Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all (again!),

Got a question for ya that I just noticed was possibly an issue in my gaming group. We all know that House Rules are often decided upon in order to cover a lapse or loophole in the standard gaming rules. But what if House Rules are made to purposefully alter those rules... What if those House Rules are made effective during local Tourneys... and What if those House Rules may significantly alter the play style of some armies and not others???

Example: Hull Down is automatic if the vehicle can claim a 50% reduction in line of sight from the targeting model. Current rules state that a die roll is necessary to determine if the vehicle can benefit from 'obscurity'. This is only a 50/50 chance, and makes troop transports that much less appealing and useful. This ruling may turn up in our next tournament, where we'll likely use the previous Hull Down instead of Obscured.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
269 Posts
:nono:Looks like someones planing a vehicle heavy army!!

I dont like house rules onless they make sense and are essential to the game ie old ed fantasy house rule so a 1 is always a failed save.
Nothing more. It makes certain armies better and worse off every time. There is no need to change the hull down rule. MG they are even intune to fluff. OMG:ireful2:

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
House rules are great for when every one playing agrees on the need for them or just wants to play that way. An example is whenever a friend and I play we usually change the way terrain works in that you can move half of your remaining move into terrain rather than rolling for it. We have also played on occasion so that terrain has a D6 for its cover save (yes on occasion its to thick to shoot through.. other times its far worse than armor).

The key to house rules is everyone agreeing to them so that you have fun playing by them. This is actually in the core rule book that the developers believe if you dont like rules change them so that you have fun. They want you to have as much fun as possible.

If there is a tournament playing where the house rules are "The Rules" then you can speak up and ask for certain house rules to be removed or just not play. Its sad I know but if your the only one who doesnt want to play by them then dont ruin the other peoples games.. the same applies to them.. if its only one person who wants it the house rule he shouldnt force it on everyone else.

At core.. You dont have to play by the rules if you dont like them but dont force anyone to play by rules if they dont want to.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Things like the GT FAQ ARE HOUSE rules. Most Tourneys use 'House rules'.
Even a GW tourney will use 'house rules' to minimise the confusion created by badly written and poorly worded rules.

If they say that LaTD, IG AC, Kroot Mercs, or Feral Orks are not allowed (and are basing it purely on whether or not GW allow them in their tourneys, and not on the premise being that the codices for them have been altered and thus no longer valid) then that is also a 'house rule'. Mainly they do it because GW tells them to, or they yank sponsorship.

Feral Orks was written for 3rd ed. Since Codex:eek:rks hasn't been released yet, some tournaments do still allow this army to be used. These tourneys tend not to have prizes or sponsorship from GW (but other distributors).

The only problem I have is clubs using another club's "house" rules to decide how they will do things. The GTs may be a GW tourney, but their FAQs shouldn't over-ride GW's FAQs (like they do. Then agan, GW has corrected and recorrected their own stuff so often, nobody knows which faq is right.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts