Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In our subsection in a couple of threads ive noticed a bit of 'so and so is a better writer than so and so'... Lets put this to the test once and for all, lets find out who we think is the BL's best 40K author. I went to the BL website for the list so if im missing someone... blame BL, not me. Note: this is for 40K authors only, if you have a love for a warhammer author, i give you permission to praise your love in the warhammer subsection, or... create your own poll for warhammer authors. I have added an 'others' option in case i have missed anyone! if so, choose this option and post who and why. If you have a top 3 or 5 or even 10, thats fine, let us know in a post. but for all intensive purposes, this is a vote for the BEST author, not authors. so you can only vote 1 - your all time favourite.

Order of authors is as appears on the BL website here:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Authors

* For me, it's Brother Subtle's Top 5:

1. Dan Abnett - Sir Dan, Dan the Man. Call him what you will, he sets the benchmark as far as 40k fiction goes. Just thinking about the first time i read Horus Rising or the Esienhorn Omnibus makes me wish i could read them for the first time again they are that good.
2. Graham McNeill - 2nd only to Abnett, and not by much. Ultramarines series aside (wasnt keen on this), ive loved pretty much everything he's written. Like Abnett, his writing seems more 'mature and grown up' than other BL writers.
3. William King - My first 40K novel was Space Wolf, so King has a special place in my heart. This man could use 2 pages to describe a scene and it really felt like i was in every scene right there next to the character. Wish he'd come back!
4. James Swallow - Duffed up the Blood Angels 'Dues' books, but with Flight of the Eisenstein and Nemesis. He's made a good comeback.
5. Simon Suprrier/Aaron Dembski-Bowden/Anthony Reynolds - couldnt split these guys. all of excellent Chaos Space Marine writing calibre.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd say; 1 Graham Mc Neil. His stories captivate me. I have yet to read something by him I didn't love
2 Dan Abnett. He's the man. Storries are great and his style of writing would put him ahead of Mc Neil in my list if not for Fulgrim.
3 James Swallow. I enjoy how James writes. Gripping, can't put his books down cuz i wanna read what happens next.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
My top dog of them all has been, and likely always will be, Mr. Abnett. Eisenhorn is the reason I'm as into the books and fluff as I am, no other author for BL has created anything that has come close to rivaling that for me.

After him, its generally a toss up, likely with McNeil taking second, Spurrier and King fighting over third and fourth, Lightner hitting up five, ADB getting my six spot, Swallow in there at number seven, Mitchell claiming eight, and Yeoval and Watson dueling for nine and ten (Though Yeovel more so for the vampire Genevieve and therefore not a 40k novel.)

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I went

1. Graham McNeill though I think that book The Chapter's Due might have been the worst 40k novel i ever read. Got to give him credit for Fulgrim, A Thousand Sons, and Honsou's character, even though it did extend to the Ultramarines series.

2. Ben Counter. I thought he totally screwed up when writing Heresy novels, but I did like Soul Drinkers series, and Hammer of Daemons.

3. Dan Abnett. I really enjoyed Horus Rising the most out of the first three Heresy Novels, as I thought Dan Abnett made Loken's character and apearence the best out of the three. Wasn't a big fan of Legion but I was looking forward to Prospero Burns.

4. Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I like his portrayel of his chaos character in Soul Hunter. As I am more interested in the chaos legion's aspect more than the loyalist I'm further interested in his work, especially in how he defends the Word Bearer's in the threads. Which is pretty hard especially with how a lot of people see them as probably the legion with the whimpiest primarch. So I'm looking forward to his work in November.

5. Gav Thorpe. I liked Path of the Warrior and Angels of Darkness. My biggest disapointment with him is the work he didn't do and I thought he could have done a good job on... Mainly, the Dark Angels series in the Heresy. I thought the way it was written just made it the biggest disapointment so far in the Heresy as it revolves around arguably the most mysterious chapter. The mystery and secrets of the Dark Angels I liked the best portrayed was in Angels of Darkness so I just thought it was too bad that neither reflected one another.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
No.1- for me it has to be Mr.Abnett, I think the Saint story arc in his Gaunt's Ghost series is one of my favourite arcs in any publication, not just BL.

2- Graham McNeill with Storm of Iron, the Ultramarine series, and the awesomeness of A Thousand Sons/Fulgrim/False Gods means that it will take a herculean effort to surplant him from his perpetual silver medal slot in my opinion (I doubt there's any way another author could kick Dan off the top spot).

3- Sandy Mitchell, adds a dose of much needed humour to a universe that often becomes mired in its own grimness, but never to the point of ridiculousness.

4- Aaron Dembski-Bowden, I don't think he's put a foot wrong but with only 3 published novels he still has a lot to prove before I can utter his name in the same breath as Abnett & McNeill.

(If this was a BL authors poll rather than a 40k BL one then ADB would be pushed down to joint 5th with Nathan Long by Gav Thorpe)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had to run with Sandy Mitchell as my favourite as I love the unique way hes written the Cain novels and they appeal to my sense of humour. The rest of the authors Ive read I thoroughly enjoy other than Ian Watson, who completely fornicated the Inquisition War series. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wasn't Ian Watson VERY early 40k fiction? you can forgive him for not getting his fluff spot on considering much of it hadn't been invented yet! He had to invent a lot of it himself!

·
Registered
124 Posts
wasn't Ian Watson VERY early 40k fiction? you can forgive him for not getting his fluff spot on considering much of it hadn't been invented yet! He had to invent a lot of it himself!
Wasnt anything to do with fluff. Just plain didnt enjoy the book. I read it a couple of years ago and was still quite a naive 40K reader so I might read it again and see if its improved

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Bill King. Everything he's done, I've loved, which is more than I can say for Dan Abnett (never got into Last Chancers - I still think Gaunt is a knob), having only enjoyed Double Eagle, or whatever that was. Neither am I that keen on the Horus Heresy.

If I could choose two though, Gordon Rennie is a damn close second, just from the three novels of his I've read - Execution Hour, it's sequel Shadowpoint, and Zavant. Plus, he's working on the Highlander Game, and did the original Killzone script =).

1. Bill King (Gotrek)
2. Gordon Rennie (Leoten Semper)
3. Jack Yeovil (Genevieve)
4. Robert Earl (Florin D'Artaud)
5. Mike Lee (Nagash)

Yes. I generally detest 40K Fiction in preference to Warhammer. I know it's 40K Author. But when I've not "really" got a favourite 40K author, with the exception of Bill King, (although I prefer Gotrek+Felix), and Rennie.

None of this "suddenly magic lol" in a world where it's meant to be as rare as it's deadly.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
1. Aaron Dembski-Bowden, the Night Lords series is my favourite series and his ideas for future series are all excellent in my book, Grey Knights, Black Legion, the wars in the Eye of Terror. He may not have many books under his belt but their all winners.

2. Graham McNeill, a New York Times bestseller, winner of the David Gemmell legend award and he deserved both. The very first BL novel I ever bought was Fulgrim and I was immediately hooked. A Thousand Sons is the best HH novel and his Ultramarines series was the first omnibus I ever bought. (Note, if fantasy were involved then C.L Werner would have this spot and McNeill would be third.)

3. Anthony Reynolds, ive only read his Word Bearers series buts its more then enough to make him one of my favourites. I just really hope that Marduk and the 34th Host will return one day. And his portrayal of Dark Eldar was the best in all of Black Library, he MUST write about them one day, give them the series they deserve!.

4. Sandy Mitchell, I really think that Sandy is the only writer in BL who can put so much dark humour into a book without making it gruesome, and create such comical characters that aren't bumbling villains. Ciaphas Cain is my favourite IG series, Gaunt's Ghosts just isn't as good to me, and the Dark Heresy series is a nice look at the Inquisition. Its great to see that Cain's exploits aren't over yet and looking forward to the next Cain book, The Emperor's Finest, which will be my first hardback BL novel.

5. Ben Counter, though he may have gotten some negative press with Battle for the Abyss I really like the Soul Drinkers and Grey Knights series. Plus Daemon World is still one of my favourites today, a bit more fantasy then 40k but it was excellently done and its a shame that its just a stand-alone novel. An Arguleon Veq series would be a dream.

Shocking I know, im the only one here who doesn't have Dan Abnett in his favourites. He is good but I prefer other authors to his style, Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series is very good and I do like it but I prefer Ciaphas Cain. He is good but I prefer the others, I suppose because im more interested in Space Marines then Imperial Guard. That said however I will admit that Eisenhorn and Malus Darkblade are two of my favourites, and that even though he isn't in my top five Dan Abnett, and Graham McNeill, are the only two men who could write the Siege of Terra when its time comes. If I were an editor I would entrust that to nobody else, though ADB would be a candidate once he has written more.

If Fantasy were taken into account then C.L Werner would be my 2nd favourite. I love his Thanquol and Boneripper novels, they are my favourite of all fantasy series, not just Warhammer, and his Brunner the Bounty Hunter is gritty and grim and great. Just wish he could write more about the Chaos Wastes, get the Slaanesh and Tzeentch books to complete the series, that way they'll make an omnibus and re-release Palace of the Plague Lord and Blood for the Blood God!.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
1) Dan Abnett. His abilities to weave a tale which totally immerses you, which makes you care for his usually vast cast of characters, is one of the best. He is hit-or-miss in my eyes however. For example I utterly loathed Legion and will never read Eisenhorn or Ravenor due to the way they are wrote, but Brothers of the Snake and the Ghosts are probably some of my favourite books which I have thus far, and probably will ever, read.

2) Nick Kyme. This man is purely amazing in my eyes. His Salamanders surpass any of the other series’ which are in similar states and in some ways the older ones. His large vocabulary never seems to get repetitive which is nice to see. He can create a lividly evocative history for his Marines which he shows in dream-esque flashback. However he manages to keep a mysterious feel to it and still his characters have somewhat alluded it. I cannot help but to feel vivacious when reading his battle scenes but the interterm’s between these can be sometimes….Boring.

3) Anthony Reynolds. Reynolds, has shown us the best depiction of Chaos Marines. Despite the Marines not being the best described or coolest (That falls to the Dragon Warriors of Kyme.) they are the brutal monsters which I have always hoped them to be. They are slaughterers, pillagers and conquerors. Sadly I have yet to have a chance to read his Fantasy work, which I have no doubt will be amazing when it is finally re-released. The Words Bearers will hopefully be followed up by more books, I don’t want to be left with a cliffhanger!

As you can see that is only my top three. And in all honesty, they are the only ones (Bar the Heresy.) which I think have a series’ (Or more..) worth following. Many of the other authors are simply bland in my opinion and there is very few which I like atm. Both Kyme and Reynolds should definitely get their own chance at the Heresy, in fact I think that Kyme could pull off the Siege of Terra like no other author possibly could. Hopefully with the release of Fall of Damnos, his fan base will be solidified further.

·
Registered
147 Posts
1. Dan Abnett - mainly for Titanicus [best BL book ever] and Legion. His books are most professionaly written and he can create most awesome characters.
2. Graham McNeill - mainly for The Thousand Sons and Mechanicum.
3. Aaron Dembski-Bowden - for Helsreach. most promising new author/Gav Thorpe - for Path of the Warrior.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Based on what i've read, and the qualifier being books I read over doing other things...

Dan Abnett - Loved Eisenhorn years back and Legion is my fav HH book.

Aaron Dembski Bowden - Soul Hunter had me caught, read in more or less one sitting. Hellsreach less so but still a fine book [particularly the storm trooper, and the difference in ethos between the two chapters]

Gav Thorpe - Really for Angel of Darkness which is cracking

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Nick Kyme. This man is purely amazing in my eyes. His Salamanders surpass any of the other series’ which are in similar states and in some ways the older ones. His large vocabulary never seems to get repetitive which is nice to see. He can create a lividly evocative history for his Marines which he shows in dream-esque flashback. However he manages to keep a mysterious feel to it and still his characters have somewhat alluded it. I cannot help but to feel vivacious when reading his battle scenes but the interterm’s between these can be sometimes….Boring.

Both Kyme and Reynolds should definitely get their own chance at the Heresy, in fact I think that Kyme could pull off the Siege of Terra like no other author possibly could. Hopefully with the release of Fall of Damnos, his fan base will be solidified further.
See I feel like I'm missing something crucial here, I thought Salamander was ok, a good time waster but nothing special and I wasn't impressed with the Salamander short stories.

If anyone other than Abnett or McNeill does the Siege of Terra I'll throw the mother of all hissy fits- for such an important event, the culmination of such a successful series the Black Library need to use their 'A'-team not the B-class reserves like Kyme.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts