Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am trying to write a High Elf army list for an upcoming tournament. The points limit is 800 and no army may contain more than 200 points of characters in total.

I think that it is best to have a mage for my Hero choice with some magic item – aside from that I’m stuck on what to field. Archers + Spearmen or a large unit of Lothern Sea Guard? Which Special Units? Are repeater bolt throwers worth taking at this level given that one will take up 12.5% of the points?

Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah, pack in a mage and make him as nasty as you can for <200pts. I would use shadow magic as the hexs work well with HE, you're unlikely to lose much to a scattering pit of shades and mindrazor is almost an auto-win for an ASF army.

Personally I would use spearmen for the core and take at least 40 with full command and maybe even give them a warbanner: very few units will be able to take the punishment you can meet out and the few that can will be unlikely to win by large margins.

After that I'm afraid to say that I would avoid all the interesting choices: RBTs are pretty poor in big games but in small games with less armoured targets they'll be nearly useless. Cavalry and chariots are similarly denied their main roles as you'll mainly be facing blocks of infantry... so its back to the old HE favourite that is the special infantry. PGs, WLs and SMs are all fantastic in their own ways and really should be your go to units. Everyone has their own favourite and everyone will use them differently... but almost however you do it is good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. I'd probably go for less than 40 Spearmen as I'd need points for the special squad and they have Martial Prowess so fight with four ranks anyway (Front, Spears, Martial Prowess and Supporting).

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I would take at least 28 to have a unit 7 wide and 4 deep... although its probably worth going at least 8 wide if not a full horde (in a larger game I would recommend 50+ to be 10*5 with a few spares; the number of attacks you pump out and the usual rerolls to hit make up for the S3 and makes it an impressive unit that can deal with them... which is where the specials and/or magic comes into play.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mage, Level 2, Silver Wand

15 Archers
15 Archers

16 Phoenix Guard
Full Command
Banner of Sorcery

800 Points

I have not included any Lothern Sea guard so it would appear that I have completely ignored your advice - however, this is not the case. My concern about Lothern Sea Guard is their points cost - 13 pts/model. They are able to perform two roles at once, I admit, but I am a little... unsure of placing so much emphasise on one unit. Also, if I come up against a gunline, then longbows will be useful.

However, which Lore if the best for my army list? And does my list stand a chance?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Archers are pretty crap. Your list will struggle - even for 1k there are no serious combat blocks. The LSG aren't great, and I much prefer spearmen, as they can't do both roles at once (shoot and fight). But archers aren't much cheaper and are worse here.

The PG are good, but I might buff them up a littl eto 20 or so.

Lore - I would say shadow or life are best, you might want to go with shadow, but high magic ain't terrible either.

I have a high elf tactica thread, completed, in my sig. Check it out if you have time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Admittedly, my list relies heavily on the magic phase. However, I need to have three units which are big enough not to be easy points for the opponents, and Lothern Sea Guard are expensive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The army needs three units to be legal, not including the mage. I am now completely stuck because I do not like the idea of small units at all.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Throw in a Great Eagle. He is relatively cheap and will be a good addition against potential warmachines/hiding wizards.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Mage, Level 2, Silver Wand

28 Spearmen, Full Command, Standard of Discipline

13 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Banner of Sorcery

Great Eagle

Better?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I think it's a good list.

Wait and see if Tim/Steve has anything to suggest, he will give you a better view of things than me.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Its a solid list, I would suggest taking lore of shadow to complement what you've got and to hex the enemy.

The biggest problem you have is the mage, I would put him in the spearmen and then jump him out when you get vaguely close to the enemy (if they have no shooting and no magic missiles do this at the start of the game). Either way if you know which unit you want him in drop the champ from the other and use the points for an extra guy. I would be tempted to say that about the 2 musicians as well but that's a harder choice as both units might need one (but numbers are usually more important in small games).

The eagle is the best unit in the HE book, and its always useful- war machine hunting, distraction charging (such as flank charging something that won't kill you in a turn- you might win, you might break and pull the enemy out of position, my fav was flank charging chaos knights) or just charging into flank/rear (and downhill if poss) to support an infantry block.... very useful.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see. Having read through the Lores, I certainly agree that Lore of Shadow is the best for Elves. I may even consider dropping a PG and replacing Silver Wand with Seerstaff of Saphery - that way I can get Mindrazor or whatever spell is best.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
TBH I would just go with the 3 spells rather then 2 you can pick: its only really numbers 1 and 4 which aren't terribly helpful since dropping the enemy's S or T by D3 will mean you'll either rape them pretty hard or laugh at their return attacks while mindrazor is a near instant win for ASF units and pit of shades is very nasty against many armies out there (undead, ogres, dwarves and lizards all die horribly from it). Melkoth's is less good but still pretty awesome: drop the BS of ranged units you just can't get to, the WS of anyone with an equal/higher WS to you or just drop their initiative to make sure you get rerolls to hit from ASF.... its pretty much all good.

The one thing I would add to your mage if you did have the points would be the ring of fury: its nice to have a 2D6 S4 magic missile that you always have access to, especially since it'll make people leave dispel dice to counter it making it easier to get other spells off (although the first time used its likely they will have used dispel dice on other things so you'll get an easy casting).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've just checked what models are in gaming condition for my tournament in two weeks and whilst archers are plentiful, Spearmen are not.

Therefore, I may have no choice but to revert back to using archers... not ideal.

With a core of archers only, are Phoenix Guard and a Shadow Mage the best complimentary choice? Or should I consider a Light Mage and Swordmasters replacing the Banner of Sorcery with the Banner of Arcane Protection? If I chose the latter option, then the Mage would need the Seerstaff of Saphery to ensure he gets Pha's Protection (vs. gunlines) and Birona's Timewarp (surprise charge with Swordmasters packing 3 S5 attacks each). I, however, am inclined towards the first option due to the greater flexibility it offers.

Your opinions?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts