Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow, guys serious thanks for rundown. I just found out yesterday my room-mate used to play and still has his Tau army, so thankfully I find I'm not lacking for opponents. You guys reinfored what I had been thinking. I'd read that SM armies are generally smaller due to their point costs. I read a SM army list guide before I found the site. From what I understood of the guide and my thoughts towards the army this is the basic concept of what I was thinking. (Obviously right now I still have no idea what costs what and the composition is going to need to be ironed out as I start to actually figure out what costs what.)

This may sound kinda lame but since my initial intro to the game was the HH series I really want my army to function like legions. I'm sure there are specific and correct terms for what I'm conceptualizing here but bear with me. I'm kinda condensing all the thoughts on my army list, tactics, and just general ideas into this.

I want my army to be like shocktroops, a really aggressive style strategy. I definitely want to use close combat assault types as a fist with a good mix of mid range types. Now I know I am getting ahead of myself with some of this but I read about the deep insertion mechanic and the idea of dropping a terminator supported by a group of assault/cc marines into the middle of an enemy force and just tearing things up is very appealing.

So yeah, while right now I have no idea to achieve it :D , my general idea for the army tactics is fast moving, hard hitting, assault style army.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey all, I just got home from putting a serious dent in my wallet :( , but I now have an actual army :rock: ! I picked up the space marine battleforce, a dreadnought, and a HQ. Now just a long night of assembly and a long weekend of painting. My room-mate and other friend picked up armies as well, so i really pumped to dive in. Sorry just had to share :D .

· Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,078 Posts
Congrats dude, you decided on a chapter yet?

What HQ unit did you pick up?

Also if you have a camera and feel like documenting your first army then why not make a blog of it?

Love the sig by the way.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks man, for now I just picked up a commander, nothing special, and i haven't moved into a chapter. I think I am going to go DIY chapter wise since I have a very specific color scheme in mind. And I am trying to document the process with my digi. It's slow going, still working on assembling. And I adopted that quote along time ago, being that it comes from the escape series its actually pretty poignant.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Sensai, first I would like to welcome you to our community and hope you feel welome.

Second, I'm proud of you fro dropping WoW cause it kills too much time you could spend wargaming or being on this forum :wink: .

Third, Since quite alot of people here are new to the hobby in different ways (Modelling, Painting, Gaming) I'm putting up an all-in-one article on how to do everything from cutting your minatures from the sprue, through basics on painting up to doing extreme highlighting and making your mini look absolutely awesome.

Once again, Welcome.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the guides guys. I got the army constructed and have settled on a paint scheme. I read a few of the guides posted here (big ups to those who posted). Going back to the shop right now actually to pick up a termie squad and a few more paints. I base coated the existing army last night so they are ready to paint.

· Registered
27 Posts
Hey, I am a real life friend of Swindler who started playing when he did. I ended up choosing IG. We played our first game this weekend and ended up getting spanked by Blood Ravens chapter. It was a learning experience for us.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
hijacking my hello thread :shock:

heh, anyways yeah 501st is a friend I encouraged to sign up here.

welcome dude.

· Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,078 Posts
Welcome dude. You do know you can create your own thread so we can welcome you solo aye?

Anway - have a good time here. If you've got a digital camera please feel free to post up some pics of your IG - we'd love to see them.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey Swindler whereabouts in the Pittsburgh area do you live? I'm in Youngwood very close to greensburg and I'm making an Ork force after a 6 year hiatus from tabletop games. Long story short I got a whole bunch of WAAAGH and no one to WAAAGH at :p

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.