Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
For a very brief time I painted and collected chaos 40k models but then uni, life, etc, tore me away from it. I found my codex the other day and now I really want to get back into it with a fresh start (I don't know where my old models/paints are... I think they may be lost in the warp forever).

I want to start with a few chaos marine squads, get back into the habit of painting and just expand as I feel like it, maybe into some tyranids or something. I'm not all that interested in playing for real (At the moment anyway) just the painting and getting back into the 40k universe really.

I am starting again totally from scratch and I'm a few years out of date I feel, I think there's even been a new chaos codex since I last did anything. So if anyone has any advice on what brushes, paints, models, anything to help me get started I would be very grateful. I won't be able to start for a while because of time and space issues so I have lots of time to plan and gather materials... I will probably be stalking the forums often... there is so much talent and stuff around, I find it very inspiring.

Happy painting,
The Nerd

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Hi and welcome to the heresy!

If you want to collect Chaos, the Dark Vengeance set is always a nice start to go for. You will get the following models in that package:

- 20 Cultists
- 1 Helbrute
- 5 Chosen Chaos Space Marines
- 1 Kraken the relentless (Chaos Lord)

That should get you started on your path to damnation. Alternatively you can buy the Chaos Battleforce instead, if you don't care about playing the game. They are both a excellent place to start.

As for paints, the easiest way to start off is by buying the Games Workshop paints. Each has their own favorite of painting brands, but the availability of Games Workshops paints are usually higher than the other brands - So their easier to buy and restock. Same with the brushes really.

Find a theme that you like (the easiest is by choosing a pre-existing legion as a template) and then we can have a look at which paints would be best for the job.

If you need any help on painting the models, just let us know - We would gladly help out in any way we can :)

Once again welcome - I hope you're gonna enjoy your time here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome :) The Dark Vengeance set does look good, even if it does come with loyalist scum. But it would be good to have some other models to practice on and use as decoration I suppose.

I thought that might be a good start but I wasn't sure if there was some super cheap, reliable, extra-special secret shop to get them from.

Theme is a problem for me, I used to use a very nurgle-y theme with lots of dark green and some lighter blue to spice it up. But I'm a very flighty painter and I was kind of hoping I could be a bit freer and make different squads if I wanted to and mess with the schemes a bit (though not colouring Khorne warriors yellow or anything). I just find it really hard to stick to a theme.

Thank you, I'm sure I will need help when the time comes... I wasn't the best painter before.

The Nerd

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
Welcome to the Boards of Heresy, and welcome back to the addiction ;)

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome aboard :)

As Nord says, the DV starter set is a great little bunch of models to kick off your army :good:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts