Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the vanilla marine codex (know your friends well, know your enemies better :p ) and noticed that the Honor Guard have an "upgrade" allowing them to replace their boltgun with a combat blade. However, they also already come equipped with a power weapon and a bolt pistol, so they should already count as using two close combat weapons.

So my question is, ruling out the possibility of the Dark Gods deciding to play both sides and bless them with a third arm mutation, what would the benefit of doing this be? Or was it just something worked in that doesn't help at all, but is just there for the fluff of some specific chapters?

Silly loyalists.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ah, You have misread it.

The Chapter Champion may replace his boltgun with a combat blade.

Honour guard get squat bar relic blades.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know but just... just... maybe you want to have models with a combat blade for awesome asthetic reason.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Yes, though it's still a useless "upgrade".

The point of it though is that was the model they were selling for the Chapter champion, so they gave him a useless upgrade to be "wysiwyg". Really though, no one would ever call you on just using standard equipment for him anyway these days, as so many units come with standard options that people don't bother modelling (like chaos with boltgun, bolt pistol and CCW). If someone was very finickity about having it modelled exactly right though, this would give them the option to leave their bolter at home.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, I see... still seems like a phenomenal waste of ink/toner/whatever and word space on the part of the publishers, but I guess that makes sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
But...

Special+Normal Weapon = +1
Normal + Normal = +1, so +2 in total?
Good try, though I'm sure inquisition ferreted out the 3 handed marines a while ago :laugh:

/those without servo-harnesses that is - damn imperial tech marines :p

Though for some reason, it just reminded me of this scene from the Naked Gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJEmtLxkEoI#t=4m05s

·
Registered
795 Posts
I figured the same as maddermax it was for WYSIWYG because of the Ultramarines Champion having the combination with the combat blade. It's absolutely pointless.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
+rep for the :laugh:

or attempted at least... apparently I already gave you as much as the site will let me :-/
It's ok, I have that effect on people. It's the thought that counts :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello people,...
I think I have discovered a semi-logical reason for the combatblade option to make sense.
In the case your squadleader take the Thunderhammer instead of his Powersword he can still exchange his Bolter for the combatblade right? So this means in a close combat he can then choos which weapon to use, meaning he has the option to hit at his initiative with the blade OR ini 1 with the Hammer. So there you go, hopr this helps... :)

Only question remaining is: Can he use different weapons during 1 turn? If so when does he has to choose how many Combatblade attacks he will make? ;) I'll let you meditate on that.
(i think he has to choose how many attacks he will make with each weapon at the begining of the phase)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts