I've always seen it as the rewards for achieving understanding and performing your duties to the Omnissiah with skill and reliability. The more productive etc the further you are promoted to the more/better augmetics you receive. Hence, you understand more and are more productive etc etc.....

"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
I'm stealing these awesome quotes for my signature :grin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wonder how many upgrades are from tightly hidden STC templates? Probably a lot, where only select societies have access, and the elite trade and steal knowledge to get better implants.

There are rumored to be incredibly old magos on Mars. So, obviously the technology trickles uphill.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
And also remember that the higher up you are the more access you have to tech and possibly your own forge, which means you can use all your techny bits on yourself. The more you lop off and replace, the closer you are to the Omnissiah.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts