Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

HH 36 - The Path of Heaven by Chris Wraight is available

10K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  forkmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/path-of-heaven-ebook.html

The Khan returns! After the events of 'Scars', the White Scars Legion have chosen their loyalties. Now, after years of battle against the traitors, it's time to return to Terra and prepare for the inevitable invasion. But first, Jaghatai and his warriors must brave a gauntlet of enemies and the terrors of the warp...

READ IT BECAUSE
It's a brand new chapter in the Horus Heresy and begins the march to Terra – though perhaps not in quite the way you'd expect.

THE STORY
For too long had the Vth Legion ranged out beyond the sight of the wider Imperium, remaining ignorant of the Warmaster’s rebellion and the war that inevitably followed. Only once their primarch, Jaghatai Khan, had satisfied himself that the path before them was just and true did the White Scars choose a side, taking the fight to the traitors on every front. But, four years later, the Legion’s unfettered spirit has been broken by relentless attritional warfare against the Death Guard and the Emperor’s Children – the Khan’s Stormseers must find a clear route to Terra if they are to take part in the final, apocalyptic battle.

----------------------

Looks absolutely promising! With how epic Scars was, I am looking forward to sinking into this one.
A brand new HH novel for once, instead of an anthology.

See less See more
#4 ·
This looks fun. Most of what I've read by Wraight has been pretty good, and he certainly did well with Scars.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Finished it. Pretty pleased with it. Starting out at a casual place and winding up all the way through the book to an absolutely explosive finale. Which draws in elements from all of his previous white scars stories and several other ones. This is definitely one of the better Heresy books and a worthy sequel to Scars.

But a certain guest of the white scars steals the show and I am quite curious to see whats going to happen to him in the future.

Though ill say that theres intriguing new insights into a very special device and its doings. Which clearly seems to be a lead for the Master of Mankind novel to come.

#14 · (Edited)
That I can do!

~ Dramatis Personae ~
The V Legion ‘White Scars’

Jaghatai Khan, The Khagan, the Warhawk, primarch of the V Legion
Qin Xa, Master of the keshig guard
Namahi, Qin Xa’s second

Ganzorig Noyan-Khan, Lord commander
Qin Fai Noyan-Khan, Lord commander

Targutai Yesugei, Zadyin arga,
Stormseer Naranbaatar
Oskh

Jubal Khan, The Lord of Summer Lightning
Khulan Khan, Brotherhood of the Golden Path
Ainbataar Khan, Brotherhood of the Night’s Star
Algu Khan, Brotherhood of the Pennant Spear

Shiban Khan, Known as ‘Tachseer’, Brotherhood of the Storm
Jochi

Yiman
Torghun Khan, Sagyar mazan kill-squad leader
Sanyasa, Sagyar mazan
Ahm, Sagyar mazan
Gerg , Sagyar mazan
Holian, Sagyar mazan
Inchig, Sagyar mazan
Ozad , Sagyar mazan
Wai-long , Sagyar mazan

Jaijan, Emchi Apothecary

Taban, Sensorium master, Swordstorm
Avelina Hjelvos, Master of Navigators, Swordstorm

Tamaz, Sensorium master, Kaljian

Idda, Master of the watch, Melak Karta
Erya, Mistress of sub-warp navigation, Melak Karta

The XV Legion ‘Thousand Sons’
Revuel Arvida, Errant sorcerer, and friend to the V Legion

The III Legion ‘Emperor’s Children’
Eidolon, ‘The Soul-Severed’, Lord Commander Primus
Von Kalda, Apothecary, equerry to Lord Commander Eidolon
Azael Konenos, Legion consul and orchestrator
Galian Erato, Vexillary

Ravasch Cario, Prefector of the Palatine Blades
Avanarola, Sub-prefector of the Palatine Blades
Haiman
Vorainn
Urelias
Raffel

Harkian, Shipmaster of the Suzerain

Eleanora Kulba, Shipmaster of the Terce Falion
Fael Alobus, Deck-officer, Terce Falion
Cavelli, Navigator, Terce Falion

The XIV Legion ‘Death Guard’
Mortarion, The Death Lord, primarch of the XIV Legion

Gremus Kalgaro, Marshal, siegemaster

Ulfar, Shipmaster of the Endurance
Lagaahn, Gunnery master, Endurance
Trangh, Master of the watch, Endurance

Imperial personae
Ilya Ravallion, General, Departmento Munitorum

Pieter Helian Achelieux, Novator, Navis Nobilite
Veil, Magister

Khalid Hassan, Chosen of Malcador

Non-Imperial personae
Manushya-Rakshsasi

----------------------------
A single unmentioned person makes an important cameo appearance.

#19 ·
Ooohhh boy, some Emperor's Children! Last I saw of them they were a bunch of incompetent gaggling idiots barely able to formulate or stick to a battle plan in Angel Exterminatus. Is this still the case?

#21 ·
Oh boy...any chance you can elaborate on how (either in Spoiler tab or PM)? I'm wondering if this could be what finally tips me into traitor Emperor's Children...

#26 ·
I'm really hyped for this book and I won't be spoiling myself for a change so this is the last time I visit this thread until I've read it. I was wondering what it meant by their encounter with the EC as they did not appear in Scars. However it seems like they feature in this post-Angel Exterminatus. Fun to see Eidolon again after his decapitation (despite it was a dick-move to bring him back) also some more new character and their interaction against the White Scars.

Also I see a connection with The Sigillite-audio drama even though that is some of his lesser good work.

Edit: Also if you want to post spoilers, just use the spoiler-tags here which will hide the text unless you click the button.

#28 ·
Just finished the ebook.

Definitely one of the best HH books in recent memory for me. I can't rank all 36 since I haven't read the earlier ones in years. Looking at just book 20 (Primarchs) and up...I would say only Betrayer and Scars would be comparable in quality, in my humble opinion.

There are quite a few plot lines at the beginning but they converge nicely near the middle of the book.

#31 ·
This was a good book. There was a heck of a lot going on, but it was all resolved satisfactorily. A small bit of course-correction for some things as well. Maybe one slightly superfluous plot element, but it did give some screen time that some people will probably appreciate. I think fans of most of the legions represented will be happy enough with what goes on.
I need more of my man
, stat.

I skimmed a lot of the generic fighting tbh, sometimes the scale of legion combats can be a bit wearing; yeah, you have to show loads of guys and things fighting and blowing up because of the setting, but I personally find that slightly tedious with a new book when you just want to get to the character moments in those battles. Sure I will appreciate it on re-reads. And there are cool bits in the fighting, it's not bolter-slog, I should hasten to add.

But it's a character and plot-movement book. Central to the wider story, this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.