Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heresy Online Army Challenge 2011

36K views 382 replies 97 participants last post by  Viscount Vash 
#1 · (Edited)
After a years break we are going to have a army painting challenge for 2011.

The idea if for people who have problems keeping motivated when painting an army, to work towards painting a unit a month for a year, which should allow a whole 40k or Fantasy army to be created.

As with the last challenge it is important note that this is not a competition. There is no prize at the end if you complete the entire challenege. The real reward is that you will have a fully painted army.

The Challenge Rules

At the beginning of each month I am going to open a new thread for the challenge. Post a picture of the unit before it has been painted. A picture of the completely painted unit needs to be posted before the end of the month. At the end of the month the thread will be closed.

I’ll update the main thread with all people who met the challenge that month, and at the end of the challenge we can have completed army pictures posted.

There is nothing stopping you from creating your own WIP thread if you want to, but to meet the challenge you need to post a completed unit in the challenge thread. And just like gaming there is no point cheating on this, you are only cheating yourself.

The definition of a unit for this is a squad, a character, monstrous creature, a vehicle or squadron of vehicles. This can be a 40K or WHF army. The army does not have to be ‘new’, so an army that has been started is fine, just remember the point is to paint 10 or 11 units.

IMPORTANT - A change to last time is that the units need to be from the same codex/army book. So there will be no starting one army and changing half way through to another army.

Everybody entering the challenge will be allowed to have two 'Too much real life to paint!' tickets that they can use. This means you can have two months in the year where we will not expect any pictures of painted mini's. You will just need to post the ticket instead of a unit picture. I will keep trackof when these are used.

If your interested, post here and let us all know what army you are going to do. I’ll start the new thread sometime over the Christmas period.

Any question let me know.

Additional note : Please be aware that the challenge is to enter units so you can have a nicely painted army at the end. There is no hard and fast rules about what will be acceptable over the course of the challenge but you should stick to the spirit of the challenge. Do not, for example, enter 10 single minature HQ choices over 10 months and expect it to constitute an army. I will contact entrants individually if I think they are going off course so dont worry you will have plenty of warning if I think you are not sticking to the spirit of things.

See less See more
#135 ·
Excellent, I must admit just restricting myself to posting one unit a month was going to be a bit of a ball ache to be honest. I'll aim to do the minimum of a few units a month and just keep on trucking through the armies.

And if I get done before hand, I can always go do some bits to the Iron Lords and contribute them to the challenge (I will be painting them alongside the new force anyway, but might aswell add them into the fun!)

#136 ·
yeah i think you can do that, i know i did during the last challange, as i finished 1 unit quicker than i expected, so added another unit to the mix (plus it was a good way to play catch up any months you missed).

well looks like we're gona have good mix of armys for the challange this year, and a good number of members joing the fun.
i know im looking forward to it, as i have roughly 8-900pts of guard to get done by the start of may (tanks and hydras are done for the tourny, just need troops and transports done), so be starting with guard as it looks like GK wont be around till march now......lol (more time to save up for em.....lol)

#138 ·
Me and Varakir will save the images we make for people; so it'll just be a case of plugging in the new image into another template.

1 Minute job; 1 more minute to tidy it up and upload. No issues. :biggrin:

#141 ·
So, I've been thinking this through and have come up with a tentative army painting schedule for the year.

My army consists of:
3x Raider
2x Ravager
2x Venom (need to be converted + painted)
2-4x Wrack Squads (need to be converted + painted)
1x Inccubi Squad
3x Trueborn Squads
1x Reaver Jetbike Squad
2x Warrior Squads
Archon
4x Haemonculus

Jan- 3x Raider
Feb- 2x Ravager
March- 2x Venom
April- 2x Warrior Squads
May- Inccubi Squad
June- 3x Trueborn Squads
July- 2x Wrack Squads
August- 2x Wrack Squads
Sept- Reaver Jetbike Squad
Oct- Archon
Nov- 2x Haemonculus
Dec- 2x Haemonculus

This gives me a nice full schedule. If RL gets in the way of my plans I'll just double up in subsequent months.

#142 ·
IMPORTANT - A change to last time is that the units need to be from the same codex/army book. So there will be no starting one army and changing half way through to another army.
not that it will be an issue (i dont think)

but in reference to my previous questions about if you complete an army. (for other users)

whats the go?

#144 ·
Eh. Money plans may be failing quickly. It's a shame, however I'm buying the rest of what I need to make my 2k Death Guard list, so depending on the money situation I will most likely be kicking of the challenge with those, then moving into the Wolves if finances allows. Not fun when life gives you a boot to the gonads.

Grish

#145 ·
if you complete one army, part way through the challange, then yes, you can start another army.
so for example, im starting with guard, and need to do about 900pts worth, once there finished, and eclare there done, i then start new shiny army, hopefully GK if there out by then (need my guard finished by may for a tourny).
basicly, work on one army at a time, then if its finished start another, no switching from one army to another every other month

#146 ·
Spot on by Fynn.

Another point is that you dont have to post what you are going to paint during the challenge, and if you have posted a list of units, dont feel you have to stick with it.

I have decided to go with my ork boyz. I have enough mini's to be able to start the first couple of months without needing to buy anything, allowing me to get some of my conversions sorted at the same time.

#147 ·
as i said in an earlier plus, get a rough plan of what you want, but allow for change if needed, or if another shiny unit catchs your eye for the army instead.
@humakt, as im an old misrable vet of the challange, i try and help with advice as much as i can, just let me know if i step out of bounds (and that doesnt ean giveing me pasteing in our next game......lol).

@all, if you thinking of doing any conversions, try and get them done first if you can (and if you have the parts handy), get the ackward stuff done early in the challange and that way you only have the easy units to finish off towards the end, and not trying to squeese in lots of conversions and running out of time

#148 ·
good advice fynn.

only reason i brought it back up was that i just wanted clarification from Humakt.. not that you arent sage like.. but the "Competition" (for lack of a better word) Runner's answer was what i was after.

and yes i shall be painting my boys up. to probably about 1000pts and then starting work on my brettonians :) (i so cant wait to get them started but i have heaps of unpainted orks that i want to finish off before i go buying more stuff :))

#150 ·
I'm so in!!

Now to decide what to do....

Maybe my DE that have been sitting around in commaragh since this jan....or more templars...or catachans...or nazi zombie guard....decisions, decisions...or even wotr...

Point is, if i can decide, IM IN!! :D

#152 ·
This looks like an awesome way to motivate me to paint my army. I'll give it a go.
This is what I have to paint, in no particular order:

3 x 8 Berzerkers
2 x Rhinos
7 x Plague marines
About 40 CSM including champs, flamers, LCs, MGs etc
2 x Demon Prince
1 x Sorceror
5x Obliterators (Still converting)
About 10 termies
1 x Spawn
20+ Lost and the damned (To be converted)

It'd be great to have all these dudes painted.

#154 ·
I'm so excited I went and did a test model. It's quite sad actually...

So far I've got:
-15 Fire warriors, all ready to be painted.
-8 Pathfinders, also ready to be painted.
-A Devilfish, which needs a little conversion work.
-A Commander, which needs a heap of GSing to fill in gaps from various changes.

It should be enough to keep me going for a couple months till I can put together some more stuff.

#156 ·
Been awhile since I've gotten involved in anything community related on here. Plus I can always use motivation to actualy compleat an army, been working on my IG army for 15 years & it's almost done. As long as my employment situation gets better by next year I'll definently give this a try. I'll be doing either Dark Eldar, really like the Jetbikes but not much else so don't know if I want to do a whole army, or work on the Angels of Absolution (DA successor) 10th company army I stared a little while ago as a side project.

#157 ·
Well, conveniently I've bought around 2500 points of Blood Angels over the past few months and they're currently in transit back to the US.

As all are assembled and none are painted, I'll definitely be looking forward to getting involved with this, especially since it's taken me the better part of 2 1/2 years to paint my CSM, so an actual monthly goal will be good to try and do.

Now, if only I had some background fluff as well... *starts writing*

Yes, I'm a nerd.

#158 · (Edited)
Finally something that might keep me motivated... I believe that I will join this, but I am not sure if I will do it with my Space Marines or my Daemonhunters...

Also, two questions:

1) You said that they had to be from one codex, but if I chose Daemonhunters, can I paint, say, Imperial Guardsmen as allied units?

2) Are they allowed to be undercoated and still count as unpainted?

#161 ·
Damn, damn, damn... I hope you are wrong...

1, good question, i would say yes, provideing your painting em in inducted colours to match the inquisitors and so on, but Humakt will have the final say on that.

2. undercoated is fine
Sounds a lot better... :grin:

#162 ·
@ultra111, dont forget, that in the paper version of the deamon hunters codex (and not the shity PDF) guard platoons are listed in the allies section, just no stats given.
But at the end of the day its up to Humakt hows he wants to play it, so to speak

#164 ·
I think you all are looking into this way to much... Its really not rocket science.

You start with one army, once and if you complete it then you are allowed to go to the next. As for going back to the original army you cant plain and simple. You have already said 'I have completed my first army so I am now switching to ______. So if you go back your just lying and trying to cheat.

Honestly Humakt, I think you should keep it to one army. Or what I think is going to happen is people will do some small elite squads, maybe a vehicle, and an HQ then say their army is done. Move onto the next army and do an HQ, a maybe a troop choice, some small elite and fast attack squads, and by the end of it they have generated 30 newly painted models over the course of the year.

I just think it would be a lot cooler to see full armies with 12 months of new additions / stripping and re-doing older poorly painted models or something of that sort. Oppose to jumping armies and having a bunch of random stuff.

my 2 cents anyway....

Chaosftw

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.