Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow heretics! I submit to you another offering of mine of a Heresy Era character. Today, I have for you my Pre-Heresy Captain Lucius of the Emperor's Children!

Captain Lucius

Cost = 170 points

WS 7
BS 5
S 4
T 4
W 3
I 6
A 4
Ld 10
Sv 2+/5+

Unit Type:

Infantry (Independent Character), Unique

Wargear:

Artificer armour
Refractor Field
Terran Power Sabre
Bolt Pistol
Frag and Krak grenades

Terran Power Sabre
Lovingly crafted by expert weaponsmiths on Terra, this Power Sabre was made especially for a duelist such a Lucius and although he would acquire darker weapons in the future, it was with this weapon that Lucius would begin to carve the first pages of his long and bloody history.

Terran Power Sabre

Range: -
Str: As User
AP: 3
Type: Melee, Rending, Murderous Strike

Options:

Lucius may take a Sonic Shrieker for +5 points.

Lucius may take a Jump Pack for + 20 points.

Lucius may exchange his Terran Power Sabre for the Blade of the Laer (as detailed in Fulgrim's profile) for +10 points. If he does this, he may never be selected by the Loyalists in any campaign. This option cannot be chosen if Fulgrim is part of the same force as Lucius (there is only one Blade of the Laer).

Special Rules:

Legiones Astartes (Emperor's Children)
Counter-Attack
Preferred Enemy (Infantry)
Master of the Legion
Duelist Prodigy
Master Swordsman
The Eternal

Duelist Prodigy

Lucius is one of the finest duelist in the Legiones Astartes, surpassed by scarce few and even then that is not certain. Even when facing other Astartes, his bladework is almost impossible to follow and he uses his formidable skill to exploit the smallest opening in his opponents guard or armour.

The dice roll which Lucius requires to cause Instant Death with his Terran Power Sabre decreases by 1 for every point by which Lucius's weapon skill is higher than his opponent's (I.e. If Lucius is fighting an opponent with WS 5, on a roll of a 4+ Lucius's close combat attacks will cause Instant Death)

If Lucius is fighting against models with multiple weapons skills, use the majority weapon skill.

Master Swordsman

Whilst the Palatine Blades were a less formal fraternity Lucius was regarded as one, of if not the most, talented member of their ranks. As such, given the opportunity, fellow swordsmen vied for the Captain's attention and the opportunity to fight alongside him in the hopes of bettering themselves by watching a true master at work.

Captain Lucius may select a Palatine Blade squad instead of a command squad, but may not take both.

The Eternal

Lucius has been marked by greater powers almost since birth. As such, these powers conspire to keep him alive, aware of the devastation he will come to wreak on the Imperium he currently serves.

In campaign games where character casualties and injury between battles is a factor, any such chart result for Lucius may be re-rolled.

Warlord Trait:

Legendary Fighter - Lucius gains 1 VP for every character slain in a challenge

Lucius's allegiances change through the course of the Horus Heresy. Lucius may only be purchased by the Loyalists until the final phase of the Isstvan III campaign (The Bitter End), during and after which Lucius may only be purchased by the Traitors.

All comments and criticisms are welcome!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing? Not even a "This is ok I guess" or "This is so broken you may as well buy a new one because this'll cost too much to repair!"?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
So, let's compare to a Legion Praetor

WS +1, Ld -1. This is roughly equal, but I'm not sure what causes his Ld to be noticeably lower compared to other comparable characters. Sure, he's not exactly Eidolon, but he's above and beyond *nameless captain of the XXXXth Company* which is what's represented by Centurion's Ld9. If it's for balance purposes, I'm not sure really how someone taking Lucius is affected by the lower Ld all that much.

The WS5 or less... yeah, I'm not too sure about that. He's quite tanky with 2+/5++. To continue with that, I6 is pretty much *required* for his style, if anyone's of worth of I6, he is it.

If anything, I'd make him base 170, and give him the option to have a retinue of Palatine Blades (only the best bladesmen being attracted to him?), and if chosen by Traitors, he can take a normal Legion Command Squad and Rite of War.

Nice touch on the Lord Commander bit being Traitor Legion only.

Weaponry; Paragon Blade; I'm not sure Lucius's Power Sword counts as this really. Paragon Blades were extremely rare and powerful weapons. If I was going to suggest something, I'd suggest giving him Rending. Master Crafted; I'd just give him flat rerolls to hit, or at least Preferred Enemy (Infantry), which would make him a consideration over a Paragon Blade Legion Praetor (providing a cheap Rite of War etc).

Duellist Prodigy; With the suggestion of Preferred Enemy and Rending, along with your idea for WS difference giving Instant Death roll a boost? I like it.

Not sure why you've got "The Eternal" rule in there. That was not massively apparent during the Heresy, let alone the Crusade, and never in such a short time; the first documented time was after being killed by Sharrowkin IIRC. That should just be removed.

Legendary Fighter; holy fucking shit, this is good, too good. Independent Character, yes. But Character? Against even basic

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, let's compare to a Legion Praetor. WS +1, Ld -1. This is roughly equal, but I'm not sure what causes his Ld to be noticeably lower compared to other comparable characters. Sure, he's not exactly Eidolon, but he's above and beyond *nameless captain of the XXXXth Company* which is what's represented by Centurion's Ld9. If it's for balance purposes, I'm not sure really how someone taking Lucius is affected by the lower Ld all that much.
It wasn't for balance purposes. It was because I was basing his stat-line off of a Centurion. Your point about not being another nameless Centurion. I'll up the Ld.

The WS5 or less... yeah, I'm not too sure about that. He's quite tanky with 2+/5++. To continue with that, I6 is pretty much *required* for his style, if anyone's of worth of I6, he is it.
It was more to show his parrying ability, but very few things that aren't a Primarch are going to be hitting him on better than a 4+. Perhaps that was a bit excessive.

If anything, I'd make him base 170, and give him the option to have a retinue of Palatine Blades (only the best bladesmen being attracted to him?), and if chosen by Traitors, he can take a normal Legion Command Squad and Rite of War.
I hadn't thought about a retinue of Palatine Blades. That's a nice idea!

Nice touch on the Lord Commander bit being Traitor Legion only.

Weaponry; Paragon Blade; I'm not sure Lucius's Power Sword counts as this really. Paragon Blades were extremely rare and powerful weapons. If I was going to suggest something, I'd suggest giving him Rending.
I'll be honest, the Paragon Blade was more to represent (with the AP 2) that he can find the ***** in his opponent's armour. But then again, Rending works just as well. I guess it was slightly vested interest because I wanted him to be able to tank TEQ characters. However, I suppose Rending would be just as fitting.

Master Crafted; I'd just give him flat rerolls to hit, or at least Preferred Enemy (Infantry), which would make him a consideration over a Paragon Blade Legion Praetor (providing a cheap Rite of War etc).

Duellist Prodigy; With the suggestion of Preferred Enemy and Rending, along with your idea for WS difference giving Instant Death roll a boost? I like it.
I think Preferred Enemy (Infantry) would make more sense. I'll change that and add Rending as well.

Not sure why you've got "The Eternal" rule in there. That was not massively apparent during the Heresy, let alone the Crusade, and never in such a short time; the first documented time was after being killed by Sharrowkin IIRC. That should just be removed.
I might keep the second bit about re-rolling casualty result, since Abaddon, Erebus and Kharn all have that rule.

Legendary Fighter; holy fucking shit, this is good, too good. Independent Character, yes. But Character? Against even basic
Don't blame me, that's one of the Warlord traits in the 40k Rulebook (Personal Traits. No.4). I just kind of figured it fit best?

Edit: I also added the option for Lucius to take the Blade of the Laer. He loses the bonus of causing instant death for an at initiative AP 2 weapon, hence it only costing 10 points. Let me know what you think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts