Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Horus Heresy Discussion - WARNING: Spoilers - Update 22/10/07

Just thought I'd create a thread for any random discussion of the Horus Heresy books.

If you havn't read them or don't want to find out what happens then don't read these posts as discussion will most likely be of Spoiler like material.

You have been warned.

I'm enjoying them so far. False Gods was a bit draggy but then again it had to be, can't all be bombs and bullets can it. The one thing I would like to see (which they have started to do now) is to include more of the Chapters into it, especially the other Legions who turn tratior - so far we have not heard anythign of the Night Lords, Iron Warriors or Alpha Warriors and only a little of the Thousand Sons (no doubt to Wraiths anger).

But now that they have done Fulgrim, are doing Descent Of Angels, plus another book has just been announced called 'Legion' written by Abnett (all plot details are yet unknown). I have hopes that in the next year or two we will see books for a those other Legions come out detailling their fall from grace (Wishing and hoping Abnett will write 'The Dark').

Anyway enough from me. Let the discussion begin.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Hopefully they will tell us more about other traitors. Have enjoyed all of the books, but I thought Flight was a bit of a drag, but then again, what can really happen on a ship, apart from being assaulted by Nurgle. Fulgrim was spot on, really enjoyed it. Character buld so far has been good, especially Loken. Was sorta gutted when he got wasted. You can feel the arrogance in Lucius as well. Hopefully they will do a book about the sacking of Prospero.

>> On another note Jaco,. Do you take these novels as fluff? Just with them being the most in depth about the Heresy so far.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a interesting question in regards to wether they could be considered fluff. Personally I do accept them as canon. For the reason that I don't think BL would fuck about with such a huge subject as the HH. They know that everybody will consider it as fluff in 5 or so years. And its very indepth.

There is a few minor things which annoy me (equipment etc), but in the majority I think that they are as good as they could be.

I totally agree with you on the Loken and Lucius thing. Their development has been great. I was glad when Loken died though, I would have been pissed if he had turned with the rest of the chapter and it really solidifed the idea that it really was brother against brother.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> On the canon thing. You get people will say its not because its not in a dex or the like, but most of the novels are written by people who help design the games.

>> I imagine when Descent of Angels comes out theres gonna be a lot of Dark Angels players saying either told you they not shady, or what the fuck man, my Angels cant be that dodgy.

>> What do you thinks gonna happen wi Horus Aximand? Stay loyal to Horus or loyal to rthe Emperor, as he seems to be having conflicting thoughts.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I'd love to see the size of a Codex that could properly explain the ins and outs of the HH. It would be bloody huge.

Descent of Angels is going to be really interesting I think. Not only because it is about the Dark Angels own private little Heresy but also because it is the first novel about a Legion that doesn't turn tratior (or not fully anyway). It's going to ruffle feathers though no matter what way you look at it.

I think Little Horus is going to stay loyal to Horus. He's in far to deep now, even if he did get away from the Sons he would be shot on site. Either that or he will be killed off in a later purge probably by Abbadon. Horus and Abbadon will get a little suspicous of his motives. He isn't embracing Chaos he's just still loyal to Horus. And once a tratior always a tratior so they will think he might og back to the Emporer.

One thing I really did like about Flight was when Qruze repainted his armour to Luner Wolves colors - I thought that was such a nice touch.

Just checked on the internet and apparently Legion is going to be about the Alpha Legion. And because I'm so nice here is the cover of the book which I found. It might be fake though.

Graham McNeils next book which is slated for Spet 08 is aparently going to be about the Adp Mech and their infighting so it should be interesting to see the HH universe expanded to the non SM organisations.

Still no word on anything Night Lords :( Whats worse is that their isn't much call for it. There is a fair amount for Salamanders and Raven Gaurd though which is fair enough something needs to be done about them but we can't have the Night Lords being the only Chaos Legion not being featured.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Honestly mate, I aint got a clue. :?: Only thing I could even think of is the Loyal legions returning to Earth to face Horus, but probably not. You got any ideas?

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Did the Alpha Legion not attack the Smurfs. Can remewmber reading something about this, not in Fulgrim though, even though there is a small mention of it. Apparantly, the Alphas had some men paint there armou like smurfs, smurfs thought they were reinforcements, then BLAMM, fucked. HEE_HEE, dead Smurfs. :D

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure aye. There is very little info about the book out other than its about the Alpha Legion. Not the chapter I expected to be covered next I can tell ya.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Im off for a few spliffs at my mates, so catch you later.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found out another peice of rumour. Aparently, according to some sources Legion is the 8th book NOT the 7th. So another book might be in between the two. It had better be published that way other wise a lot of people are going to get very confused.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Musr be 2 bookss between mate, cos Descent is the 5th, unless im missing something somewhere. :?:

·
Registered
27 Posts
About a year ago I bought my copy of GALAXY IN FLAMES and the manager told me that originally there was supposed to be seven books and now it seems its just gonna go on and on...its fine by me but can anybody tell me how many there will be?

By the way FULGRIM is the 5TH.

1. HORUS RISING
2. FALSE GODS
3. GALAXY IN FLAMES
4. FLIGHT OF THE EISENSTEIN
5. FULGRIM
6. DESCENT OF ANGELS
7. (I READ ON DAN ABNETS SITE) LEGION

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> My bad peoples. I was just looking at the books in front of me :oops:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just finished Flight of the Eisenstein and I felt it was basically 3.5 and not really a wholely new addition to the series. I enjoyed getting Garro's point of view of the events but it just seemed a bit "rehashy" to me. My local bookstore hasn't gotten either Fulgrim or Descent so I'm a little po'd about that.
On a side note you guys answered something that has bugged me since I got Eisenstein, Loken died. That fuckin sucks. Now I've never been a history buff as far as 40k goes and so forgive me for my ignorance about some of the subject matter. See I held out a little hope that Loken somehow survived at the end of Galaxy in Flames. From what I remember I got the impression that he passed out from his injuries and that was all. Yeah I know I'm an idiot but that is just how I read it but then again it was really freaking late and I wasn't exactly "all there" mentally. So now I will take this moment to mourn his passing. ........ ok done. Although I agree that it is better that he died loyal to the Emperor though I really loved his character better than any of the others.

~False

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol Descent hasn't really been released yet so none of us have unfortuantly. Can't wait though.

Yea Loken died. Even if he hadn't then there is no way he could get off the planet. I think its better that he died loyal and proud. Yes just checked and he's dead. Love the end of the paragraph which says he's dead though. It ends with Abbadon thinking that Little Horus needs watching. Abbadon is going to kill him, even if Little Horus is still loyal to the Warmaster.

I think Loken is nearly everybodies favourite character, just because he had such good character development over the first three books.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Agree with the point on Horus Aximand. Abbadon will kill him, but will be able to convince Horus that he was right in doing so. Abbadon seems to have ideas above his station, even though he is 1st Captain. I am liking the way they doing Lucius and detailing how the self scarring started. Emperors Children fucking :rock:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just finished fulgrim yesterday, and I was thinking, there are a few loose ends in Fulgrim that could lead to Tarvitz, and Vipus coming back. When Eidolon asks Lucius if he saw tarvitz die, Lucius says no, but there's no way he could have escaped. That in itself is nothing, but when asked about Ancient Rylanor (the dreadnought) Lucius says he saw nothing of him after the virus bombing, as he was assigned to guard something. Those two together could add up to something, as whatever rylanor was guarding clearly was something important if they were willing to pull their only vehicle off the front lines and have him sit around doing nothing.

My hunch is it's an underground hanger, with some stormbirds or army transports in it. (I'm assuming this was Isstvanian surplus, left behind by the imperials, which is why Horus missed it. Since thunderhawks were new, they wouldn't have been left to rot on a backwater planet that was taken twenty years prior.)

I know galaxy in flames says that the precentor's palace is bombed again, but the surviving loyalists are in the warsinger's temple, and nothing is said of their death, other than "the battle for isstvan III was over". No mention of roofs crashing down and crushing astartes, nothing like that. So, it's possible that the warsinger's temple led to an underground hanger filled with ships, and these final hundred men were able to escape, as galaxy in flames says they only bombed the city. If they flew low, they would be able to escape the fleet's sensors (even if the sensors did pick them up, there's debris flying all over the place down there and it would be very difficult to discern flying rocks from a stormbird, at least from orbit) and land somewhere else on the planet, waiting until the fleet left and then figure out a way to escape the planet.

What do ya think?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know if I would want Tavritz or any of the others coming back, they died a awsome hero's death. It would be kinda cheap to bring them back I think.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yeah, but the final battle between tarvitz and lucius was kind of...empty. Lucius running away like a whipped dog didn't really do it for me, it needs to be much bigger I think.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats a good point actually, hmm I'll have to have a serious think on it all now.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts