Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this but I'm curious what 40K novels I should be looking at to read if I wan to brush up on my fluff. I'm strictly talking pre HH, HH and post HH atm. I'm pretty new to 40K but I love to read and so far the little fluff I have read is absolutely awesome. Thanks:so_happy:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Anything with CS Goto anywhere near it, set fire to.

Obviously, the Horus Heresy series is the best to get.

And the regulars will know the next plug coming in - Shadowpoint and Execution Hour (the Gothic War PtO Anthology) is an awesome novel, and naval combat has rarely changed since the HH (still using much of the same ships, so it's not like comparing a WW1 Dreadnought to a Type 45 Destroyer.) Anything to support getting Rennie back to 40K, the better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the books entitled with HH are the way to go...... and stay away from anything with CS Goto, 10-4 sir!

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Oh no, go near to it by all means if you want. For example, I purposefully download his book extracts and print them out to wipe my arse with after a shit.

It's not the fact that they're horrendously unfluffy (Multilaser fetish, Marine Grenade launchers, and d movie marines), but the fact that he's such a shit writer, it makes me want to punch the book until I cut my knuckles causing the bleeding to obscure the words.

However, I just settle for putting the book down and rapid typing ebay.com.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh no, go near to it by all means if you want. For example, I purposefully download his book extracts and print them out to wipe my arse with after a shit.

It's not the fact that they're horrendously unfluffy (Multilaser fetish, Marine Grenade launchers, and d movie marines), but the fact that he's such a shit writer, it makes me want to punch the book until I cut my knuckles causing the bleeding to obscure the words.

However, I just settle for putting the book down and rapid typing ebay.com.

LMFAO.......:laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Good choice Vaz.

Seriously though the Heresy Series is excellent, shows how 40k became the false god-fearing, mutant burning, xenophobic, corrupt mess that we all know. If you want to read Heresy you should get Horus Rising and False Gods, start with those, and then keep on reading.

Post-heresy there is far more variety. For Space Marines i'd recommend Soul Hunter for the Night Lords series, Salamander for the Tome of Fire series or the Blood Angels omnibus. Or the Space Marines Battles series.

Others i'd say Ciaphas Cain or Eisenhorn. Those two are excellent. You should also give Warhammer Fantasy a try, its really the best fantasy out there. Chronicles of Malus Darkblade, Brunner the Bounty Hunter, or Thanquol and Boneripper trilogy. Can't go wrong.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
In fairness, trying to get up to speed with 40k fluff by reading in a chronalogical order will mean you won't get to some really good stuff for a long time. However, the HH series is quite excellent with one or two exceptions, and would be a good place to start. But there are several omnibus collections that would break up the Heresy stuff nicely, like the Gaunt's Ghosts Founding, The Eisenhorn trilogy, and, as previously mentioned, The Gothic War collection. Also, there are many short story anthologies that are a great source of fluff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Damn picked up Eldar Prophecy this morning!, you could have told me earlier that Goto wasn't worth reading. Still it was only 50p so not a big loss.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Start with the Horus Heresy by all means, but one of the things i love in the HH series are the little refrences or characters from 40k that get mentioned or foreshadowed in them that people who know the current 40k fluff will read and go ooooooooooh

But HH series brilliant, the supposed order is
Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy In Flames
Flight of the Eisenstein
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels
Legion
Battle for the Abyss
Mechanicum
Tales of Heresy
Fallen Angels
Thousand Sons
Nemisis

Some people like to mix some of them around but generally stick to that order, as previous incidents and characters from the other books will get refrenced which you wouldnt get obviously having not read it. I know it sounds obvious but my mate the fuckwit read them all out of order then got massively confused or had hundreds of questions

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Others i'd say Ciaphas Cain or Eisenhorn. Those two are excellent. You should also give Warhammer Fantasy a try, its really the best fantasy out there. Chronicles of Malus Darkblade, Brunner the Bounty Hunter, or Thanquol and Boneripper trilogy. Can't go wrong.
following on from that the ravenor trilogy is excellent and fantasy wise gotrek and felix adventures

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
excellent, I'll be starting with the HH series first, and I will read them in order, i'm OCD about that kind of thing. I've read the WOT and Drizzt series cover to cover twice and I don't like to skip around. :eek:k:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Nope - Gotrek and Felix and Space Wolves have been running for longer - HH was 2006-2010 (4 years), while Space Wolf was first published in 2003, while Wolfs Honour was 2008 (5 years - if you include the Anthology, it was 6 years), and Gotrek and Felix was first released in 1999, with Shamanslayer released in 2009 (10 years). If you include the spin off series (Bloodborn, and Temple of the Sun), that brings it to 11.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It must have the greatest number of novels in the series though?, dos anyone have an clue how many books the series is planned to be or is it just going to keep going lol.

I'm 80% of the way through Horus Rising, pretty damn cool book aint it!, I've been on these boards for a while now but it's actually my first ever lack Library book. I think Horus Rising serves as a great intro to Warhammer 40,000 (even though it's really 30,000 in this book), it really does a great job for a novice of explaining the Legions of Adeptus Astartes (do they ever refer to themselves as Space Marines?), does a great job at hinting at the other races in the universe (eldar, greenskins etc) and is full of action and interesting characters. Top Stuff.

Just one thing I'm not clear about, why did all the humans scatter away from Old Terra thousands of years before anyway?, did the human race just naturally disperse into the stars once they had developed FTL travel and then there a some disaster or war on Old Terra so they lost contact with most of it's settlements?.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I hate Horus Rising as it makes me like Horus so damn much! The book really shows you how he was chosen to be the warmaster and was seen as the greatest of the Emperors sons, soon as i finished the book i just though 'damn' as it really makes his fall so much more tragic. Even Abaddon is likeable as ever. Brilliant book.

Think they're going to be making alot, theirs still alot of ground to cover before the Seige of Terra itself. True alot of the events may be squashed into a Tales of Heresy type book, but there are still so many events which really need their own book to set up the Seige. I for one anyway hope they make looooads, really set up the Seige as best as they can

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Just one thing I'm not clear about, why did all the humans scatter away from Old Terra thousands of years before anyway?, did the human race just naturally disperse into the stars once they had developed FTL travel and then there a some disaster or war on Old Terra so they lost contact with most of it's settlements?.
The Human race spread out from Terra and colonised the Sol System and nearby systems using sub-light spacecraft throughout the Age of Terra (M1-15). The Second Age of Technology (M18-22) brought the invention of the warp-drive, which vastly accelerated the speed with which the human race spread throughout the stars, human colonies were established across the galaxy. However this Golden Age came crashing to an end with the Age of Stife (M26-30), when vast and turbulent warp storms and rifts engulfed the galaxy. Eventually preventing all warp travel all together. The vast majority of Human colonies became isolated and devolved into lawlessness. They were preyed upon by Xenos and Daemons alike.

Then the Fall of the Eldar occured and Slaanesh was born, which calmed the furious warp, its rage all but spent. This event allowed the Emperor to retake to the stars and begin the Great Crusade to reunite humanity. Thats it in a nutshell. :p

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Human race spread out from Terra and colonised the Sol System and nearby systems using sub-light spacecraft throughout the Age of Terra (M1-15). The Second Age of Technology (M18-22) brought the invention of the warp-drive, which vastly accelerated the speed with which the human race spread throughout the stars, human colonies were established across the galaxy. However this Golden Age came crashing to an end with the Age of Stife (M26-30), when vast and turbulent warp storms and rifts engulfed the galaxy. Eventually preventing all warp travel all together. The vast majority of Human colonies became isolated and devolved into lawlessness. They were preyed upon by Xenos and Daemons alike.

Then the Fall of the Eldar occured and Slaanesh was born, which calmed the furious warp, its rage all but spent. This event allowed the Emperor to retake to the stars and begin the Great Crusade to reunite humanity. Thats it in a nutshell. :p
great history lesson.....:biggrin:

·
Registered
363 Posts
wait....wasn't Slanny born way before the human race?? I know that Khorne was the first God to awaken and Slaanesh was the newst one but I always thought that the eldar reached their pinnacle back when the human race didn't even exist. Im confused now...

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
wait....wasn't Slanny born way before the human race?? I know that Khorne was the first God to awaken and Slaanesh was the newst one but I always thought that the eldar reached their pinnacle back when the human race didn't even exist. Im confused now...
The Eldar Empire reached its pinnacle of achievement and civilisation around a million years ago, however that is not when Slaanesh gained divine consciousness. Slowly but surely, the Eldar Empire slipped into decadence and decay as its people were gripped by indulgence and hedonism. It was this behaviour that allowed Slaanesh to slowly coalesce in the warp, until eventually in M30 the Fall of the Eldar occured as Slaanesh burst into consciousness.

So in answer to your question, no Slaanesh wasn't born before the human race. Humanity had already achieved galactic empires and federations, warp travel, and three ages of technology thousands of years before Slaanesh was born.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts