Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a game in today, first one in months, and the table had 6 hills set up on it. Some were one level high while others were 2 and even 3 levels tall. Only two small ruins were on the board and both were setup in opposite corners. I didn't think too much of it when I first looked at it, I just set up as I thought was a good deployment. As the game progressed I became more and more frustrated at those damn hills and how the models wouldn't stay upright on the angles at the base of the hills. Both my models and my opponents models were constantly tipping over and rolling into other models. I think we spent more time standing up models and fighting to get them to stay put then we did rolling dice and killing each other. here is an example of the type of hills that were on the table and the angles I am talking about.

I really do not like hills now! How about you guys, like them, dislike them, never used them? Your thoughts please.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Now that you mention it, there have been a good number of games where mine and my opponents models would fall over due to terrain. Never really gave it much thought though.

Even though it can be somewhat of a little hassle, I don't really mind them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've played with hills a few times and they do seem to make it a little harder with that but in my opinion I think that it is best just not using them if you don't want. I not a big fan of hills, but then again I'm more of a city fighter myself :victory:

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
I don't believe I've played a game with those hills but I have noticed the same thing on GWs Realm of Battle Gameboard. If it's just painted & not flocked then models tend to slide down the steep parts of the hills.

All my personal hills & sand dunes are stepped, with flat areas large enough to hold a least one based model. May not look all that realistic but there easy to play on.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've waited every model I own :p with pennies so that they are more difficult to fall over

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea, the "tipping over" problem is quite frequently discussed in my player's group as well.

But since we've pretty much magnetized all our bases for display trays, we have gotten rid of most of these problems, since the magnets add quite some weight to the base, preventing most models from tipping over. Texturing the steeper parts also helps.

But gamewise, hills are essential. Level 2 or 3, or eben maybe Level 6 hills (the biggest hill in our collection stands about 9,5 inches tall, with a 3-story stronghold on it) absolutely rock, with units virtually racing up the slopes to get the high ground - comparable to city fights, where everyone strives to reach the highest tower to provide covering fire for his army.

That said, weighing your bases down might work wonders to prevent models from tipping over. You could use small stones, magnets, even coins, but the best choice for weighing down bases are simple metal washers from the hardware store. Glue them in, never have that problem again.

@ AngelOfDeath: "Banning" terrain because you don't like it? Pardon my language, but that sounds to me like an irate 3-year-old who sits in the sandbox and never wants to use the swing again because he fell off at the first try.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Terrain, more is better. I will admit that the gw hills have serious issue with my metal chaos terminators but less terrain, NEVER.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't mind them, I generally just lay the models down with the base so that if I tilt them back up they are in proper position. If my opponent would like to shoot at the unit I just hold a few of them in place and see if they've got los. No problems, just astartes nap time. Just like the Lion my Dark Angels go "ZZZzzzz..."

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I'm more of an 'Asphalt Jungle' player than anything else, I've always prefered it that way despite being a treadhead as well (The two do tend to clash alot in my experience.)

Thats not to say i haven't played using hills though, which i have and i can't say i was too impressed by them, as you state: You spend more time standing your models up than you do actually playing the game. I find they tend to get in the way more than anything else, which i suppose is part of the point behind their use.
None the less; i avoid use of them if i can

SGMAlice

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
rather pointless moaning about hills because your models fall off them, just say
"my models are here, however because I don't want them falling down and getting damaged this dice/counter/small mound of cat shit will mark there true position"
OMG TEH PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah, as Stella says, placing counters down to show their place is simple and saves hassle. Our gaming club has hills with sloped edges so they are never steep enough to cause models to fall over.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rather pointless moaning about hills because your models fall off them, just say
"my models are here, however because I don't want them falling down and getting damaged this dice/counter/small mound of cat shit will mark there true position"
OMG TEH PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!
Wasn't trying to moan, but rather say how the terrain affected the game in a manner I wasn't expecting or all to prepared to deal with. Wasn't bitching and moaning like, "god damn stupid worthless piece of shit foam, fuck it I quit!" I was rather asking if others had the same situation and how they dealt with it.

Unlike you and other people, I may only get in 1-3 games per year. Sorry if that annoys you that I don't have the wisdom and amazing knowledge that you posses in the gaming world Stella, but I must say that maybe it's time you pulled your panties out of your crack so you feel a bit more comfortable and friendly. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts