Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes fellow Heretics, it's another Black Library limited edition. Titled The Purge and due for release later this month:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/the-purge-limited-edition.html

But here's something that may make this a release most will be watching. Based on the glyphs on the Coming Soon Cover, the quotation on the page and the image of what looks like Lorgar Aurelian on the page, and the small tidbit on the [email protected] Blog, which is here;

The Purge is a new limited edition Horus Heresy novella, only available from blacklibrary.com. This new story from Anthony Reynolds follows a squad of XVII Legionaries during a pivotal event in the Word Bearers history.
We’re not giving much more away just yet, but if you’re excited about the prospect of an upcoming Word Bearers novel, we have created a set of suitably Heretical looking desktop wallpapers for you, complete with blood-smeared Colchisian Script.
I do believe that this is a novella focusing on the purging of the God-Emperor worshippers in the ranks of the Word Bearers that was referenced in The First Heretic and vital to the plot of Dark Creed. And it's Anthony Reynolds! Will definitely be getting a copy of this one.

LotN

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Well I'm all in for them now, I've reached that retarded point where I've invested so much money in the Linited Editiond and series as a whole that I can't stop now. Having said that, I agree with you that it must be the purge of the Word Bearer loyalists, something I also very much want to read.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Just like you said LotN, my guess is that it takes place prior to Isstvan V during the purge of the Word Bearers as the loyalists were culled by Lorgar. I'm a bit torn in this as I cant for all in the world see any of the LE worth it. Though getting his autograph is seducting. No I'll wait for the public release in 1-2 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm, dunno why but I get the feeling that BL might return to doing a week's availability, rather than restricted numbers for this novella. Or maybe I'm optimistic because I won't get paid till the week after it's out.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I'll probably invest in this one given I enjoyed Reynolds' Word Bearers and I consider the plot to have a lot of potential. :)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hrm, now that looks like a book worth picking up. Could be interesting if some of them survives to fight on the loyalist side later, but mistrusted because of their zealotry.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
This one might actually be worth buying unlike the past few limited editions. Looking forward to it.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Hrm, now that looks like a book worth picking up. Could be interesting if some of them survives to fight on the loyalist side later, but mistrusted because of their zealotry.
I doubt any of them survived - this purge occurred decades before the Horus Heresy (in the time after Lorgar entered the Eye of Terror). We also know that far less were purged than the 'faithless legions' purged on Isstvan III (according to Erebus anyway). I doubt Erebus or Kor Phaeron allowed any to survive.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I doubt any of them survived - this purge occurred decades before the Horus Heresy (in the time after Lorgar entered the Eye of Terror). We also know that far less were purged than the 'faithless legions' purged on Isstvan III (according to Erebus anyway). I doubt Erebus or Kor Phaeron allowed any to survive.
Well, they didnt get that Word Bearer in Unremembered Empire, whom remained true to the worship of the Emperor and wanting to kill Lorgar for straying. Cant remember his name.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And unlike at Istvaan, the loyalist Word Bearers were not put into a battlezone. It's implied in TFH that they were ambushed aboard the Word Bearer ships, there was little time for any of them to realize what was happening and they couldn't form an organized resistance like Saul Tarvitz did. So it's really unlikely that any of them survived, plus if any of them had they would have gone to tell somebody and that would have alerted others that the Word Bearers had gone rogue.

Well, they didnt get that Word Bearer in Unremembered Empire, whom remained true to the worship of the Emperor and wanting to kill Lorgar for straying. Cant remember his name.
Barthusa Narek. They didn't get him because he went along with the treachery at first, he realized that it was a mistake later on and repented. But he was a traitor for a while.

LotN

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Plus that the managed to keep his sympathies from chaos worshipping brethren and get them to transport him.
That's because when he repented his treachery, he hid it long enough for those two Word Bearers to transport him to Ultramar. Not hard since none of the Word Bearers would suspect that one of them who took part in the Dropsite Massacre would repent and turn back to the God-Emperor.

That particular scene shows it nicely. When Narek says that he still believes in the God-Emperor, the two Possessed Marines don't actually react until he attacks them, at first they are just stunned and ask him "What are you saying?" They really didn't think that one of their own would revert back, so much so that they didn't assault him the second he said it because it hadn't fully sunk in that Narek was telling them he was a loyalist. So when you think about it, all he had to do was not say "I'm a loyalist now!" in front of everyone and none of them would have even thought it possible.

LotN

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm wondering if they're going with 4.000 copies again for the The Purge, considering Ravenlord still hasn't sold out yet.

Well I'm all in for them now, I've reached that retarded point where I've invested so much money in the Linited Editiond and series as a whole that I can't stop now.
Same here, I have spent so much money already, might as well finish it now. Still need to get my hands on a copy of Sedition's Gate.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Copy and pasted from a French website, Seditions Gate consists of:

Artefacts by Nick Kyme: Before heading for Isstvan Vulkan returns to his forge on Nocturne, fearing what might happen if his finely wrought tools of destruction were ever to fall into the wrong hands...

The Harrowing by Rob Sanders: An Alpha Legion commander's attempt to smuggle forces to Terra fails when the Mechanicum ark-freighter is diverted - however, the harrowing of Callistra Mundi is ready to begin.

Allegiance by Chris Wraight: Saved from the ruins of Prospero, Revuel Arvida of the Thousand Sons seeks new purpose amongst the White Scars Legion, haunted as they are by the ghosts of an uneasy past...

The Laurel of Defiance by Guy Haley: Captain Lucretius Crovo and his battle borthers are set to be honoured by Lord Guilliman before the newly crowned emperor of Imperium Secundus - none other than Sanguinius himself.

Sermon of Exodus by David Annandale: The fanatical cultists of Davin have grown restless - converging upon the fabled Lodge of Echoes, they are drawn now towards a new and far greater destiny out amongst the stars.

They all sound quite interesting, apart from Artefacts of course.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 101 Posts