Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
The metallic edge highlights look great, nice job.
Are you going for a Gem effect with the lights? If so, I usually base coat, dark wash, and then highlight the bottom right of the Gem with two blended layers of progressively lighter base coat. Finishing off with a white dot on the top left. Either that, or just quick basecoat, wash, then highlight with a watered down basecoat and gloss varnish for a quick effect.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The metallic edge highlights look great, nice job.
Are you going for a Gem effect with the lights? If so, I usually base coat, dark wash, and then highlight the bottom right of the Gem with two blended layers of progressively lighter base coat. Finishing off with a white dot on the top left. Either that, or just quick basecoat, wash, then highlight with a watered down basecoat and gloss varnish for a quick effect.
Thanks man, I just started guard again and I wanted to try something other that Cadians lol.

It's actually a dawnbreaker highlight. I think it might just be a shit camera that is ruining the photo a bit.:laugh:

And thanks for the gem tips!. I can never seem to do them right.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Highlights are very stark IMHO but that can also be due to the light. that being said it doesn't look bad at all just very defined. when i do gems or windows i try to follow this guide the top one would be more than sufficient to give you the effect that your looking for. Id also recommend grabbing some Ardcoat and painting the ports with that after youre done to add to the effect.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
It's better than I've managed with my own edge highlighting, though I'm about to throw myself into the trials of experimentation and grueling repetition to try to improve myself in that regard, a little.

I do think the barrel of the demolisher cannon could use a black or brown wash, though: it's a bit of a large block of just "single metallic paint," and has some nice crannies to hold washes. Mind you, you might well not be done and are just asking on feedback on the highlighting in particular, so I totally acknowledge I might be stepping over my bounds a bit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Since you asked, it depends.
If you are high-lighting just to give some contrast then it is a little heavy for my taste.
If you are high-lighting to show wear then some areas could be heavier to show heavier use and others lighter. As an example the edges of the hatch could be picked out for wear but not the under-sides of panels that would get no wear. So any edges could have a very light edge just to set them off and heavier applications to areas subject to wear and tear.
I would re-do the gun barrel and just have shiny the short sections of the recoil cylinders' shafts and barrel next to the mantlet.
I hope this was helpful, not hurtful!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts