Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, just curious but how what brought you to the army(s) you play today, if at all?

I got mine by when I started 3years ago and picked up black reach+ some marines.
Hated the play style, everything but loved the fluff.
Friends recommended I picked up tau, guess were my Xmas money went:)
Loved them, playstyle, fluff, models, techyness, everything, played for a while and their my main army to this day.
Picked lizardmen for a short time, hated fantasy, and the army so soon dropped them
Them picked up flesh tearers as I loved their fluff, then loved their playstyle, everything, so their my side army still.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I started SWs back when the first codex came out in 2nd Ed. Loved the look and fluff of the space viking theme. The models were a huge step up on what was there previously. Having some of the most powerful characters in the game helped as well. Been going strong for nearly 20 years with them.

After threatening to start a new army after the new DE, Demons, Nid and Necron codexes, I finally took the plunge when the new Tau book came out. I loved the Farsight fluff, and the possibility of building an army around battlesuits. Having some great looking new models helped sway my decision as well.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
Well let's see, what I currently play are 'Nidzilla, Sisters, Coven DE, Iron Hands.

'Nidzilla. I've always loved the idea of an army with just huge centre pieces. So when I was getting into the hobby I didn't rally do it to game more so collect models I liked. At Some point my local GW did a beginners day, where you learnt the the basics of movement, shooting and assault. Then at the end the beginners got to pick an army from the store display based on what they had started to collect/what they would start to battle against the two store staff. Even though I had a converted Nurgle Demon Prince at home with Balrog wings, when I saw how many big bugs Nids could field - Elite Fexes at the time - I picked them. And slowly built up my big bugs, had to sell them off a few years ago, but slowly building my Hive back up in anticipation for the new one.

Dark Eldar. When me and my friends went into the store to look at models for our future starting armies. We asked a few of the players what the armies we like that we fancied. Me I was drawn to DE, the whole nature of them screamed to me and my personality, torturing sick bastards, took glee in the downright perverted, disturbed acts of unspeakable twisted nature. Loved them. But after speaking to a few of the players they told me to avoid them because they weren't forgiving to new players - tactics and codex age. But I loved the fluff, so I devoured all that I could on them and eagerly waited when they got a new codex which finally came many many many years later, was actually the first thing I'd ever pre-ordered from GW.

Sisters. I was always the guy in my group of friends who would play the girls in all the fighting games etc, I just have a fondness with female characters. When I found out what Sisters were, next day week in went and brought 2 boxes of Sisters, Kazimov - sorry but it's a huge ass throne what's not to love! - and a Penitent Engine. Don't use them as often as I'd like since I don't bring them beyond 1k point games.

Iron Hands? Where to start, most players have had Marines in some form of another mine are Iron Hands a point I think I'm rather vocal about on this forum, if I'm not then let me know and I'll yell some more. It was when I was reading up on marines, the Horus Heresy - still new to the hobby at this point and its fluff. And one of my favourite parts to read about was the Adeptus Mechanicus - dear god GW I'll sell you my organs if it will get you make them an army! - loved the whole Machine aspect, then read about them having close ties to the Iron Hands and it sorta of escalated from there. Buying models every now and then, painting them up in IH colours eventually getting enough to take part in small games using my friends SM codex. - we shared all our codexes to save money seeing how we were only in High School at the time -, then it grew and grew along with my love for them, to the point where I'm throwing down £70 just for a cover on a codex.

That's all 4 that I play now, discounting all my other ventures over the years.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I played smurfs in 2nd and always had my eye on an SOB army.

When i picked up the game again in 4th i saw the amazing new tactical marine box and figured there must be some awesome SOB kits. I was rather disheartened to learn they were exactly the same miniatures as when i left the hobby, except for a few little tweaks.

I looked through everything else, every other army on the website, but the gorgeous multi-pose plastic marines were too tempting and i decided to do another marine army. I looked through tons of fluff for obscure but interesting chapters - smurfs were fun but i wanted something different.

I finally settled on Salamanders as i loved their fluff, and they weren't very prominent at all despite being a founding chapter. Over the last 8 years the sallies have got lots of love and i've enjoyed finding more and more out about the chapter, adapting my home made fluff to fit around the 'canon' stuff.

I've dabbled into Tau, Tyranids and almost Orks and grey knights, but never got past the planning stages of an army.

One day we'll get plastic SOB kits and i'll finally have a 2nd army.....

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Played Dark Angels since the dawn of time. They've had time as Word Bearers (robes are universally applicable), but I've always had them. Tried out Necrons, Tyranids, Orks, and Imperial Guard, but none of them appealed to me as much as my latest army; Dark Eldar. I've always had a thing for Dark Eldar, but didn't pick them up in 5th due to low income and high starting costs. Now I have money, I can bring my dream to life and actually build them.

Midnight

·
Registered
992 Posts
Psycho Clowns in Space...need I say more? Started Harlies back in 2ed/RT days, briefly switched to marines when they removed Harlequins in 3ed and then sat out until recently. I like a real "in your face" aggressive play style and the glass cannon Harlequins filled that role nicely. My marine list also tends to be pretty aggressive, so I am looking forward to the new White Scars Chapter Tactics.

See the Army Blogs in my sig if you want more info.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Bright green powerhouses that can weaponize almost anything? can take multiple rounds from any weapon before eating dirt? Orks drew me to them just for sheer chaos and massive damage then create.

I first collected Tau when they first came out but missed not having close combat units and having kroot which are cool but once i saw orks they were for me.

I went army mad at first with about 2.5 green tides swamping and stomping everything but once i realised and took up the painting and sculpting i restarted them and ground up again :)

I sort of collect space marines, the new stuff looks great but I havent worked on them for ages but my fluff on them needs a rework and units converting. I like the backgrounds your can create for both orks and space marines.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
One does not choose the Inquisition, The Inquisition chooses you.
Called and you must answer......

Or it might have been the cool new mini's I saw when they first came out.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I always have had a fascination with military history, mostly World Wars I and II, so Imperial Guard immediately stuck out to me. Then I needed to decide just how I wanted to play with them first, and since one of my favorite battles is the Battle of Kursk from World War two, I started thinking about playing tank heavy Imperial Guard with well trained and equipped forces, sort of like how the Wermacht operated on a good day. After playibg my first game and fielding four Leman Russ' and three Chimeras, I'm happy to say I like my choice haha But one thing I didn't like was the lack of endurance my soldiers had, even with the 4+ save I bought them, so I just recently started painting and assembling Night Lords to serve as an allied detachment for now, before becoming their own independent army later.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I made a start on tyranids back in either 1999 or 2000, before they received their 3rd edition codex. I gave up after a while because they were just using a shortened army list in the back of the rulebook and options were very limited with them.

In late 2012 I decided to make another return to the hobby and found tyranids light years ahead of where they once were, with a range of units and models on par with anything else in 40k. I haven't regretting starting nids and I've really enjoyed working on them. My army is almost finished now

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Started out with Orks when Black Reach came out, i loved my Orks, but then one day i picked up the Chaos Codex and i was in love (Slaanesh found me) and since then have concentrated on Chaos, but now i am expanding to other Armies, but not as grand as my Chaos and Orks.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
My brother got the 3rd ed. starter for me and my sister to start playing (that one had SM and DE) and I decided I liked red. Then I found BA, who are red, and was like "sure" in my six year old way, and to this day I thank the dice gods for my adolescent ignorance, as it brought me to the greatest army in this dark universe.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Started RT/2ed dabbled in a few different races & then after fracturing hip & having lots of time on my hands arrived back with Raptors Sm & Eldar with now a dabbling of IG too

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Been collecting CSM since I've been in the hobby, more or less. 6e's ally chart has been my undoing (though I suppose I had branched into daemons before then, tbh). Now have daemons and guard as well.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I've b been collecting chaos marines and daemons since the rogue trader 2nd ed days. I started off with basic marines but quickly moved to chaos.

Chaos marines had the coolest and weirdest looking models out there. And at the time they were the most challenging thing to paint that GW made. I wanted to get better and I knew I wouldn't improve all that much with the loyalists.

Besides the villains are always more fun. =)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wanted to begin with the Tau, but >.> I eventually opted to the Necrons in fifth due to their easier paint jobs, and I stuck with them until their old codex's tactical inflexability made me shift to the CSM, but eventually I shifted back to the crons again just before I left my FLGS and have stuck with them ever since. But I have the codex for the Tau and CSM though ^.^' and I still collect their models.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Back in RT days I started with Ultramarines, Dark Angles and Space wolves but all my friends played loyalist and I just could not see why Ultramarines would fight Ultramarines so I went to Chaos. I loved how I could convert and make different models that were legal and playable and they looked different from everyone else. Then GorkaMorka came out and I found the master converters that fought everyone and I have been a mad orker for the last 20+ years.

I picked up the Dark Eldar codex this week and now I am going to build a dark eldar army. THis will be mainly a modeling project I am going to challenge myself to see what conversions I can do to this army while keeping it competitive.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I found BA, who are red, and was like "sure" in my six year old way, and to this day I thank the dice gods for my adolescent ignorance, as it brought me to the greatest army in this dark universe.
hahah bang on man, pretty much the same here. I have always liked BA, started with the red armour and blood lust despite being so prim and proper. Started in on the fluff, loved how Sanguinius went down. I'll always love me space vampires. Now that I'm more into playing the game as an adult, I am truly lucky that the BA have evolved into more or less the perfect play style for me.

When Necrons came out and there was zombie robots though? Shit. I was sold. They will never replace my red tide, but I love them all the same. Zombie robots. Come on.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I haven't been into the hobby that long, when I first began looking at Warhammer I read all about the Space Wolves and thought "Yeah, they're fucking awesome" then saw the models and thought there was no way I could paint them to a standard I'd be happy with.

So I bought a Space Marines force, painted them up Ultramarines and slowly learnt from scratch how to paint. Eventually I started churning out models that were a decent TT standard and thought "fuck it, let's invest in what I really want" - Sold my Ultramarines and bought my first Wolves and haven't looked back since with about 3.8k collected and painted now!

I honestly can't see myself leaving them for another army.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts