Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this belongs in the fluff forums, but I was bored and wikied "heresy". I'm thinking apostasy is closer to Horus's rebellion than heresy.

I surfed the web a bit to look up the definitions of both heresy and apostasy, and I think the general consensus is this: heresy is believing in a variation of a belief (say the Omnissiah is a reflection of the Emperor, but rather the Emperor is a reflection of the Omnissiah) as opposed to apostasy which would be closer to saying the Omnissiah and the Emperor are two completely separate beings.

Might be wrong on this, though. If someone with more knowledge wants to pile in with what they know, feel free to do so.

Then again, what Horus wanted was an Imperium ruled by him and his brothers and not the Emperor. So perhaps Heresy is a better fit after all. Maybe the Erebus/Kor Phaeron Apostasy?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
From my impression of it, what little knowledge humanity has of the events of the Horus Heresy has been mythologized by the Imperial Cult after it came into being, and casting Horus as the first major deviant of the Imperial faith. Thusly a Heresy.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even Guilliman called it Horus's Heresy. This is, keep in mind, after they realize he had been turned by the forces of Chaos.

Either a gentle mistake (or I misunderstand the difference between apostasy and heresy) bu the authors, or perhaps the Imperium was closer to Chaos worship than we expect.

Maybe Guilliman believed the Emperor was a Chaos god ;)?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
In the original fluff the emperor was basically a God of human hope given human form. When he finally dies and is released from the golden throne, he would become the "star child", e.g. good god in the warp protecting humanity.

I think that fluff has been retconned, but it would make sense if the horus heresy was named during the same fluff era.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Heresy basically translates as "able to choose."

As in, not following conformity. Heresy is a suitable term, even in the current fluff.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
also the mythos surrounding it to the Imperial Creed may have been blown up out of all proportions, as ancient battles involving the god and the devil often do. So Heresy is the best word for this, but others may use Apostate or Apostasy, depending on thier point of view....

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As in, not following conformity.
Well, to be a heretic, you have to have a similar view with a different spin.

Whereas an apostate takes a radically different view. One that's actually opposite or at least strongly opposed to the original one.

also the mythos surrounding it to the Imperial Creed may have been blown up out of all proportions,
Even before the battle of Terra, Guilliman had already dubbed it the Horus Heresy.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it's sort of an alliteration, too. HH vs HA.

Plus I think everyone knows what heresy is. People might get confused.

"Horus Apostasy?...was Horus an apostle or something?"

Of course they're way different (pretty much opposites). Mmm...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wouldn't it be neither since Horus converted to a different religion, from atheism to Chaos.
In that vein...hard to be a heretic of a non-religious body?

On the other hand, Merriam-Webster's website gives a definition of apostasy that doesn't touch on religion. It says, simply, "abandonment of a previous loyalty".

/shrug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts