Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
i'm in...at least for some of it.

I want to add some more stuff to my sallies but i'm not sure if I want another 11 units.

Also if anyone is interested i could make up some signatures for people to use to say they are taking part in the challenge, possibly with additional signatures for milestones - i.e 3 units completed and so on?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That'd be pretty cool. Hey speaking of sigs, how long is your to do list right now? I could use a new one.
Just got 1 request on the go at the moment, and 1 to revisit so PM me and i'll try and get it done sometime this weekend :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm definitely in for the entire challenge.

I've got a fiar bit on between now and xmas so i'll be using that time to assemble all the units and conversions i want to get done for my sallies and then painting them up for the comp.

Glad to see so many people are in on this, it's always good to have so much miniature eye-candy in one place :victory:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Also quick note to the guys running this; can someone make a little signature graphic saying they are taking part in the 2011 challenge?
Funny you should mention this, i've been working on a couple of ideas for something similar:

The idea would be that you started with the private bar, then you gain a rank for every 2 months you complete the challenge. I've made it small and simple so it's not a massive part of your sig.

There's also this version with space underneath so people could use their own software to add details about which army they are doing, units they are working on and their progress. This way you can add your own personality to the sig and we get a uniform look to advertise the competition.

If Humakt approves i'll go ahead and draw up the other ranks, or if you want completely different designs i'll be happy to oblige, just let me know :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Maybe you should only get the Marshall Award if you reach a certain rank? :)
As i understand it, you get the marshall award if you complete your task every single month for the year, though you get 2 chances to miss a month using the 'real life' vouchers.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Attention: Input needed folks!

Humakt has raised his mighty thumb and said the sigs are good to go, but he's asked for something a little more heretical when signifying the ranks.

My original plan was to use military markings that correspond with Private, colonel, sergeant etc etc

Anyone have suggestions for more chaotic ranks?

Ideally i need 6 ranks with a graphical representation for each.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Can you have a choice of which sig you choose? Depending on if it's a good or evil army?

Would make a bit more variety, plus personality too!
I have thought of this, but i don't think i made it clear in my original post.

There will be 2 sigs:

a mini one for people who just want to show they are doing the challenge, leaving space for their other signature stuff:

and a full size one which has space to put a personal image in, like so:

ROT and i will be happy to edit the full size sigs and put in art or photos of your individual armies :)

Why chaotic?
Because we are heresy online :p

The rank suggestions are great though, keep em coming!

It wouldn't be too difficult to do individual army signatures with specialized ranks, but one of my main aims for this is uniformity. That way it's clear to everyone that you are taking part in the challenge and hopefully it will encourage others to join in. This is why i've done the 2nd signature half and half - the appearance is uniform, but still personalised.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Two things spring to mind, first your chevron is upside down... (you're a Brit, none of this wrong way up rank insignia! :p)

I would suggest skulls like a kill count for rank. Could be as small or large as you like to fit however many is needed on there. Or possibly gold, silver bronze skulls to indicate how many years completed.
Heh, 2 of my uncles and my old man were in the Navy/Army so you think i'd have spotted that, but never mind :p

The skulls idea sounds perfect. I'll go with that unless anyone has a better suggestion.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
You could have to get like...4 bronze skulls (each skull represents a month), then you get silver skulls. Once you get 4 silver skulls, you go to gold, and if you get 4 gold skulls you fully complete the challenge!

If you miss a month, out of the competition rules (say you run out of tickets) then you lose a skull, if you use your 'too much life to paint' tickets, you don't gain a skull, but neither do you lose one.
This would work if we had dynamic signatures that updated themselves, but as it stands people have to upload their own sigs and I doubt everyone will be in a rush to change their sig if they missed a month.

Also if we personalise them, someone would have to update everyone's signatures once a month with one of 12 templates - which means i'll fail the challenge as i won't have time to paint anything :p

As it stands i'm thinking of doing 4 ranks:

Heretic
Cultist
Aspiring Champion
Warmaster

You gain a skull & rank for every 3 months you complete. Obviously you can complete the challenge with 10 months using the 2 tickets, but you can only call yourself a warmaster if you do all 12 :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
This all looks pretty good. Only 4 ranks makes sense and is a nice bit of incentive to get you people painting.
Cool, i will get started on the final graphics then :)

I appreciate a few people like the idea of 12 skulls/ranks, but changing everyone's personalised signatures every single month is a lot of work!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys, i've finalised the signature art and ranks.

Entering the challenge = Disciple - 1 skull
3 months complete = Cultist - 2 skulls
6 months complete = Heretic - 3 skulls
9 months complete = Champion - 4 skulls

Completing the challenge will earn you this sig:

The blank (white) space can be used for any artwork you like, though it should relate to your army or armies.

To free this thread up for people to talk about the challenge, all signature related stuff should go to this thread:

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=775072#post775072

Use the signature thread to request art for your signatures, where i will edit them and PM them over to you (and i'm sure ROT will help me :p )

Closer to the time i'll post up half size sigs, so you can just use the top half if you wish :)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I will fully respect the words of such an mighty individual as you, so look forward to seeing a lot of Command Squads, Assault Squads, Tactical Squads and Terminator squads led by HQ choices! :)
Why do you want so many hq's?

I don't think anyone will mind you doing several HQ units for the challenge as long as the effort is clear in your painting.

A HQ unit can take as long to paint as a standard unit provided you are painting it to a very good standard.

Also Humakt, would it be possible to link the signatures thread in the opening post so people can get sigs prior to the challenge if they want them?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
This sounds great. Just what I need to actually get an army done. I'll be either doin' necrons or blood angels.
Awesome :victory:

Glad to see you on board mate, always enjoy your painting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.