Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought a lot on ebay and some of the metal figs came with some serious over use of glue (It really is everywhere) I want to get that off and re build them pinning and just doing it correctly. I've searched and for paint stripping solutions but I couldnot get a clear conclusion on what will get rid of my glue. It appears to be some sort of superglue cause its whitish. Any ideas would be great

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
yeah, i usually use needle files...

though you might wanna try something...

put a model you wouldn't be afraid to lose in the freezer for an hour. take it out, run it under warm water, and apply an old toothbrush and some dish detergent to the glue. the combination of hot/cold change, toothbrush, water and soap might be enough to dislodge everything...

i've tried this for paint, and it works wonderfully :biggrin:

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you have any acetone lying around, a few minutes in that will melt it to the point that you can pull it off with tweezers. You need to be careful though because that stuff is seriously noxious. Ventilation is not enough, you need a rebreather.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I never learned not to experiment with household chemicals as a child, and periodically, I get rather interesting results when I mix common household cleaners in the pursuit of stripping paint prior to discovering the joys of Simple Green. A chemical cocktail of WD-40, grout remover, and nailpolish remover pretty much melts any binding agent... although if you try that, be sure to do it outside because WD-40 + most grout removers produces a rather nasty toxic gas...

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Nail Varnish remover with Acetone... I did it with my metal chaos terminators they are now basecoated with mechrite red and look brand new.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If it is really thick carefully use a flathead screwdriver and a hammer and gently tap some of it off and then nailpolish remover is what I have found to work best.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Nail Polish Remover works pretty well...just fill up a model-sized glass and let it simmer for a few minutes. Then you can just take it apart.

-Dirge

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nail Polish Remover works pretty well...just fill up a model-sized glass and let it simmer for a few minutes. Then you can just take it apart.

-Dirge
Does this work with plastic minis as well or will it melt the plastic? I recently received a bunch of crisis suits/broadsides that were put together somewhat poorly.

And this isn't necromancy, it's a valid question to which an old thread applies :grin:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Don’t use nail polish remover on the plastic figures, in my experience (got some used figures as well, stripping and repainting) makes them tacky and begins to degrade the plastic, so they warp and pit.
Well, crud. How do you get glue off of plastic then? (Especially from inside joints and thigns where you can reach with a tool)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts