Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading the first few books of HH and I must admit Im a little disappointed in how "easily" Horus apparently fell into Chaos.

I was totally going with the flow of pride and jealousy and all that, but when we got to Horus's wounding and subsequent 'voodoo-healing' I had to stop and think.

Honestly it makes it look like the whole falling to the dark side bit is a result of demonic corruption or brainwashing from his illness.

It seems as though Horus didn't slowly become a reluctant rebel, but took a quick 180 degree about face into full-on murderous savagery that I can only conclude that it wasn't his doing at all but rather some sort of demon possession from the healing ritual.

it isn't just that he rebelled...its that his whole character seemed to change overnight which leads me to think that Horus's 'soul' isn't home anymore.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
I think you are 100% right on that part.

It has everything to do with that "healing" ritual.
It was a healing ritual. It healed his diseased heart that believed in the emperor:crazy:.

He was enlightened to the primordial truth!.

-random mouth frothing-

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
According to the old fluff, when the Emperor struck down Horus, the dark gods fled his body and the full horror of what he had done settled on him. The Emperor hesitated to finish off Horus, but realized that due to his severe mauling that He would not be there to do the deed should Horus survive and be corrupted again.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It's as Guiiliman said to the Lion in The Unremembered Empire:

"Our brothers, even the Lupercal, have not turned against us. They have been turned [by Chaos]."

Though according to Inquisitor Ravenor, Chaos only unlocks what is already within us.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Best way to describe what happened is that Chaos used half truths and manipulations to get horus to do what they wanted.
The first book made it a point to show that Horus was a political player he was concerned with self image and wanted to be shown as a good guy.

That's the Reason why Loken was the one who had to suggest sending the legion to help the imperial army with that siege, Horus wanted to do it, but by suggesting it he would have been made out to be a brutal leader, instead of a benevolent one.

The entire interex incident is an example of horus failing in negotiations and knowing perfectly well that he should have been able to solve that without bloodshed.

I think that's the main two instances, and I'll admit that my horus history is rusty the basic point is that horus fell because there was an inkling of self doubt, Chaos showed him a future where he was forgetten and then left it up to him to think of reasons why that would have happened.

he started down the path with the best of intentions but he lost himself in it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
True. But Chaos just unlocks things you would never act on. It just destroys your personality and moral filter. It destroys what makes you, you. Saying it unlocks anything is just an oversimplification and wording to make it seem beneficial.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The entire interex incident is an example of horus failing in negotiations and knowing perfectly well that he should have been able to solve that without bloodshed.
More like "Erebus kicking up a shit-storm so large there was no going back".

Once Erebus took the anathema the Imperium, in the Interex's eyes, was tainted by Chaos. There'd be no negotiations from that point on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good points, but I don't buy the fact he was in control of his thoughts,

Seriously its a huge leap to go from "Im politically ambitious and I think I could do a better job than the current guy" to "I think I'll conduct vile body-violating experiments and virus bomb an entire planet to achieve my political goals"

Realistically, instead of killing the planet (and thereby turning even more marines against him), Horus could have just sent his enemies down to the surface....and then warped out. He could have been on the way to Terra and no one would have any clue where in the galaxy the lost legions were....or even to know to look for them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Realistically, instead of killing the planet (and thereby turning even more marines against him), Horus could have just sent his enemies down to the surface....and then warped out. He could have been on the way to Terra and no one would have any clue where in the galaxy the lost legions were....or even to know to look for them.
Never would have worked. Not all Loyalists could have been sent down for various reasons (look to the Eisenstein and Saul Tarvitz as examples).

And why would you leave them there? On the chance they were discovered before Horus had defeated the Emperor, that's 30-50,000 Loyalists he could have swept from the board for basically free.

If Angron hadn't decided to roll down and party with 5000 of his warriors, Horus probably could have salvaged the situation even after Saul's warning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never would have worked. Not all Loyalists could have been sent down for various reasons (look to the Eisenstein and Saul Tarvitz as examples).

True...but consider the fact that without the bombing, The Eisenstein would have never made its escape.

Horus could have basically shown up on the Emperors doorstep completely unannounced and Rogal Dorn would have still been stranded in the warp and thus unable to protect Terra. (Since the Eisenstein never detonated its engines)

We can nit pick strategy....however my main point is that Horus's switch to violence....extreme obscene violence points to something beyond mere political ambition and thus some form of possession.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's a major theme in the view of the inhabitants that Chaos feeds upon weaknesses of the soul and that a 'victim' isn't so much of a victim but willing participant. This is really mostly not true. Chaos is an external influence, or at least quite heavily so.

Now, some people specifically open themselves to Chaos, but it would probably be an error to say that the majority of victims do. It would be like blaming someone for being addicted to heroin if they were held down and forcibly injected. Or someone's behaviour changing because of a brain tumor. Sure, there's an aspect of 'will' involved, but the influence has a heavy exogneous component.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
True...but consider the fact that without the bombing, The Eisenstein would have never made its escape.
And when the crew of the Eisenstein was like "Hey, why aren't we picking up our men?" Horus just shrugs his shoulders and they move on?

And also remember, the likelihood of the Loyalists on the planet calling for help is probably pretty high. The Librarians haven't been recalled at this point, so there's probably some of them down there. Furthermore, without the total annihilation of the planet's population, there's probably several surviving astropathic choirs on the Istvaan III.

It was a lot of coincidences that allowed the Loyalists to survive the way they did.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

And why would you leave them there? On the chance they were discovered before Horus had defeated the Emperor, that's 30-50,000 Loyalists he could have swept from the board for basically free.

If Angron hadn't decided to roll down and party with 5000 of his warriors, Horus probably could have salvaged the situation even after Saul's warning.
You'd think Horus would have realized Angron was going to do it personally. Angrons sense of honor made him go down to give those men a chance to kill him.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Angrons sense of honor made him go down to give those men a chance to kill him.
I find this doubtful. If he was worried about that, he'd landed before the virus bombing. Perhaps he would have fought his men while they were still on-board his vessels.

I think the likelier reason (based upon Angron's actions in Betrayer) is the Nails started ticking and that got the best of him.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And when the crew of the Eisenstein was like "Hey, why aren't we picking up our men?" Horus just shrugs his shoulders and they move on?

Sure. Why not?

The crew was barely...barely...willing to commit what they saw as mutiny based on the blatant mass murder of tens of thousands of allied troops at the hands of their commander.

Dial it back several magnitudes to...oops we got an emergency distress call and gotta boogie...we'll be back to pick you up later....and the crew wouldn't bat an eye.

I'm willing to bet the troops on the surface wouldn't either....you go get them sir...don't worry about us. We got these blokes on the ground.

All Horus needed was a bit of time to sneak up on Terra unannounced. So what if the guys on the planet did call for help...what would they say?....ummm Horus took of to handle some emergency but he hasn't been back for awhile....we therefore interpret his as an attempt to form a coup and someone better warn the Emperor...evidence? No, no evidence but.....hello?....Hello anyone still on the line?

Or more likely:

Yeah he told us to wait for a bit....but its been a month or so and we were wondering if anyone was coming to pick us up....oh really?....Conquered Terra three weeks ago? Emperor Horus the First?....Well gosh darn...didn't see that one coming.

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I find this doubtful. If he was worried about that, he'd landed before the virus bombing. Perhaps he would have fought his men while they were still on-board his vessels.

I think the likelier reason (based upon Angron's actions in Betrayer) is the Nails started ticking and that got the best of him.
Both interpretations fit his character, One of the major things about Angron is that he's mad that he never got to die with his gladiator army back on his planet, the emperor took that from him. Perhaps in Angrons mind seeing his sons die to orbital bombardment was too much, there was a book where Angron was talking to a wounded terminator on the surface of isstivan he was fairly civil considering what he just did.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The crew was barely...barely...willing to commit what they saw as mutiny based on the blatant mass murder of tens of thousands of allied troops at the hands of their commander.
They were barely willing to commit mutiny before Horus virus-bombed the planet. Afterwards most of them were willing to run. There were a few wondering if Horus was right.

All Horus needed was a bit of time to sneak up on Terra unannounced.
You make it sound like showing up Terra's doorstep would be the end. The Imperial Fists were already fortifying the planet and were there in strength.

Wiping 30,000-50,000 Loyalists at minimal cost is an advantage Horus could not afford to miss. Even if Horus somehow managed to conqueror Terra via surprised attack, someone else--probably Guilliman or the Lion--would be at his throat. Having half a Legion of troops on Isstvan ready for righteous vengeance against their traitorous kin is probably something Horus would like to avoid.

And, remember, according to the original plan, that's exactly what Horus would have done. He would have virus bombed the planet and immediately moved towards Terra. Have his cake and eat it, too.

If only Saul's warning hadn't reached the Loyalists on the planet.

If only the Eisenstein hadn't escaped.

If only Angron hadn't decided to rock and roll on the planet.

If only the Loyalists hadn't managed such a brilliant and successful defense that lasted months instead of days.

If if if if if.

there was a book where Angron was talking to a wounded terminator on the surface of isstivan he was fairly civil considering what he just did.
You're talking about the short story "Lord of the Red Sands." He didn't seem terribly impressed with his sons. Described them as "...an army fattened by centuries of easy slaughter, and they cheer him the way his masters once cheered when he butchered beasts for their entertainment."

Angron fights for what he believes is freedom. That's why he wants to kill the "tyrannical" Emperor.

Judging by Angron's decisions in Betrayer he just wanted to kill.

Again, if he worried about giving his sons an honorable death, he wouldn't have agreed to have them virus bombed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts