Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any hidden or uncommon rules that can be used to swing games in your favour?

One example was a game the other night where I couldn't give chase because I didn't have a model in base contact at the end of a combat.

·
Registered
630 Posts
One example was a game the other night where I couldn't give chase because I didn't have a model in base contact at the end of a combat.
Yep, that can be used quite easily to defend against sweeping advances or just to remove models to deny attacks via differing INT steps.
Personally I'm a big fan of LOS sniping, and the torrent of fire rule both aren't used that much by the majority of gamers but can become quite nasty when used correctly. :twisted:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I re-read the rule book from time to time. Just last night I realized that models who double tap a plasma gun and roll 1 OR 2 get hot.

I also read that models that shoot with rapid fire weapons cannot assault the next turn. It did not state they shot with the rapid fire option, but with the weapon itself. Does this mean that marines either shoot or assault?

Also watch out for people rolling for difficult terrain. If a unit rolls for difficult terrain, they still count as moving even if your opponent decided to leave them stationay because of a bad result.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
pathwinder14 said:
I also read that models that shoot with rapid fire weapons cannot assault the next turn. It did not state they shot with the rapid fire option, but with the weapon itself. Does this mean that marines either shoot or assault?
Yep, if you fire any rapid fire weapon, regardless of range or number of shots, you may not assault. However, you can always choose to fire only pistols and/or assault weapons and not fire the rapid fire weapons so as to maintain your ability to assault. Also, re rapid fire weapons, bear in mind that if within 12", you MUST rapid fire.

And here's a fun one that is really hard to pull off, I've managed it once tho. I assaulted the last few Orks with a couple of squads of IG and also contacted his Killa Kan on the assault. I wiped out the Orks, winning the combat. Now the Kan has lost a combat and is outnumbered 4 to 1, causing 3 glancing hits. Roll a 6 and it dies, if you don't get the 6, pile in one squad so that the other can no longer reach base to base and you've freed them up. This can be done in regular hth as well.

·
Registered
804 Posts
So i can choose weather certain weapons are fired o.o? friend always played with "if you fire you must fire all!" so just went with that

·
Registered
821 Posts
DaemonsR'us said:
So i can choose weather certain weapons are fired o.o? friend always played with "if you fire you must fire all!" so just went with that
>>I always play this way aswell, positive its written somewhere, but i may be wrong. Squad set-up seems to go this way, as you seem to see tac squads with bolters, heavy and plasma, but being a sw player, my gh always have this set out, and my pisol units always have melta/flamers. Or it could just be me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any model can choose not to shoot.

At ranges up to 12" however, if you choose to fire a Rapid Fire weapon you always fire both shots. And yes, models firing Rapid Fire weapons may not then assault in the same turn.

Some other rules people overlook:
ToF (Torrent of Fire) and ToB (Torrent of Blows) allowing you to pick out particular models to force a save or take a wound. (Pages 26 and 41).

+1 Ld for regrouping if you are out of LOS of the enemy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the gets hot! rule that you can always to decide to do less shots, so you can minimise the risk of your plasma pistol sergeant to melt himself down

·
Registered
138 Posts
In general, a weapon always fires the number of shots on its profile and you get no option to shoot less. For rapid fire weapons, if you elect to shoot you always fire two shots at up to 12" and a single shot up to maximum range. You have no choice. The Gets Hot rule doesn't change this in any way. It doesn't give you the option to reduce the number of shots.

·
Registered
325 Posts
mattjgilbert said:
You have no choice. The Gets Hot rule doesn't change this in any way. It doesn't give you the option to reduce the number of shots.
Interestingly due to the shooting rules saying most models fire one shot it was ruled (against me) at the GT final that you could choose to fire only one shot. I disagree with this though.

RE: Hidden Rules:
When you explode a vehicle you can replace it with an area of rough terrain or a crater that will provide a 4+ cover save :wink:
(I used this to great effect at the UKGT)

·
Registered
333 Posts
When you explode a vehicle you can replace it with an area of rough terrain or a crater that will provide a 4+ cover save

As in Penetrating 6 explode-and-isn't-there-any-more? Interesting....

·
Registered
325 Posts
anathema said:
As in Penetrating 6 explode-and-isn't-there-any-more? Interesting....
Yup that would be the one.

Jezlad said:
Area terrain?
I believe so (though my rulebook is at home atm). Its listed on the terrain chart.

EDIT: AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! Drunken edit at 7:08pm!!! Score for the booze!

P. 67 Vehicle explodes/is annialated.
P.25 Cover summary table.

Eye think you!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
if the troops were behind the crater they could be shot, as presumably the crater is size 1. But still its 4+ cover that you can dig your marines into.

·
Registered
325 Posts
jigplums said:
if the troops were behind the crater they could be shot, as presumably the crater is size 1. But still its 4+ cover that you can dig your marines into.
According to the chart if area terrain then craters can be either size 2 or 3.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There's also the weight of fire rule. i love it but have noticed alot of people have missed it. Great (as i found out to my cost) at killing tau sniper teams as the whole unit dies if you kill the controller :x

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wanderingrogue said:
There's also the weight of fire rule. i love it but have noticed alot of people have missed it. Great (as i found out to my cost) at killing tau sniper teams as the whole unit dies if you kill the controller :x
Known as "Torrent of fire" for shooting & "Torrent of blows" for close combat.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts