Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know the Tau (I have an army of Tau so don't moan!) are one of the most advanced races in the galaxy, second to Eldar but tau seem to have better tanks . so if they could survive the tyranids, orks, eldar, dark eldar, space marines, chaos daemons, chaos space marines, imperial guard and the rest of the tyranids how advanced would they become? Obviously these guys create new tech quite often, so I'm thinking along the lines of moblie plasma rifles with cooling systems, advanced armour that is strong and light, clever drones and popcorn machines.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You would be better of putting this in the fluff section, as its more fluff based.

Anyway considering how fast theyve evolved and developed socially and technologically, they'd prob advance quite far, perhaps reach the standards of what the eldar once were, empire wise, but with how the 40k universe is going i dont know if they would last that far.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fluff correction: First, everyone's second in tech to the Necrons :biggrin: Then come the Eldar/Dark Eldar (although you wouldn't believe it considering how frail they are), and then the Tau.

While I like the Tau quite a bit, they're an extremely small fraction in comparison to the other major players, thus any tech would be rendered meaningless due to their overall tiny population. Presumably, however they could substantially improve what they already have, given time.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would just like to point out that the orks have force field and teleportation tech, besides weren't the Tau still trying to figure out how to travel using the warp? :p

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warp_jump

:laugh:

Seriously though, they do seem to have come quite far, quite fast. They do live in a very hostile galaxy though, and their total population is quite small by comparison to the older races. I have a hard time thinking they'll achieve what the Necrons, Eldar, or Imperium have achieved anytime soon.

That being said, I imagine we'll continue to see new tech in each new codex as has been the case for each race thus far. GW wants to make new models, because new models = new sales, therefore Tau will invent cool new stuff guaranteed! :good:

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I would rank Orks before Tau, seeing as they can buid anything, and suprisingly it will work.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Tau will always be gimped by the fact that they don't have Psykers, and thus don't have Warp Travel or communications.

Eventually they might overcome this with hyperadvanced technology, but in the mean time they have to survive against races the can travel faster than they can, outnumber them hundreds (sometimes thousands) to one, and have wizards. The only race that ever managed to do this (that i'm aware of) was the Necrontyr, and they only pulled it off with knowledge given to them by the C'Tan, and it still ended poorly for them.

Also, i may be wrong here, but didn't the Dark Eldar just recently discover and take interest in the Tau (in their new codex)? If that is true, then the near future looks very grim for them indeed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The dark eldar are an even smaller and less important faction than the tau, they are scary but little more than raiders and pirates.

Also, the tau have warp capability but they can only make very small jumps. I know the Imperium can make small jumps using sensors to tell how the warp is moving. However, such sensors can only be used in normal space, so the distance you can move is low. I assume tau have something similar.

Give tau another 1000 years and they will be scarily advanced I reckon.

·
Premium Member
10,977 Posts
The tau have unbelievable potential. However no race has yet come close to rivalling the necron`s level of technology.

Assuming the tau can survive all the galaxy has arrayed against them, they could easily reach the same level as the necrons in time. Remember, the necrontyr were also a young race struggling in the wake of a much larger faction once. :wink:

Also, this belongs in fluff.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Remember, the necrontyr were also a young race struggling in the wake of a much larger faction once. :wink:
But the Tau do not have some unholy star gods to aid them, and the Necrontyr lost their souls to achieve greateness, and were turned into nothing but slaves.

And the Tau would probably not survive long enough to achieve greatness from what it seems like. Splinter fleets of Tyranids are pushing deep into tau space. Dark Eldars are taking the population of entire Tau colonies with them to Commoragh. The Ork threat is ever present, and a Waaaaagh! would severly deplet the Tau armed forces. And an Imperial crusade could, if lead by a might person, conquer the Tau empire. I for one would not have any hopes for the survival of the Tau if a man like Lord Solar Macharius launched a crusade against them.

Also, the Imperium could just declare exterminatus on every Tau planet in sight.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I'd actually place the Imperium at the same level or more advanced than the Tau- the Imperium's advancements in biology (specifically Juvenat treatments and Astartes) have no counter part in Tau society.
Plus of course Warp Drives, Geller Fields etc

Yeah, I'd say that the Imperium is still slightly more advanced than the Tau Empire, maybe not one to one but certainly in overall technological prowess.

·
Premium Member
10,977 Posts
But the Tau do not have some unholy star gods to aid them, and the Necrontyr lost their souls to achieve greateness, and were turned into nothing but slaves.

And the Tau would probably not survive long enough to achieve greatness from what it seems like. Splinter fleets of Tyranids are pushing deep into tau space. Dark Eldars are taking the population of entire Tau colonies with them to Commoragh. The Ork threat is ever present, and a Waaaaagh! would severly deplet the Tau armed forces. And an Imperial crusade could, if lead by a might person, conquer the Tau empire. I for one would not have any hopes for the survival of the Tau if a man like Lord Solar Macharius launched a crusade against them.

Also, the Imperium could just declare exterminatus on every Tau planet in sight.
The Damocles Gulf crusade stalled. What makes you think another attempt would have a different outcome? Especially knowing how much more powerful the tau have become. To be frank, the tau are far more ambitious and open minded than the Imperium, and that attitude alone gives them an advantage.

I'd actually place the Imperium at the same level or more advanced than the Tau- the Imperium's advancements in biology (specifically Juvenat treatments and Astartes) have no counter part in Tau society.
Plus of course Warp Drives, Geller Fields etc

Yeah, I'd say that the Imperium is still slightly more advanced than the Tau Empire, maybe not one to one but certainly in overall technological prowess.
Of course it is difficult to offer a direct comparison, but remember what the tau lack they make up for in other tech. Being able to equip their basic troopers with plasma based weaponry is a massive difference in itself, and remember that battlesuits are among the most versatile units on the battlefield.

The Imperium has obvious advantages of course, but the tau are in it for the long haul. Going back to my earlier comparison to the necrontyr, the only difference i can place between the two is their outlook. The necrontyr were a morbid depressed lot who wanted to live longer. The tau place their efforts and energy on the civilisation as a whole. They have a positive outlook which makes any form of divine encouragement unnecessary.

Many have said that the tau are an unimportant race, and for the time being they are. But if they can outlast the big players of the current era, then they have a slim chance.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Also, the tau have warp capability but they can only make very small jumps.
This is not entirely true...

I know the Imperium can make small jumps using sensors to tell how the warp is moving. However, such sensors can only be used in normal space, so the distance you can move is low. I assume tau have something similar.
Check out the Lexicanum link I provided earlier. It explains how the Tau travel through the stars quite nicely. :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If they manage to keep on trucking, the Tau are going to start getting pretty scary to neighbors not interested in the Greater Good. While I doubt they're going to be able to figure out a way to analyze and utilize Necron tech, it won't surprise me the day they can plop four railguns on a suit and still let it jump around all over the place.

So yeah, in terms of tech; Necrons > Tau > Imperium. Mostly because Tau guns don't blow their own guys up or get sucked into the tangible hell that is the Warp and don't have to rely on swarms of corpse cyborgs *Don't get me wrong, Servitors are pretty cool* .

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Tau's interstellar travel capabilities are equivalent of that of the Imperium's before the Gellar field was invented. That is, they had to sort of "skip" along the Immaterium to travel, like a stone skipping across water.

Necron tech > Eldar/Dark Eldar > Tau > Imperium/Chaos > Orks > Tyranids

Somewhere in fluff (can't remember if it was in a Codex or Canon) Eldrad says something about how the Tau might one day acheive things that excel even those of the Eldar, thus why the Eldar protect the Tau so vigorously. So that pretty much sums it up :p

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Somewhere in fluff (can't remember if it was in a Codex or Canon) Eldrad says something about how the Tau might one day acheive things that excel even those of the Eldar, thus why the Eldar protect the Tau so vigorously. So that pretty much sums it up :p

And that is why I stick my tongue at those who say the Tau are unimportant and gonna get whipped out. I mean, ultimately GW is the horrid Demi-god controlling the fluff and if it doesn't involve a Ultramarine sticking a powersword up the collective ass of every other race, then I suspect the existing staff had been taken in the night by forces unknown.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
The Damocles Gulf crusade stalled. What makes you think another attempt would have a different outcome? Especially knowing how much more powerful the tau have become. To be frank, the tau are far more ambitious and open minded than the Imperium, and that attitude alone gives them an advantage.
I would never rank the Damocles Gulf crusade as a proper "crusade". To me a dozen Capital ships, 19 regiments of Guardsmen and a few provisional companies of Astartes ain`t a proper crusade. The Tau would be annihilated by a proper crusade, such as the one led by Lord Solar Macharius.

I would have to strongly disagree the orks do not have safe plasma weapons, robots, A.I.s, hover tech, stealth tech, and durable light gear.
I was not entirely serious, but they are Orks, they can build what the feck they ever want to build, and it will almost always work, for they are Orks, and orks make things work. :wink:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Tau will always be gimped by the fact that they don't have Psykers, and thus don't have Warp Travel or communications.

Eventually they might overcome this with hyperadvanced technology, but in the mean time they have to survive against races the can travel faster than they can, outnumber them hundreds (sometimes thousands) to one, and have wizards. The only race that ever managed to do this (that i'm aware of) was the Necrontyr, and they only pulled it off with knowledge given to them by the C'Tan, and it still ended poorly for them.

Also, i may be wrong here, but didn't the Dark Eldar just recently discover and take interest in the Tau (in their new codex)? If that is true, then the near future looks very grim for them indeed.
I would like to point out that the Necrons have Warp Travel that is as effective as many of the other races without psykers, so it is possible. Though the Tau have a long, long way to go. Also, I would like to add that the reason the Tau got a prominent event in the new DE Codex is actually because the previous Codex for them came out long before the Tau were created. So I wouldn't say that they have an interest in the Tau anymore than they do as humans. It's just that GW has finally updated them and building some fluff between them and the newest race in their universe.

I would rank Orks before Tau, seeing as they can buid anything, and suprisingly it will work.
It's not so much the tech of the Ork but the unusual psychic field of the Ork race. The truth is that most of their tech is loaded with faults and flaws that would render it as little more than an inert piece of junk were it not for their psychic field enabling it to work. Basically, they believe it works therefore it does. For example, there is a vehicle upgrade for the Orks called Red Paint Job. The Orks believe that a red vehicle is faster than an identical vehicle that is not red. There is no scientific or mechanical reason why the red one is faster, it's only the Orks' belief that the red one is faster and their psychic field that enables said vehicle to be faster.

First off, the incident in the DE Codex was simply the first time the two races encountered one another, that's all. It isn't marking the Tau as a special in the eyes of the DE. In fact, given the nature of the Tau soul in relation to the Warp, I would say that they would find the Tau as less appealing targets than other races such as man. Yes, they would take them as playthings but I don't believe that they would have much interest in them beyond the norm. Some may be interested in them for a bit given that they are a new plaything for them but after a while the newness of the Tau will wear off and they'll be just like any other race to the DE.

As to the Imperium and their Crusades, they've had problems fighting the Tau in past, both from their technology and their methodology of war. You see, the Tau do not view warfare like humans do. They see warfare as hunting prey. As such, they tend to shun large block armies and static defense in favor of smaller, mobile forces. In fact, a common Tau defensive tactic is to abandon what would be seem to us as favorable defensive location, such as a city, simply because defending it would immobilize the Tau warriors. Plus, the Tau are a significantly lesser threat compared to the other threats that the Imperium faces. All their attempts to wipe out the Tau have been met with some initial success before becoming stalled by the tactics and weapons of the Tau until a larger threat rears its head and the Imperium most redeploy elsewhere. Or as Tau haters like to call it, the Magic Fluff Armor of the Tau. Added to this, the Tau Empire sits on the edge of the Astronomican and if there are Tau worlds beyond its light, the Navigators and men of the IG won't dare go to them. As to the use of Exterminatus on Tau worlds, it would only be used on worlds that they know they cannot conquer without an insanely high cost in men or the world has become so utterly tainted by Chaos or xenos that they cannot be reclaimed by Man. That is not the case with the Tau. A true Crusade to wipe out the Tau could be won by the Imperium and they know that. Which is why they don't want to destroy the Tau worlds, they want to crush the Tau and build new human worlds upon their bones.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.