Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to experiment with the idea and see how it goes. I plan on trying out the following list:

Mage (High Magic), Level 2, Seerstaff Of Saphery
Characters: 200/200 (Spent/Maximum)
15 Archers, Banner, Banner of Eternal Flame, Musician
10 Archers, Musician
10 Phoenix Guard, Full Command, Banner of Sorcery
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Total: 800

Not allowed to spend more than 200 on characters in total, normally you get 200 for Lords and 200 for Heroes but I'm playing using a special tournament rules set.

I can see this list struggling against armies that are better able to field gunlines as well as lists with highly-armoured troops (Empire knight lists, etc.). I can counter gunlines with Lore of Light and I can counter armour with Lore of Metal; however, I cannot counter both using one lore. Also, I plan to use the High Magic combination of Curse of Arrow Attraction, then Flames of the Phoenix, then Drain Magic to make it hard to dispel FotP.

Any comments (besides the absolute madness of fielding a gunline High Elf list!)? Especially, what Lore should I take if trying to produce an all-comers list?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmmm...I like the idea, and I really hate to say this, but I think you're gonna get creamed dude. In 800 points you can't really fit anything helpful in, but I'd drop the banner from the archers in exchange for a few more bodies. The only other thing I'd recommend is Lore of Shadows every time. Anything that makes you stronger and your opponent weaker is win/win for the elves.

Best of luck guy, in a bigger point game I think you'd be on to something.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I realize you're trying to use the Phoenix Guard as your bunker for the mage, but I'd probably peel it off and go with MORE guns, and just try to saturate. Throw in the new Handmaidens or whatever they're called (I forget), the ones that are Magic Flaming arrows.

As for a Character, I'd keep the theme going. Maybe a High Helm with the magic bolt thrower? I know magic is useful, but... you want a gunline, make a gunline. :)

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I'd throw in a couple of eagles in separate units to your list: they aren't going to kill anything in most games but can hunt warmachines when playing against enemy gunlines (without them another gunline would likely just overwhelm you) and against standard lists you can use them to slow the enemy advance by luring and fleeing mid-long range charges or if necessary sacrificing themselves by marching to 1" in front of the enemy (then either holding for the charge and dying or fleeing and getting caught to pull the enemy unit out in the wrong direction).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts