Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tons of GM and russes and a bit of kaserkin. i get shot to pieces by tau and swamped by orks. What should i do?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Against tau I would suggest trying to mount your karskins in a vehicle and get into close combat with them. and use your russ' to take out enemy tanks, and mobile units.

Against the orks I would suggest getting as many of your guys into cover as possible and wait for them. This gives you more turns to fire at them and when they do assault into your men you will strike first due to your being entrenched, unless the assaulter has frags in which case you will strike at the same time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
first off, your imperial guard, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING should outshoot you.

Do not send karskin into CC, their a shooting unit, not assualt. Their guardsmen in assualt.

Agasint tau, use basilisks with indirect and stick them behind cover and shoot away. Tau will be forced to move or they will be blown away. Tau have great AT, but no artillry units, use that advantage. Also, put heavy bolters or autocannons in your inafntry squads. Great range and ap4. (this is a standard tau list, btw)

Against orks, are they foot slogging or speed freaks. I need to know beacuse it changes everything.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Target the vehicles with everything you have and then target whats left.... keep a couple of flamers handy in counter-assault units behind your lines... make sure that when the orks reach you (and they will), your units are at least 6 inches apart so that they cannot consolidate after their own turn... Then, its BURNINATIN' TIME!

Orks love flamers, I hear....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have to say that a Gunline IG army is all about the placement. Squads should be placed in cover and 6" apart. They should be able to concentrate fire on a single target from multiple squads. They should have elite or HQ squads handy for counter-charges (more than 6" but less than 12", or in a transport).

Many armies win or loose when picking the list. Guard wins or looses in deployment. Your core backbone battleline should not move, but your shock troops and HQ should be able to get to any part of your line in short order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your having trouble with speed freaks make sure you have autocannons in your infantry squads. There perfect for wasting av:10.

I would also make sure you have some counter assualt, ogryn are very effective against regular boyz squads.

I would also stay in cover (duh!) and take advantage of close order drill. Youll get initiative 4, so at the worst you srtike at the same time.

orks are slow, so one or two flamers might be useful. Definetly space out like soporific said, deny massacre moves into your squads then rapid fire away. Lasguns are useful against orks, especially when your rapid firing 60 shots into them.

Also, be wary of which trukk has his boss in it. lots of times these CS's are tooled up in mega armour which can be a real bitch.

The time to strike against speed freaks is when they just moved. orks are slow so most ork players will get as close as possible with their 24in trukk movement, often leaving them in the open. Hit the transports with autocannons, then use your templates to smack them around. Thin them out ebough so that you can finish them off with the bayonet.

Also, dont be afround to counter assualt boyz, there t4, but have a 6+ save. 25 bayonet attacks can be effective.

also, remeber that your officers are there for ld purposes, not to assualt a mob of 20 boyz. They are not space marine comanders. Youll need them to keep your army on the board. This is not to say they can assist in assualt, but just make sure there in a winnable fight.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
280 Posts
I have tons of GM and russes and a bit of kaserkin. i get shot to pieces by tau and swamped by orks. What should i do?
If you're willing to risk it, load up on the Russes against the Tau.

Althought Tau have great AT capabilities, it's concentrated in their heavy support, and if it's in Hammerheads then it's relatively easy to shut down. If you keep your Russes out of sight for the first couple of turns while your Lascannons get busy destroying the Railheads (or just breaking the railgun) then after that you can run your Russes out into the open and plug away without any sort of worry. At the same time retreat your infantry out of sight. It generally makes for a very frustrated Tau player who'll most likely be unable to damage your tanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts