Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hive Tyrants
They come in may flavors and most of them perform very well.
My question is if you Give a Hive Tyrant wings will he perform better as a CC unit or with 2x Devourers?

By performing better i do mean overall. First off one equipped with devourers will fire first turn regardless while its second turn CC hit for the other.
And as far as points go which will kill more of your enemy? 5-6 S6 CC attacks or 12 S5 Re-roll than Re-roll again shots?

So if anyone has some more insight for me i would be grateful.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
it dpeons on what the rest or your army is like, if your army is CC then make a CC tyrant if it's a shooty army then make a shooty hive tyrant.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am pondering the same question (as I'm in the building stages for an army). The way I see it (if you're fighting marines; cause we all love killing marines) for the shots they still get an armor save and that may reduce the chances of getting kills, on the other hand in CC the hive tyrant is monstrous and thus no armor saves allowed and at WS/strength 6 your more than likely gonna kill a few marines. Now of course I'm speaking of plan jane marines, no power weapons, no crazy shit that some of the units get, its a tough call. I would go CC, but thats me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't forget that it's very likely that your flyrant will likely have it's scaly and/or chitinous ass blowing in the wind for the next shooting phase. Pick your victims wisely. Try to keep a couple alive for another round of ritualized beatings.

·
Registered
538 Posts
if I did a winged tyrant,i would go with a cc version. you could always take warp blast so you still have a good long range attk. depends on how many pts you have to work with.
2 twin-link dev. (12 shots,re-roll to hit and to wound) can cause plenty of armour saves to be taken. tyrant still fairs plenty well in cc w/o all the add ons.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have this exact same quandary. I was all about the CC Flyrant until I read comments about the effectiveness of Devourers on them.
Now I am in the process of magnetizing it so I can try them both out for my different lists.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My preference is the twin linked devs. Allows for a far more flexibile tyrant who can cause havoc in melee or at range. It feels a little like putting all your eggs in one basket when you deck a tyrant for cc only. Flying in to cc gives you the opportunity to take a few things out on the way. With a cc tyrant you have your high point model wasted for the first few turns while it gets where it needs to be. Less attacks in cc can work to your advantage as per wetware's point. To use marines as an example, you will rip into the unit but there will be enough left over for another round of combat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
it dpeons on what the rest or your army is like, if your army is CC then make a CC tyrant if it's a shooty army then make a shooty hive tyrant.
Why not do both? Take one flying HT, geared up for H2H (with implant attack of course!) and another with at least 2 tyrant guards. My favorite configuration for the guarded tyrant is a venom cannon and barbed strangler.
Just an idea; have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts