Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading in galaxy in flames(i think it was) that horus says he only contacted the primarchs that he thought he could turn, hense he never contacted khan guilliman lion etc. He also mentions he had to offer them something in return for their support.
So what my question is what did he offer each individual primarch in return for their support?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
For the most part he didn't actually offer them a physical reward, moreso he used his skills in oratory and diplomacy to appeal to his brother's egos, ambitions and weaknesses.

Thinking about it though he didn't actually have to personally turn that many. Fulgrim, Perturabo, Angron and Mortarion were the only ones he had to turn, and even then the Daemon was whispering in Fulgrim's ear aiding Horus' cause.

Curze was already a renegade and opposed to the Imperium before the Heresy erupted. Magnus forced himself/was forced into Chaos' and thus Horus' embrace. Lorgar was devoted to Chaos before even Horus. And Alpharius Omegon joined Horus for undisclosed reasons, likely having something to do with the Xenos Cabal.

As for the ones he did turn. He appealed to Fulgrim's arrogance and ego, but it was the Daemon that truly made him join Horus. That leaves Angron, Mortarion and Perturabo. Angron never saw eye to eye with the Emperor and was always a bloodthirsty murderer, he was manipulated by Horus even when they were both loyal, it didn't therefore take much to bring him into the rebellion. Perturabo had long been bitter and jealous, fed up of the unjustified way in which his Legion was treated by the Emperor, and the amount of praise he heaped on Perturabo's rivals. Perturabo's bitterness culminated in the massacre of Olympia, which pushed him into Horus' grasp. Mortarion is slightly harder to justify, given that no obvious reasons are there nor have been given. But ultimately its assumed that its due to Typhon's influence, his admiration for the strong and despisation of the weak (note that he viewed the Imperium as being taken over by weakling mortals who were usurping the warriors and warlords who had conquered the Galaxy - The Council of Terra taking power from the War Council for example), his bond with Horus, possibly his underlying hatred for the Emperor after it was he who killed the Tyrant of Barbarus and not Mortarion, his belief that the Emperor was selfishly seeking godhood, Et cetera.

But you've also got to take into account that Lorgar had embraced Chaos decades before Horus, and thus had been working to plant the seeds of heresy throughout the Legions for a long time. The First Heretic for example tells us that Chaplains were despacthed to each Legion and warrior lodges fostered in most as one method of attempted corruption.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Horus indeed had some luck he had so many Primarchs on his side. Without some lucky events he would have never made it to Terra and his rebellion would have ended alot sooner.

Mortarion indeed is only Primarch that i cant find or think any reasonable answer to why he was turned. He didnt have any grudge against emperor as so many other traitor primarchs had. Typhus couldnt influence him so much maybe there had to be other reason. Was Typhus turned by Erebus too, cant remember that but Warrior Lodges had some part in this.

As said above why some turned:

Mortarion - ?
Angron - Angry to his father
Perturabo - His legion used many times as occupation force
Fulgrim - Possessed by demon
Magmus - Horus played part in this, either get him killed, turned or his legion along with Wolves devastated
Konrad - Own agenda
Alpharius - Own agenda
Lorgar - First traitor Primarch

Horus would have been most having maybe only few of Primarchs on his side but due to lucky events had about half of them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Primarchs are all guilty of genocide on planetary levels, and I think Angron had very strong sense of honour (He was a gladiator with a VERY Strong sense of comradeship, as can be seen by his honour scars, and the way he speaks of his former male and female brothers in the gladiator ring).

I think he was bitter, and he lashed out the only way he knew how. This does not excuse his blood rituals, or the extreme tactics, it just shows that as far as he was concerned, only the people who shed blood with him were worthy of being his brothers.

Also the worlds he conquered in his fathers name, they are technically his fathers property, and by basically leaving them as charnel houses, he is getting back at his father.

His every action since not being allowed to die has been to destroy everything that his father built.

Which is another reason I have no love for the Emp.

He could have saved all those people, but I am sure he realised that they would have influence over Angron in ways neither HE nor the other Primarchs would.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Angron had a hatred to the Emperor when they basically first met I believe, as the Emp teleported Angron off the planet he was on just as he and his gladiator brothers in arms were about to fight their enemy to the death, and he had to simply sit there and watch his loyal men get slaughtered. So I would think Angron has always had something inside of him wanting to get revenge on the Emperor.

As for Mortarian, the best I can think of is that Typhus was pledged to Nurgle before Mortarian. Typhus then killed the navigators and told Mortarian he could navigate them, but he led them into a trap were Mortarian was told my nurgle that either he devote himself and his legion to Nurgle or suffer a horrible death. So I think Mortarian turned because maybe he wanted to save his Legion?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Angron had a hatred to the Emperor when they basically first met I believe, as the Emp teleported Angron off the planet he was on just as he and his gladiator brothers in arms were about to fight their enemy to the death, and he had to simply sit there and watch his loyal men get slaughtered. So I would think Angron has always had something inside of him wanting to get revenge on the Emperor.

As for Mortarian, the best I can think of is that Typhus was pledged to Nurgle before Mortarian. Typhus then killed the navigators and told Mortarian he could navigate them, but he led them into a trap were Mortarian was told my nurgle that either he devote himself and his legion to Nurgle or suffer a horrible death. So I think Mortarian turned because maybe he wanted to save his Legion?
Mortarion seems like a git from the 1K sons novel. More like save himself. He complained bitterly about magic and sorcery in condemning the 1K sons, so why when OBVIOUS magic/sorcery offered salvation he took help. Why not die honourably by his own hand, or destroy the ship.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Thats how he fell to Nurgle, not how he ended up joining Horus (which happened a fair while before). :)

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I think that Horus appealed to each traitor primarchs successes and failures. It seemed that every primarch had success not seen by the Emperor and failures that were really bolded out by the Emperor and the Imperium.

Primarch-Success-Failure
Angron- His brotherhood with his fellow gladiators-his aggressive brain implants
Mortarion-Toughest Legion-failed to live up to their traits when the plague hit them
Fulgrim-embodyment of perfectection-tratedgy that happened to the legion from thestart
Magnus-Most powerful pycher and librarian-didn't know what powers to touch/use
Perturabo-best siegest, smartest in terms of technology-only world to have rebellion
Logar-most loyal to the emperor-idealogy different from emperor's
Curze-knew how to get things done in terms of world compliance-he became demonized as he was created into a monster by Dorn by his acts which Dorn did not approve

Some of these failures of course, are what the Emperor saw as flaws, not necessarly failures.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Child-of-the-Emperor's answer is more than sufficing for the intended question, but two things I think should be mentioned is that concerning Ferrus Manus and the Iron Hands, and Magnus and the Thousand Sons. For the former, it is mentioned often throughout the Post-Davin parts of False Gods after Horus' resurrection, Galaxy in Flames and even Fulgrim, of Horus' want, if not need to persuade Ferrus Manus to his cause. The main reason probably being Manus' strong connection's to the Mechanicum of Mars, again, the ceramite and admantine backbone of the Imperial war-machine, but also Fulgrim's close nature with the Primarch. I suppose it's possible to say that no matter how much flattery Horus poured onto Fulgrim's ego, he would need to either sever the bond of friendship between Fulgrim/Manus, or to draw Manus into his ''righteous'' Crusade against the bureaucratic ''corruption'' the Imperium was headed for. Of course, those who have read Fulgrim know that the Emperor's Children failed to honey-trap the Iron Hands and thus annihilated them at Isstvan V.

Another interesting point is that concerning Magnus and his Legion. I think and please bare with me, those who wish to correct/verbally flay me, that Horus manipulated Russ into utterly destroying Prospero, instead of putting it under harsh reprimands like the Emperor originally intended (False Gods and my dreadful memory being my source) This, combined with Tzeentch/One of the Change God's lieutenants admittance that Magnus was the Ruinous Power's first choice in their gambit to destroying the Emperor 's creation, show's Magnus' strength and overall importance. We can guess from this, that Horus saw Magnus as not only an incredible threat, but possibly a rival or even the thing that would sway the Galactic-wide war in either faction’s side. Horus' decision to wipe the Thousand Sons from the face of the Galaxy instead of using his polished flattery and charm upon Magnus is very interesting.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think it has been almost confirmed that it was Horus which changed orders of Leman or said something to him that made him come to destroy 1k Sons instead of arresting them. Think that Custodes was just with him to prove that he was under Emperors orders and not as fighting force. Sisters on other hand were maybe just as safe measure if things would go wrong or to prove how serious situation was.

Think Horus planned these 2 Legions to utterly destroy eachothers and maybe at same time get chance to turn Magnus to traitors side. Wonder if he tried to sway Leman too at same time. And whatabout other loyal Primarchs? I think he was quite close with Sanguinius too. But i guess that after Horus went traitor, he simply didnt have enough time before Istvaan to try others too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
in "Ravens Flight" Corax was contemplating Angrons motivations...concluding that it must have been "Freedom"...freedom from constraint...from holding back...a pricelss gift...and the -perfect- way to edge the likes of Angron into irrevocable Chaos!

...im sticking to it! :p

"Age of Darkness" is comming out next year :shout: ...perhaps we shall learn all that we ask!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think Mortarion's allegience to Horus' Crusade and his later fall to Nurgle should be written of and made clear; certainly to the degree that Horus, Fulgrim, Alpharius/Omegon, Magnus and Lorgar have been.

To my petite ''wishlist'', I will add Konrad Curze*, Perturabo and Angron. Curze may indeed have his story fleshed out and explained within the Night Lords series, but I'd still enjoy a Horus Heresy novel, featuring some of the characters from Soul Hunter; just as McNeill plans to use characters from Storm of Iron for his ''Iron Warrior Heresy Novel''.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
To my petite ''wishlist'', I will add Konrad Curze*, Perturabo and Angron. Curze may indeed have his story fleshed out and explained within the Night Lords series, but I'd still enjoy a Horus Heresy novel, featuring some of the characters from Soul Hunter; just as McNeill plans to use characters from Storm of Iron for his ''Iron Warrior Heresy Novel''.
Really, great. Forrix and Kroeger were cool and seeing them in Heresy era would be sweet, a shame Honsou won't be there though. He's the king of the Iron Warriors.

ADB semi-confirmed that if he does a Night Lords heresy novel it will be about 1st Captain Sevatar, and that Talos and 10th Company won't be featured. Perhaps we can hope for a cameo like Zso Sahaal's in Soul Hunter but apart from that, I hope he sticks to this. Talos and First Claw are awesome but Sevatar is promising, and though he won't survive the Heresy (ADB has already confirmed that Sevatar dies at some point in the Heresy and is replaced by Sahaal), I do want to learn more about the very first man to utter 'Death to the False Emperor!'. Who wouldn't?.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
ADB semi-confirmed that if he does a Night Lords heresy novel it will be about 1st Captain Sevatar, and that Talos and 10th Company won't be featured. Perhaps we can hope for a cameo like Zso Sahaal's in Soul Hunter but apart from that, I hope he sticks to this. Talos and First Claw are awesome but Sevatar is promising, and though he won't survive the Heresy (ADB has already confirmed that Sevatar dies at some point in the Heresy and is replaced by Sahaal), I do want to learn more about the very first man to utter 'Death to the False Emperor!'. Who wouldn't?.
I agree. Writing about Talos and 10th during the Heresy would really shatter some of the potential, and be quite dull in all honesty. It's already looking like Talos will get 6 novels, he doesn't need a Heresy one as well! Other Night Lord characters needs to be explored, and from what little we know on Sevatar from The First Heretic, he sounds ace.

Now a cameo appearance is different though, and would be quite cool. Like the brief mention and different perspective of Zso Sahaal in Soul Hunter. :)

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I could see Sevatar being killed by Corax on Istvaan if he is indeed going to die.

On topic, i was mostly under the impression that Mortarion had never really forgiven the Emperor for killing the tyrant on Barbarus and wasn't devoted to him like the others. The i assume Horus used that to turn him

·
Registered
32 Posts
Magnus forced himself/was forced into Chaos' and thus Horus' embrace.
As far as I recall, Horus actually contacted Russ after the Emperor had dispatched him to Prospero, and convinced Russ to change his mission from "Bring Magnus to Terra" to "Wipe out the Sons".

Consequently, Horus actually did have a hand in Magnus turning fully to Tzeentch's embrace in order to save the Thousand Sons. If Russ hadn't gone in with a search and destroy mentality, transporting Tizca to the eye of terror using chaos-borne power wouldn't have been necessary. With that said, until Abnett's book; Prospero Burns comes out, we won't know exactly what Horus said. (correct me if i'm wrong.)

PS: What you said is still correct, I just wanted to note that Horus did play what I feel is a fairly significant part in Magnus turning to Chaos.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I've wondered before is Magnus ever found out that Horus changed the order from "bring him to me" to "destroy them". Can't imagine him being ecstatic to find out he had done so

1 - 20 of 40 Posts