Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
There could be an award for the person who at the end of the year has tried the hardest, and hasn't used any 'tickets'? I know it's not a competition but just an idea I thought I would express :) It wouldn't be 'winning', so to speak, mostly acknowledgment.

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
I can pretty much confirm my entry for the painting challenge will be a Imperial Guard army.

As for which regiment, not sure yet. Either way, i'll let you guys know :)
Oooh, seeing as how your Space Marines are a great source of inspiration that sounds promising indeed!

I've thought about what I'm going to enter and I'll most likely have to scrap the daemons for now since I still have so much left to do on my Blood Angel Successors (must stay focused!)

At the moment I'm considering doing "Painting my entire Armoury" for the challenge, only painting vehicles that for the moment are unpainted. I need something to push me along while doing all these freehand motifs. It's also pretty sad I have enough vehicles unpainted to fill up the entire challenge...

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Hmm I may enter this. It certainly would be good to have deadlines to motivate me to paint my models. In that regards, I think I'll enter and do my Red Wolves. They are started (barely though to be fair) and I'd like to get them done faster than one marine in 2 months :p

Grish

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm definitely in for the entire challenge.

I've got a fiar bit on between now and xmas so i'll be using that time to assemble all the units and conversions i want to get done for my sallies and then painting them up for the comp.

Glad to see so many people are in on this, it's always good to have so much miniature eye-candy in one place :victory:

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Ooh I didn't know we got an award for doing it, sounds good :p

@Humakt, if it is just me who is bothered by the single army thing, don't worry about changing it, I'll just paint my Iron Snakes for the challenge and try and fit my orks in at weekends of something, don't go out of your way :)
It will be possible to have 2 armies thoughout the year of the challenge. However you will still be only be able to have one army at a time. Therefore if you get a few months in and want to change (say a new codex comes out you have been waiting for years), you can swap armies. This is a one off change and can only be perfromed once in the challenge.

Couple of things of which I thought, which are possibly over thinking things:

(i) Do the before and after pictures need to be of a minimum quality or type, or just recognisable as an uncompleted unit and a painted unit? For example, would a quick shot of pile of base-coated sprues be acceptable?
A group of base coated sprues will be acceptable

(ii) Does expanding a unit count as building a new unit? For example, I want to make a WHFB horde unit: can I build and paint a unit of 20 Marauders this month then build and paint the remaining 20 next month?
As long as each entry conforms to the minimum requirements for the unit in the relevant army book/codex this would be fine.

(iii) Does the army have to be legal? For instance, can I build entirely heroes and rare choices?
The army does not need to be legal, but see above, each unit should be legal.

(iv) Can we redeem Hectic tokens by submitting two units in a subsequent month? For example: I get a two month contract working split-shifts so my painting schedule is thrown out and I use up my tokens; I then do not work for a month so finish a unit in under two weeks; can I start and finish a second unit in that month to reset one of the Hectic tokens?
Strictly no, but throughout the year there will be special months to allow you to earn double points for 2 entries.

(v) Are there external limits on what counts as a painted unit, or do we just have to complete something? For instance, if all my previous units have three layers of highlighting but I run out of time can I claim a unit with only two layers or do they all have to be to the same standard?
As long as each unit is recognisbale finsihed, the level of finish is your own personal choice.
So its cool it we Prime and have the army "Ready to go" for the competition? is that what I am gathering? Provided we supply pictures of unprimed/primed ?
I only want the prepainted picture the month the unit is being entered. By all means have the whole army ready to paint and pcitured if you really want to, just dont post the images to soon. Nothing worse than premature image revelation.

When it begins; Do we have to take a picture of our entire army, unpainted?

No, although it would be nice to have a pciture of the completed army at the end of the challenge.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Wicked cheers mate, It's good news really; I don't think I'll have my 'Nid army bought by X-mas unless I successfully get a job. :( I want a new guitar; So everything I earn till then goes towards that. :laugh:

I know.. It's blasphemy to even suggest Warhammer being priority #2. :(

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It looks like this is a golden opportunity to bring my Blood Angels up to 5.ed. Completing this challenge i could get all the "new" units finished.
I am in :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
may i surgest, that for now you start with what yo have (but not untill Jan when the comp starts), and add as time and cash permits, provideing you have some stuff to start on that is........lol

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think the fact the competition only asks for one unit a month, it makes it really quite affordable, so financially it's quite viable for anyone on any budget.

The true test of the challenge is if you can adding to it every month for a whole year.

Also quick note to the guys running this; can someone make a little signature graphic saying they are taking part in the 2011 challenge? I saw some guys on different boards have little signature graphics saying they are taking part. Might be fun to have them on those who are taking part. Then maybe another at the end of the challenge saying they completed it for example?

Just some thoughts :)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
question: im currently painting up BOTH Space marines & Chaos Space marines, most of which have already been assembled. would it be ok if i just paint them? i havent painted many of these units @ all and im sorta sick of them just being plastic grey / metal. would it be alright if i join?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
question: im currently painting up BOTH Space marines & Chaos Space marines, most of which have already been assembled. would it be ok if i just paint them? i havent painted many of these units @ all and im sorta sick of them just being plastic grey / metal. would it be alright if i join?
Well going from what Humakt said earlier, you would be able to paint ONE of the army's for a while, but if you wanted to start painting the other one, and switched, you can't switch back to your original army.

E.g. you paint space marines for 4 months, get bored, so you start painting chaos marines. You would have to paint chaos for the rest of the challenge.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Just a thought, but should we post up a test model before the challenge starts? Just so we know who's doing what?

I think the fact the competition only asks for one unit a month, it makes it really quite affordable, so financially it's quite viable for anyone on any budget.
Clearly you've never seen GW's Australian prices, made even more ridiculous of late with the increase in the $AUD. It's up to 38 pounds for a tactical squad.

Just thought I'd throw in my mandatory 'GW-prices-are-shit' statement for the month.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fair enough I was mainly meaning that if I was wanting a nice special unit or something that was too expensive for one months budget. But ive realised its only one unit a month and Ive got my bday and christmas to save up muny for.
Im probbaly going to do DE as I'm starting them soon so I wont paint any new guys till then. Also what if I just want to paint a unit from a different army one month i.e I have a unpainted horror squad for my demons...

·