Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High Marshal Helbrecht
Emperors Champion

Crusader squad (14 strong) - 9 Crusaders, meltagun, power fist, CCW, 4 Neophytes, CCW, Sword Brother, Power sword, Melta bombs, Landraider Crusader, Multi-melta.
Crusader squad - 5 Crusaders, Plasma gun, Lascannon, bolters, Razorback, TL Lascannon
Crusader squad - 9 Crusaders, meltagun, power fist, CCW, Sword Brother, Power sword, Melta bombs, Rhino

Vindicator
Vindicator

My first list with the new book that I plan to take to a friendly local tournament. Army builder seems to think I can drop the bolters from the sword brethren and have Chainsword and power sword for a A3 base seargent. Is this correct?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would it be worth ditching the EC for a Chappy with the Burning Blade, downgrades from a 2+ to a 3+ but gains perma S7 and gives the big blob hatred and fearless boosting them past their first charge.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Would it be worth ditching the EC for a Chappy with the Burning Blade, downgrades from a 2+ to a 3+ but gains perma S7 and gives the big blob hatred and fearless boosting them past their first charge.
Yeah, I think that would definitely be worth the swap.

High Marshal Helbrecht
Though he's an absolute beast in close combat, I'd caution putting him and your other HQ in a single blob of crusaders and a crusader.

Instead consider putting Helbrecht in one, and the other HQ in another (comment on that below.)

Crusader squad (14 strong) - 9 Crusaders, meltagun, power fist, CCW, 4 Neophytes, CCW, Sword Brother, Power sword, Melta bombs, Landraider Crusader, Multi-melta.
Overall I like this unit, decent numbers and a crusader to boot. Not sure if you need the powerfist, you might be able to get away with a power axe instead since the model can't be challenged and the fist does prevent him from gaining that bonus attack for his pistol.

Crusader squad - 5 Crusaders, Plasma gun, Lascannon, bolters, Razorback, TL Lascannon

Crusader squad - 9 Crusaders, meltagun, power fist, CCW, Sword Brother, Power sword, Melta bombs, Rhino
For the smaller crusader squad I would honestly remove it completely for the points to get the smaller one a land raider of their own.

That would allow you to retain the lascannons on a more heavily armoured vehicle and would also allow you to split the HQ's as I mentioned before.

For the third crusader squad itself, again I think you'd be better off with another power weapon to get the bonus attack. Also by dropping those fists down to normal power weapons, and losing a neophyte, you have enough points to fully afford both the second land raider and chaplain swap.

Vindicator
Vindicator
Definitely looking good here.

Army builder seems to think I can drop the bolters from the sword brethren and have Chainsword and power sword for a A3 base seargent. Is this correct?
That would be correct though not necessary since your sword brother has a bolt pistol, he would therefore already gain the bonus attack from the power weapon and bolt pistol combo.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Reaver some good food for thought.

Chappys in now no matter how I adjust the list, unless radical changes.

I'd absoloutly love to run double LR + double vindicator but alas I only have the one landraider. What would be your thoughts on the LR of the skys, Stormraven?

If I'm making power weapon alterations, splitting characters and removing the small squad I can easily fit in a standard stormraven AC+MM build, an extra neophyte (to bring the unit inside upto 12 for capacity) and upgrade the double vidys to seige shields.

Issues I can see with this is I'm now down to 2 scoring units abeit 15 and 12 strong, also gone from 5 vechices down to 3 on the table turn 1, lost long ranged anti vehicle.
I will however have gained decent anti flyer (in an area where i've only seen 3 flyers and no anti flyer ground units), along with additional short ranged anti tank.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
I'd absoloutly love to run double LR + double vindicator but alas I only have the one landraider. What would be your thoughts on the LR of the skys, Stormraven?
And considering just how expensive land raiders can be these days, yeah..

As for the storm raven, I rather like them overall. Though I'd play around with the weapon loadouts and see which is best for you. While the assault cannon/multi melta looks like a good all arounder I'd personally go for either assault cannon and typhoon or heavy bolter and lascannon in a flyer/anti flyer deprived environment.

If I'm making power weapon alterations, splitting characters and removing the small squad I can easily fit in a standard stormraven AC+MM build, an extra neophyte (to bring the unit inside upto 12 for capacity) and upgrade the double vidys to seige shields.
I've never really been a fan of siege shields, a lack of dangerous terrain tests results in you wasting those points.

Issues I can see with this is I'm now down to 2 scoring units abeit 15 and 12 strong, also gone from 5 vechices down to 3 on the table turn 1, lost long ranged anti vehicle.
It really depends on the mission and where you decide to put your objectives (like out in the open or near your opponent so you don't have to spread your forces out.)

Remember though, as you've pointed out you are playing in a relatively devoid flyer and anti flyer area so that should help a little. Plus your two scoring units are medium sized (15 strong) and oversized (12 strong) as well as being heavy infantry sitting in a flyer and land raider. That and its one thousand points, most armies you go up against should either be fielding two decent scoring units of their own or three/four weaker/smaller scoring units that need to rely on cover, range, or a transport.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts