Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been playing all GW games (and many others for more years than I care to remember.)

Just dusted my Dwarfs off due to the new book. But play WOC, Ogres as well.
40K is a fun list Necrons, Tau and Chaos. All these armies are themed with back stories and played for fun not serious tournament or anything. I don't like escalation or anything not in the BRB as I find most FW stuff too unbalanced for cost. And think it a shame that others like to have a unit that can wipe out the enemy army in a single turn. (Just don't find that fun at all, either for me or my opponent.) I have more than once got to a tourney game and simply shook the others guys hand and given him the win without a single die being cast. Then politely asked if we could simply play a different point value with more balanced armies on both sides. Some of these have been the best games I have ever played.

I tend to play doubles at tournies so I can just pick up some models from my collection to supplement my partners army. I am not much of a serious player these days as I just dislike the ultra competitive rules lawyers who base everything off of a single interpretation of the rules. I prefer to agree before a game how a rules point may effect the game. Or just go with a 'lets just roll a dice for now and debate the rule after the game'. I like my game to flow not be 5 mins of play followed with 20 mins of argument. I much prefer to play a fun game fast and be wrong on a rule point. The particular rule can then be remembered for the next game. I find this tends to keep other players happy as I don't get caught up with the rules. Besides you can always ask politely to see a rule the other player is using.

I also play computer games such as WOT or SWTOR. I sometimes play Battlefield but I find it tends to be too competitive and frenetic. I prefer games where I can think about what I am doing to just seeing who can twitch their finger the fastest.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome Sir. it's good to see a gamer with such a mature outlook.
Im sure you will come to see that most of thecomunity of gamers on this site are of a good sort willing to help and impart knowledge.
Welcome to the Heresy!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Welcome to Heresy! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome glade to see more fun gamers join!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi I'm based in the south east of England. In Surrey.

Warriors of Chaos. AKA Brotherhood of Bone. So called because of the magical bone armour that each brother is encased in (Nurgle aligned :) ). Lichlord Festus seems to have taken an interest in the way the armour works and is currently experimenting with a local Nordic tribe to see how this can be improved. So far his efforts apart from killing a fair number of the younger members of the tribe has resulted in a curious green tint to their skin and a few starting to become creatures resembling plague bearers, an honour for the fortunate Nordling as their tribe worships Grandfather Nurgle above all the other chaos gods.

Ogres are simply a wandering tribe called the mountain eaters after the curious habit that some members of the tribe have of eating rocks to help crush up the enormous volumes of 'meat' that they ingest, while in their stomachs. 'I am still working on their background but its a good start.'

The Dwarfs are still being organised for battle but it will probably have a story based around longbeards as two or three units of them will form the core of the army. I may have a small engineering guild post in the hold as well as I am into the new gyrocopter models and plan to get at least 2 more (when I can afford them.)

Necron.
My Necrons consist of a small court of an Overlord with 2 lords and 2 Harbinger of storm Crypteks.

Ktarack the Overlord of Minos Prime has retained most of his memories. Almost having made Phaeron, he has a small bodyguard of Triarch Preatorians. His main forces are a traditional phalanx of Immortals and warriors. He has managed to convince some of the more damaged members of his retinue to modify themselves into a Destroyer Cult. However he maintains full control and sometimes joins them in the defence of his domain on his personal barge. If he decides to plant his feet firmly on the soil of his world then the barge will carry the fearsome Tesla destructor instead. Unfortunatly Ktarack has a mistrust of placing lesser necrons in vehicles and has resisted his crypteks attempts to authorise the building of any other vehicles other than his own barge. Lately a wandering Chaos band has set up base on his world. The initial attempts to remove this stain from his sight has merely resulted in the use of restoration chambers in the royal tomb for his retinues. Still there are pleanty more necron warriors that can be sent against them and if the chaos upstarts prove too difficult to shift then he could order the building of some of the new fangled flying constructs, but that would mean having to trust someone with their command. Hmmm this might require more consideration....
The ongoing struggle against my usual opponent a nice lady who plays Chaos continues. She always comes up with something to surprise me. I fear a chaos decked EX-imperial Knight might be on the cards as I know she just brought one. 'help'

My Tau backstory revolves around a small backwater planet in the Farsight Enclaves. So far even the great Farsight has risen to put down a small but successful rebellion on a nearby planet and to deal with an incursion of Chaos. Although Typhus seems to have moved on, the human cults seem to have no end. Lately these cultists have been reinforced with larger Choas war machines. This has caught the Tau off balance. And while initially our tactics were successful. Things are starting to turn and even Commander Farsight has had to turn his attention to this rising threat. There are even reports of curious looking part metal/ceramic warriors attacking the chaos army on the world they have made their base. Farsight is also concerned about this but surely this is just the frightened imaginings of the humans who live on nearby planets.

My own Chaos army has not ventured from the Eye for around 3 years now. It has only ever been engaged in making sure the planet they are on is free from other Choas warbands. The Lord of the planet is in no hurry to fight the hated Space marines again as his promised deamon allies proved completely unreliable in the last encounter. He has since executed the sorcerer who convinced him of that idea and is busy adding more firepower to his army. Perhaps a landraider or other vehicles could be traded for. Hmmmm I might have to go raiding for some slaves to use as bargaining chips.

I like to put my games into the backstories, this is not difficult as I do not get to play more than 1 or 2 games a month. I tend to alternate between fantasy and 40K at the moment. There is simply no other LOTR players with more than a warband at the moment for me to play. But that might change, who knows.

Some of the other gamers I know have started playing Flames of War so I might have a look at that soon, but I need to wait until I can get some regular opponents. I'm trying to find someone who can give me a regular lift to the local gaming group during the summer. Just no luck yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very good back stories, after 30 odd years of gaming I'm finally getting around to it. I'm originally from down that neck of the country. Moved up here about a year after my little girl was born - she's 21 next week!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
...Ogres are simply a wandering tribe called the mountain eaters after the curious habit that some members of the tribe have of eating rocks to help crush up the enormous volumes of 'meat' that they ingest, while in their stomachs. 'I am still working on their background but its a good start.'
Stones swallowed to help pulverize and digest food are called gastroliths. You might want to consider taking some inspiration from the term for your ogres.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts