Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I posted a couple of threads at the end of last year when I first had thoughts about starting this army, and now I've collected most of the models and started some painting I thought I'd move it to the Project Logs area and get some pictures up.

So here goes I guess, I'd really appreciate some feedback (let me know if the picture quality is alright, these are all taken on my phone so don't expect too much!)

These are mostly just test models I've done to try out the colour scheme, but I'm happy with it and I'm getting started on the units. :)

The first attempt at the Shields was done using the 7th Edition book as a guide for the runes, but after I looked back through the 6th Edition Army book, I thought those versions looked much better so I re-did them. (I originally planned to go with the sea-guard design on the shields like i've done on the bolt Thrower accessories, but I don't think the white would work too well across the whole army)

Anyway, I think I'll leave it there for today and try to add more as I go.

I'll posts updates with the background and theme of the army, some army lists, and of course more pictures of progress very soon! so stay tuned ;)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Nice to see another fantasy log :)

Colour scheme looks good and the freehand on the shields looks nice and neat. The spear poles look a little flat, but otherwise i can't wait to see more :good:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yeah I did notice the lack of fantasy logs. I'm much more of a fantasy fan than LOTR or 40k, but I do play all three.

@Varakir: Yeah I will be highlighting those up at some point :) maybe as light as Bleached Bone?

Also, would people like to see some models before they are painted up?

Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pictures of models I've put together with a little bit of kitbashing.

The models are:

- A High Helm from one of my Silver Helms Units
- A Noble with Battle Standard
- A Hawkeye from one of my Archers Units
- A couple of converted Ellyrian Reavers (With Wood Elf Glade Guard heads)
- One of my Archers (I used armoured bodies so that they can merge with the Spearmen to form Sea Guard Units)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and also a Mage using a Wood Elf Spellsinger with the cloak from the Lord on Dragon kit, and the foot version of my Dragon Mage

and thanks for the rep guys :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Btw heres what models I have and the army list I plan to go with at 2250pts (open to suggestions though, so feel free!)

1 Dragon (option for Prince or Dragon/Archmage)
1 Prince/Noble on Barded Elven Steed
1 Battle Standard Bearer (On foot)
1 Prince/Noble (on foot, the metal one with the axe, shield and lion cloak)
1 Mage/Archmage (the Dragon Mage on foot could also be used as a Mage I guess...)

42 Spearmen (with 2 Command Groups)
40 Archers (with 2 Command Groups)

5 Dragon Princes (with Command Group)
2 Units of 5 Silver Helms (with Command Groups, could also be used as Ellyrian Reavers with Spears)
6 Ellyrian Reavers (with bows and Musician)
3 Shadow Warriors (need to buy a couple more at some point)

2 Bolt Throwers

I think that's it at this point, and I don't plan to buy anything else anytime soon, as I haven't painted what I've got, and also I don't have any money whatsoever! :p

Here's The Army List

Lords

High Elf Prince 223
Star Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Elven Steed

Heroes

Dragon Mage of Caledor 410
Level 2, Guardian Phoenix

High Elf Mage 185
Level 2, the Silver Wand, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Core

16 Archers 191
Hawkeye, Musician

16 Archers 191
Hawkeye, Musician

23 Lothern Sea Guard 349
Full Command, War Banner

Special

5 Dragon Princes of Caledor 225
Full Command, Foe Bane

5 Silver Helms 155
Full Command, Shields

6 Ellyrian Reavers 121
Musician, Bows

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100

Total = 2250 points

C&C welcome :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres a couple more things I've been working on:

I've tried to keep the Dragon quite neutral and not commit too much to a particular breed (Sun, Moon or Star). I also collect Empire, Orcs & Goblins and Vampire Counts, so it could be used as a Sun, Moon or Star Dragon, an Imperial Dragon, and (if the opponents arent too fussy) a Zombie Dragon or Wyvern as well.

Also shown are:
- The 2 options for dragon riders; An unpainted Prince, and a WIP Dragon Mage (I think I'll darken the turquoisey colour, make it a much darker blueish colour).

- a WIP Bolt Thrower I just started painting up today (attempting to do all the currently Snakebite Leather areas with Non Metallic Metal, wish me luck!)

- A few more WIP spearmen (Front rank this time, I plan to use 2 or 3 ranks, 7 models wide)

I really should learn to finish one thing before starting 3 others! hopefully this Project Log will motivate me to actually get things finished.

As always, C&C welcome

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waystones

Hi guys, Im think im starting to see why there arent many fantasy project logs on here! is no-one interested at all? a little feedback would be great!

Anyway, heres an update:

I made some waystones as a bit of themed scenery to go with the army.

I used an old white dwarf article (WD308) on modelling Wood Elf Waystones, and just changed the rune to one from the High Elves army book.

I also made a couple of ruined waystones, mainly because I had lots of little pieces of Polystyrene left over :p

The runes were engraved using a biro and the bases are just layers of cardboard with filler covereing the gaps.

apparently I can't upload the pictures though... is there a maximum amount you can have in one thread?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hi guys, Im think im starting to see why there arent many fantasy project logs on here! is no-one interested at all? a little feedback would be great!
Well i'm definitely interested, though it's hard to know what to comment on when you have so many pics in one post. Personally i find the logs easier reading when it's 1 squad or 1-2 models in a post. Might just be me though :p

I love that dragoin model, and your doing an excellent job painting it up. I think the blending could be a little more graduated, but unless your getting close up the effect is very good.

The converted Ellyrian Reaver is wicked as well. A squad of those will look really nice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers buddy, I'll try to bear all that in mind!
I have 6 Ellyrian Reavers converted the same way, so maybe next post I'll get some pics of those up?

any ideas why its saying the photo's are too large?
I resized them all the same way as before :/

anyway, thanks for showing interest and the advice :)

·