Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I'm **** and I'm new to 40k.

I've pretty much decided on my first army; The Crimson Fists! I like the fluff, models, rules etc it's all good! I was considering a Marnius Calgar themed Ultramarines army, but I mentioned them once at the store and the entire store just stopped what they were doing and stared at me in disgust. No joke. No idea why.

Anyway, I have this list that I put together and wondered if one of you experienced old timers out there could have a look through it and offer some feedback and/or advice. Please bare in mind two things when reading this though; it's my first list, and it's a Crimson Fists list.

Thanks guys.

HQ

Crimson Fists Chapter Master Pedro Kantor 175pts
5x Honour Guard 260pts

Champion w/ Thunder Hammer.
4x Relic Blades.

I decided to run Crimson Fists when I laid my eyes on Kantor's page. Firstly he allows Sternguard Vets to become scoring units, which is an excellent tactical buff to an already diverse unit. And he's a Chapter Master; so I can take Honour Guard that benefit from his +1 attack - brutal! Not forgetting army-wide Stubborn and an Orbital Strike!

Elites

5x Sternguard Veterans 155pts
Sgt w/ Combi-melta & Melta Bombs.
2x Combi-melta, 2x Combi-plasma.

No brainer really, besides without them Kantor becomes pretty much redundant compared to some other HQ choices. Their special ammo makes them a combat multiplier, and I'd love to have a bit of flexibility to play with. Hence the combi weapons.

Ironclad Dreadnought 160pts
Seismic Hammer w/ Meltagun, DCCW w/ Heavy Flamer, Ironclad Assault Launchers.

To be honest, I had 160pts spare. I was hesitant to take one because I'd been told that 6th Edition's hull points had nerfed Dreadnoughts and walkers in general. But at least it's the best varient I could get. Probably best used as the shiny bullet-magnet, or heavy infantry and monstorous creature killer.

Troops

5x Sniper Scouts 75pts
Sgt Telion 50pts

5x Sniper Scouts 80pts
Sgt w/ Melta Bombs.

Camp in terrain and on objectives with annoying rifles and 3+ cover saves. Simples.

10x Tactical Marines 210pts
Sgt w/ Power Fist & Melta Bombs.
1x Plasma Gun, 1x Missile Launcher.

There not great, but, there are 10 of them with 3+ saves, two template weapons and a power fist per unit. I could have done worse. I'm planning to use them for tying up enemy units and snatching objectives late game.

Heavy Support

5x Devastator Marines 160pts
Sgt w/ Signum, Power Fist & Melta Bombs.
2x Plasma Cannons, 2x Multi Meltas.

I can't wait to use these guys! I'm gonna be popping armour left, right and.. well, just those - I only have two units. I hope they don't let me down.

Total 1850pts
6x Scoring units, 10x Killpoints, 58 Wounds, 16 Melta weapons
(I think..)

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. You may get some better feed back on your list if you post in the space marines army list section. I can't help you as I love the crimson fist but I am on the ork side so no help.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts

I've pretty much decided on my first army; The Crimson Fists! I like the fluff, models, rules etc it's all good! I was considering a Marnius Calgar themed Ultramarines army, but I mentioned them once at the store and the entire store just stopped what they were doing and stared at me in disgust. No joke. No idea why.

Anyway, I have this list that I put together and wondered if one of you experienced old timers out there could have a look through it and offer some feedback and/or advice. Please bare in mind two things when reading this though; it's my first list, and it's a Crimson Fists list.

Thanks guys.
Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy things here. Let's take a look at this list.

HQ

Solid HQ choice, great for giving those around him a +1 Attack and for making Sternguard scoring units (not a troops choice) in games where you play objectives.
5x Honour Guard 260pts

4x Relic Blades.
These are a major points sink, you do not need them when running Kantor. They're nice and since he is a Chapter Master he can have them, but, he doesn't need them. Kantor wants to be with a Sternguard unit, not an Honour Guard unit. Best advice, dip this from your list.
I decided to run Crimson Fists when I laid my eyes on Kantor's page. Firstly he allows Sternguard Vets to become scoring units, which is an excellent tactical buff to an already diverse unit. And he's a Chapter Master; so I can take Honour Guard that benefit from his +1 attack - brutal! Not forgetting army-wide Stubborn and an Orbital Strike!
Which are good points, but, the Honour Guard are still not necessary.

Elites

Nice setup, all of them having Combis mean they keep special issue ammo, which is a total plus. Not site about the Melta Bombs, but, they could prove useful should you get close to a vehicle. Sternguard are a shooting unit, so, don't go looking for close combat right off the bat. Also, they need either a Rhino or Razorback.
No brainer really, besides without them Kantor becomes pretty much redundant compared to some other HQ choices. Their special ammo makes them a combat multiplier, and I'd love to have a bit of flexibility to play with. Hence the combi weapons.
All good and valid points.
You will find that adding a Drop Pod for thus guy is an absolute plus. Ironclads do not want to walk to the action.
To be honest, I had 160pts spare. I was hesitant to take one because I'd been told that 6th Edition's hull points had nerfed Dreadnoughts and walkers in general. But at least it's the best varient I could get. Probably best used as the shiny bullet-magnet, or heavy infantry and monstorous creature killer.
Sound reasonings, I prefer them because they are nice in close combat, again, a Drop Pod will help you get there.

Troops

5x Sniper Scouts 75pts
Sgt Telion 50pts
Nice set up, Telion will work very well with this unit, he's an auto include whenever I take scouts with Sniper Rifles.
5x Sniper Scouts 80pts
Sgt w/ Melta Bombs.
I'm not sure if the Sergeant here need MB as this is a long range unit and not a harassing unit.
Camp in terrain and on objectives with annoying rifles and 3+ cover saves. Simples.
That's the best recommendation for these.
I very much like the look of this squad, I think the Plasma HB and Missile Launcher will work very well in concert with each other. However, the Power Fist doesn't need the melta bombs. I like Power Fists, I really do, but, when you have Melta Bombs, the better choice to go with it is a Power Weapon, like the sword. No Rhino?
See above comment.
There not great, but, there are 10 of them with 3+ saves, two template weapons and a power fist per unit. I could have done worse. I'm planning to use them for tying up enemy units and snatching objectives late game.
That's a nice idea and could work, but, you need Rhinos to move them around. A Rhino in each unit will help immensely.

Heavy Support

I can't wait to use these guys! I'm gonna be popping armour left, right and.. well, just those - I only have two units. I hope they don't let me down.
Ok, this does look interesting. However, I would recommend running one as all Plasma and the other as all Melta. There is no need to mix them as such. Again, Rhinos will help both squads.
Total 1850pts
(I think..)
This is an interesting list, it really is. Best thing I can suggest are getting some Rhinos in the list for the Devastators, Troops, and Sternguard. Dropping the Honour Guard frees up a lot of points. Looking the list over I'd recommend adding 6 Rhinos and one Drop Pod (for the Ironclad) this can easily be paid for by dropping the Honour Guard and gives you points to spare. Total cost for 6 Rhinos and 1 Drop Pod is 245 without any bells and whistles. Tack the remaining points onto the 150 you have leftover and we arrive at 165 points, and this doesn't include dropping the melta bombs from the scout sergeant (170) or swapping the Power Fists for Power Swords (190). This can almost field another Troops choice like Combat Squad of Marines in a Razorback to harass opposing units. You'd even have enough points to upgrade the Razorback and give the sergeant some toys too.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jace! The blue text! It burrrrrns! :laugh:

I think I can help make a few points here without tearing your list to pieces.

Thanks guys.

Woo! My own chapter, the Crimson Gallants, were made from the Crimson Fists. Brother! Alright lets work some magic.

HQ

5x Honour Guard 260pts
4x Relic Blades.

I also have honor guard, not that I can use them often as my chapter master is a Vulkan counts-as. Yes they are a bit expensive but with their banner they can put out a stupid number of attacks. Sometimes that may not justify their price however so normally I take 5 and give the champion a relic blade so he can muff up enemy independant characters (especially with the new challenge system!) and leave the rest be. Power weapons still work very well on their own. It brings down their price by what, 60 points? You can keep the hammer if you will, it is also a good weapon for eating characters.

Elites

Now here's my beef. I personally don't like taking marines in 5 man squads unless they've safe across the other side of the field (devastators). Personally I say combine these squads to a single 10-man. It makes their volleys of fire much more powerful and gives the squad more survivability. As Jace said I would take the melta bombs out since they really shouldn't be attacking any vehicles in close combat. After all, that's what the combi-meltas are for! Speaking of, I may take out a combi-melta or two for more plasma. I just like plasma, so powerful. Last point, if you want to scrap the honor guard and need a place for Pedro, this is the place. Now you have a survivable and powerful 10-man squad to put him in, and because of Pedro they all have 3 base attacks. I've seen more than a few enemies charge a Pedro squad and be very surprised to see very *stern* resistance. (See wat I did thar?) BTW taking these guys in a drop pod is also awesome. 1st turn sitting on an objective already shooting at stuff, woo!

Love Ironclads. Always. Since I run a Vulkan counts-as (all flamers and meltas twin-linked) taking this thing with two heavy flamers makes it into a rape machine. Everything under the template is hit, no luck, no dice, no chances. They *are* hit. At str 5 (wounding easily) rerollable (that squad is gone) AP 4 (many things don't get their saves). Shut up and take my money! Like Jace said a drop-pod on this guy is a wonderful idea. Watch your opponents face as, turn one, one of their squads of anything leaves the board and floats off into the distance like the hopes and dreams he once had. If the dread is still alive next turn (after what you just did to your opponent, chances are a high 'no') then he can do it again or assault into some poor vehicle and rip it to shreds.

Troops

5x Sniper Scouts 75pts
Sgt Telion 50pts

5x Sniper Scouts 80pts
Sgt w/ Melta Bombs.

Personally I'd drop the second squad. You already have 2 10 man tactical troops, 2 5 man or 1 10 man sternguard troops plus these guys. You've got tons of scoring and, in my humble opinion, not enough dakka. Dakka is something marines excel at. Don't hold them back by bringing more 5 man squads of troops who don't do much aside from squat on objectives. 1 squad of five with Telion should be more than enough to make an enemy rage. Throw a missile launcher in there so you can throw a Krak Missile downrange with good accuracy. Also with some points freed up here and elsewhere you may consider taking a techmarine or Thunderfire Cannon (and the techmarine who comes with it). Boosting a piece of terrain's cover save by one, then sitting scouts with camo-cloaks on it means, in most cases, 2+ cover. Watch opponents rage hot bloody tears as they try to pry a 5-man squad of half-marines off of an objective to absolutely no effect.

Here's the real beef. I love your loadout save for the melta-bombs/power fist. Both are just not really needed, I'd go one or the other. Refer to Jace, he gives good advice. They do not have any MEHTUL BOCKSES to ride around in however. Now personally, I'm always strapped for money. Or at least in such a way that I can't throw said money at 40k as I'd like to. Plus with the latest price hike that 40k models just took, I actually don't have the money to buy rhinos. However in every game I've played rhinos wouldn't have done much of anything. The marines, being absolutely terrible offensively in every way possible, would have rode to the objective, just to get blown or assaulted right off the map and done nothing. That's pretty much going to happen no matter *when* you get there or how you get there. Tactical marines are just awful at combat. So I've personally never seen what the giant fuss is about, they're gonna die either way so why waste the points on a rhino which is just offering the enemy another victory/kill point? Oh well. Take that how you will. tl;dr: I like these tacticals.

Heavy Support

Ah, devastator marines. Quite controversial fellows these ones. It's almost always more effective to give everyone in the squad the same gun so no shots are being wasted and they can specialize in killing something. Plasma cannons = heavy infantry, Multimeltas = tanks, Missile Launchers = everything to a slightly smaller (and cheaper) degree. Personally I'd drop one of these squads to clear up some points for other devastating (hur) Space Marine models such as a Vindicator or Thunderfire Cannon. Another dreadnought perhaps? Drop pods? Many things can be done with 160 points and still offer good destructive power. The remaining squad I'd probably give missile launchers so they can threaten tanks and such, maybe throw them in a razorback (maybe) so they can re-position to hit side armor (maybe). I'd also totally lose the fist and bombs, devastators should literally be the farthest you can possibly get away from close combat, so that's just wasted points.
It may seem like a lot is 'wrong' with your army but actually most of my text is just me ranting about something or another. Your army is actually pretty solid, just a few edits here and there couldn't hurt.

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to the family! :grin:

P.S. Thanks to Jace who gave me the idea of this quote-but-change-text-color-and-shit-seems-awesome idea. Hope you don't mind me stealing it. Well, not stealing. Others have done it. But you gave me the push to find out how it's done. Woo!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks guys.

HQ

5x Honour Guard 260pts

4x Relic Blades.

Elites

Troops

5x Sniper Scouts 75pts
Sgt Telion 50pts

5x Sniper Scouts 80pts
Sgt w/ Melta Bombs.

Heavy Support

Total 1850pts
(I think..)
Gosh, you're a beginner? Great Army! I especially love the devastators. Put them up high where they can pick their targets well. They're good to take out tanks too. Great start. I have no idea why anyone gave dirty looks to Calgar. Maybe they know something we don't.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome to the Heresy! :so_happy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts