Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was browsing for game info and stumbled across the site. From the posts I browsed this is a very impressive community you have here and I thought I would pop in and say hi.

I am a complete noob when it comes to the actual game. I have been aware of it for years but never had the time/money to drop on a new hobby. I recently quit playing WoW and am looking for a change of pace so here I am :) . I was introduced to the game through the horus heresy book series which I just finished the newest book. Quite simply the lore and history of the game are amazing, I and a friend have become very interested.

I am from the Pittsburgh area and haven't even started picking up the rule books and codex. Planning on remedying that this weekend. Just hoping for some friendly advice to steer me towards where I need to be getting started. Having been reading the horus series I already have my mind set on SM for my first army. Any advice is absolutely welcome.

Thanks in advance,

-Swind

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Another WoW survivor?

That makes the grand tally-TWO!! :lol:

Welcome buddy! I'm glad you like what you see!

Love to see what you contribute to our community. :wink:

Ask any question you need-dont be embarassed!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya guys, thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm just trying to work through all the info I can find on the game. Gonna swing by the local game shop today and take a look at the rule set and codex, try and get a feel for the local scene and base info. Being that I haven't even lain eyes on a rule book yet I will try to suppress the thousands of questions I have from reading the resources site I have been browsing today.

My main question is a balance issue. Having played CCGs, MMOs, RTS, and what have you, and from what I have read my main question is: Can any army be competitive? Obviously there are the same balance issues with 40k as there are with any multi-faction game, but can a reasonably built army of any faction be competitive? Being new to the tabletop genre as a whole all I have to go on via experience is a CCG such as Magic.

From what I have read for army lists obviously certain factions have natural adavantages over others, but does it go to the point where fielding a certain faction army is a waste of time against certain counter faction armies? Man, I'm long-winded today, but in my particular case I want to field a SM army for my first as I said above. Is this a smart move and will I find myself able field a respectable all around playable army going this route? Whew, thanks again for any and all advise.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Oh, yes.

But a large part of that is up to you. You must take in your opponent, his possible forces,the possible terrrain, the mission,etc.

Any army can be competitive. Each army has its own pluses, but then the other armies have counters for those, but they all have small weaknesses that can be exploited, etc.

Tactics, after all, is what 40k is all about.

Dont worry about how many questions youhave--we'll happily help with all of them--ALL of them. Dont be shy. :)

PS- This isnt your average RTS video game. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anphicar, thank you sir. That was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Having never seriously looked at any table top game the sheer amount of options and custimization is a bit daunting, but I'm really excited to dive in.

Along those lines I saw the battle for macragge box set as I was looking at the introductory info. Is this starter set worth it (primarily to use as a foundation or jump off point for my first army, or would I be better suited just picking up the rule book, SM codex and start building from the ground up?

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Woo-Hoo, Fresh Fish to play with. :evil: :twisted:

>> Sorry. Enjoy yer time on Heresy. Peeps are cool, if a few slightly weird and strange. Watch for Anphicar, he is purely strange :lol:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Hey Sensai

Welcome to the boards man, its really good to meet new people just getting into the game and boy what a time you have decided to join - with the release of Apocalypse coming out in the next two months heaps of sweet deals are going to be heading our way.

Ask all the questions you want, everybody here is here to help.

See you around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the welcome all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome Sensai!

I'm still a WoW addict - I'll kick that habit some day.

To answer your Battle for Macragge question - I found it worthwhile. It's a very simplistic introduction to the game, and it really smooths out the learning curve of the basic rules for you.

I can't recall how much it costs, as my friend bought it (score!), but if you've got the cash for it, and you're completely new to the rules, it's definitely worth it.

As a nice bonus, you get some Space Marine models that you can use later (since you're going that route), as well as templates you will need later anyway, and some nice terrain pieces.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
SensaiSwindler said:
Anphicar, thank you sir. That was exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Along those lines I saw the battle for macragge box set as I was looking at the introductory info. Is this starter set worth it (primarily to use as a foundation or jump off point for my first army, or would I be better suited just picking up the rule book, SM codex and start building from the ground up?
No problem!

Also--Dont buy the Macragge Set, imo. Unless you want to start two armies simultaneously.

Just pick up the rulebook, your favored codex, a box of troops and an HQ.

PS-The minimum to play is 1 HQ and two troops. Thats always where you start for any new army, then see what you like and use that to expand. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, I think I will take you advice Anphicar and just start fresh. Luckily my friend and I are going to hit the shop today and I can get started.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I hadn't gotten that specific yet. Like I said I want to field and SM army. I haven't decided on a specific chapter or mix match/diy. My friend is probably going to field a one of the xeno armies. I don't know enough of the mechanics yet to know what advantages/disadvantages I would get through the army make ups to decide on any specifics.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Here's basically what it boils down to:

Black Templars: Close Combat army

Blood Angels: Close Combat Army

Space Wolves: Can be configured to either CC or Shooting with equally nice results

Dark Angels: I would say mostly shooty

Ultramarines: Anything really, they're just your standard Codex SM list with no extras

Oh, here's some xenos for your friend:

Eldar: Shooty, CC, whatever, the eldar can do it all. I am on an eternal quest to beat the living bejesus out of my friend's eldar army, with mixed results. (They're just that crazy!)

Dark Eldar: Extremely fast, but individually weak and lack a lot of heavy hitting units. Mainly useful as a veteran army, as one mistake and you're boned.

Tyranids: A swarm army (that means a lot of insignificant models that you put together to swarm your opponent) with arguably the best CC ability in 40K. If you end up in CC with the nids, you're doing something wrong, and are most likely going to lose. To balance this out, they also have a lot of larger xenos, equipped with crazy guns that rip through tanks like no one's business.

Tau: The shootiest army on the board (Well, Imperial Guard can give 'em a run for their money, but still). Armed with shiny guns, shiny tanks, shiny robots, shiny mechasuits, they are one of the most techologically advanced races on the table, and you would do well to close into CC pretty damn quick if you don't want to be torn to shreds by pulse rifle fire. They suck at CC (When a guardsman stands a better chance at beating you, you suck) so they hire Kroot Mercs to fight in CC for them.

Orks:

Greenskins have a one track mind when it comes to making war: close with the enemy and beat them to shit with giant axes, blades and chainsaws. An extremely effective CC army. That's not to say you couldn't use them as a shooty army, you could. Bear in mind though, one ork with a shoota can't hit the broad side of a Baneblade. 100 Orks with shootas, on the other hand...

Am I forgetting anyone? Don't think so. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
well marines are very good at everything, they can shoot, fight and are tough. However they are expensive points wise. This means against a shooty army you should engage the enemy, against a cc army you should shoot them and against a mixed army you need a mix. Marines are probably the most competative army at the moment so you should be fine

1 - 20 of 42 Posts