Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

On the 19th of January, my club will be hosting a local tournament and I'll be organizing/running this event. While this is my third time as TO, I'd like to do something different, though not too off the wall. So, I'm asking for input, advice and suggestions...

The games will be 2250, and I'd like each of the levels (Alpha Gamma Omega) to make an appearance. The last tourney I ran was only 1500pts and there was one game for each level, also. I thought it made for more varied army lists when announced that Omega-level missions would be played.

What would you guys like to see, and really dread seeing, in a smaller tourney (about 14-20 participants)?

·
Registered
74 Posts
You want to make an interesting tournament make every mission escalation. The last tourney I was in I happened to play 2 escalation (I played my Orks). The first match I got my ass kicked and the second I should have been annihilated but my opponent could'nt get anything out and my Orks just overran him and beat him into submission. I personally don't prefer escalation but they make for some great games.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, there will be at least one escalation mission, but I don't think that doing all escalation would be a good idea. Some armies naturally do wall with escalation, while some do better with Alpha-level missions. I don't want to handicap any armies by swinging too far one way or the other (ooohhh does that sound bad...).

What kind of objectives/scenarios do you guys like?

For the Alpha-level mission, I was thinking about a central objective. Nothing else in the game mattered. Only the central objective. You had to be in contact with the objective at the end of the game with at least one scoring unit to control it. If you do, you win; if you don't, you lose; and if its contested, you draw. How about that?

Then a Gamma-level mission where table quarters count for huge VPs (though not enough to guarantee a win) but I'd like to add something else to the mix.

For the Omega-level mission, I'd like to have a fairly simple mission considering all of the special rules tied into the army. I was thinking about Recon. The extra deployment space may make it a bit easier for infantry armies to make it across the table, where as the reserved tanks might make it a bit faster, but would have to gamble on the die roll for showing up to begin the trek.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm surprised there are'nt more suggestions besides mine. I'm pretty much an amatuer I have only been playing for about a year or so. The Alpha mission I think would be a little more fun if you had 3 objectives, each one with a bunker and a heavy bolter attached to it.The thing I never really liked about 1 objective was you are just pushing both armies to 1 central point. If you have 3 you have use some strategy and figure out which units you will be sending to which objectives and can they hold it. After 6 rounds if someone is not in possession of 2 out of the 3 you play additional rounds.I know you are playing a tournament and the games do have a time limit so then if 2 bunkers are not held by 1 player you go to victory points.I played this once and it turned out to be a really good game, it forces you to split units up and form a strategy on the fly.I hope you like the suggestion if not maybe I can come up with something else.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see where you're coming from, and I agree... more objectives do make for more interesting games. What are your ideas for an Omega-level mission?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would give that a go in a larger tourney, say a 5-game, 2-day affair... but for a smaller tourney, that would just be too much. I've heard of this being done in Australian tourneys and it does sound cool, though.

Honestly, with so few players in my area caring enough to actually 'paint' their armies, I'd be concerned with allowing some of the locals to handle my painted minis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.