Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Tinkerer
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a suggestion to make this "tutorial" more widely known & available so here it is... Hopefully this is useful for you folks here and will get you more interested in customising your own models. :grin:

Since I had to build a second Rhino, I decided that I'd take pics of the door and hatch hinges to officially document the way I did them here. Note that this process is repeatable on the Land Raider, Storm Raven or Storm Eagle doors as well. As this is a "copy & paste" jobbie from my plog, the first bit about the door icon can be ignored but I included it in case anyone wanted to add other FW chapter icons to their doors but were scratching their heads as to how it could be done (without having to resort to green-stuff replications).

To begin, I took the Forgeworld Space Wolf doors for the wolf head icon. Unfortunately the FW doors were only good for the icon as the reverse side of it did not have the grating like the doors that comes standard with the Rhino set.

So I proceeded to prep the original doors plus cut and sand down the FW door icon to fit these original doors.

Before & after sanding comparison

Next stage was to work on creating the hinges. To do this, the centre bit of the plastic make-believe hinges on the doors were carefully removed with a miniature modelling saw. After that, a small hole was drilled through the remaining hinge stubs.

To make the actual hinge, thin gardeners wire and paper clips were used.

After that, holes were drilled into the door frame to receive the hinges. In my case, these were drilled into the FW extra armour sections but if building onto a normal Rhino (or Land Raider, Storm Raven or Storm Eagle) chassis, then simply drill the holes into the door frame on the main side panel. I also made a small slotted recess to house the end bit of the hinge to allow the rear face of the extra armour panel to remain flush, allowing me to glue it directly onto the Rhino body without having to deal with unwanted protrusions. The rear bits of the hinges are bent into the slots and super-glued in place.

So the hinging of the doors are done...

Now onto the Rhino's top hatches. Again the hinges are made in the same way but this time slightly longer hinges are required as the hatch door hinges are larger. The second pic below shows the modelling saw used to make the initial cuts into the hinges before using the X-acto blade to clear out the redundant bits of the plastic hinges.

As with the doors, the hatches are secured in place with holes drilled in the top plate and hinges super-glued in place on the inside.

So that is how I hinge my doors. Hope this is useful for you all if you are crazy enough (like me) to want to do this!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Awesome!

Wel thought up, executed and documented. +rep

Allthough... now I have to put hinges on 10 rhino/razorbacks and 2 landraiders... oh joy! :good:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been trying to think of a way to do this and your tutorial is perfect. Flawless sir, I commend you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I was actually wondering a good way to do this, during the last rhino I built.
Excellent tutorial.

·
Miniature's Surgeon
881 Posts
Awesome tut mate - handy technique you got there!

If you wanted, you could carfeully putty over the coil effect. Alternatively you could use a thin strip of metal rather than coiling wire around the pin. You would need to put slots into the hull rather than round holes to insert the brackets (that's what I did to my rhino). It works well for hatches too.
- hope it helps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts