Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined Heresy online. I have always been into the warhammer universe into the books, codexs and background stories. Havent started building an army just yet but planning on it when i get enough money up

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hey, welcome to Heresy!

As for an Army, or which system? I`m not too sure, though it seem`s alot of members are being drawn to Fantasy due to the new (8th Edition) coming out soon. As for 40k, there`s a large community, and if your interested in the background, and Black Library publications, we have a succinct but strong community there, as well.

Bobss :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as of an army and thank you but I do know about the black libary i have bought many books from there(maybe too many haha). I am at the moment reading Grey Seer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, we're all new at some point, so welcome to 40K!! I just started playing, myself, about 2 months ago. In that time I've put together an SM army and played a tournament, Astronomi-con.

The community has been really great, and I'm sure where you are there are plenty of people who will help you with the nuances of the game.

As far as an army, I went SM because, well, half the Assault on Black Reach box is SM. The fact that you get the rulebook (the smaller paperback, but all the rules nonetheless) makes it a great deal.

My SM army is the Black Templars, mostly because I am a terrible painter and I basecoat everything in Chaos Black, so I'm almost home just with the spray can!

Keep reading the novels, and just remember to HAVE FUN!!!

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Hello, and welcome to Heresy Online! For an 40k army, it might be a good start to get the Assault on Black Reach box, it has a small army of around 500 points of Orks and Space Marines... But thats if you like the armies in the box, but they are cheap, and you get that little rule book... It is good enough to play with, I am still using mine, havent got around buying the 5th edition huge book yet... An easy army to paint are the Necrons, but thats just what I think... For fantasy I would say that the Battle For Skull pass box would be great if you like Dwarfs or Goblins, but there is ones set back, out dated rule book... But thats nothing major, as you get around a 100 models... Awesome, or you could wait for the new boxed set...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thank you for your help! very much. I will look into the space marine army im not that good of a painter but the soul drinkers or space wolves have caught my eye or possibly the grey knights.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Unfortunatly there currently arnt any models out for the Soul drinkers unless you intend on modding some SM, plus from the reading the books i dont know if the should be SM or CSM.
Gray Knights are a great force and one i enjoy playing, unfortuntaly they are limited in a lot of aspects and have a High points cost, though im prying they will up-rev the codex to resolve this. The other downside to the GK is the fact that the models are quite expensive even on Ebay.
Though overall avalabilty and up-to-date rules i would go for the space wolves, though these i would say are a bit more technical to paint when you get the chapter specific models.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
The Space Wolves have got a new codex, and loads of new models, so you wont have to worry all that much about "Does this look like a Space Wolf". The only reason why I dont play Space Wolves is that I aint all that good at painting them, so I chose the Grey Knights, as they are kind of straight forward, and you need a steady hand to get good results, its basically just dry brushing the model with metalics after you have undercoated hi black, and then you just have to fill in the details...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you both i will have to try them both eventually from how many praise how bad ass the space wolves are. How are the blood angels?

·
Registered
17 Posts
HI Welcome:victory:
Start with what ever catches your eye
then go to the one that matches your way of playing - swarming ect..............
If you can't use that race or it just doesn't look that awesome change race or color them different.
^^One of the first rules of Warhammer^^
If SM is your race then go for it :drinks:

·
Registered
164 Posts
How are the blood angels?
The blood angels are a great force to play with a unique background... with the new release of the codex however, there are tons of people playing them.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
thank you both i will have to try them both eventually from how many praise how bad ass the space wolves are. How are the blood angels?
The pretty marines? As a force? They are competitive and they are nice but their color scheme is abit bland and their fluff is abit "oh poor me" ish. Tbh I play wolves and I love them. Fun to paint, great conversion oppertunities and they kick the living bajesus out of everything they get their hands on in both tabletop and fluff. Best choice IMO. Btw, welcome to heresy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. well guess im gonna have to go with both of them then. Both of them sound awesome with fluff and everything. Thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts