Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
well going by the lines, "an army thats been started can used" you should be alble to bubbles.
As for the challange, i be up for with my guard (unless things get worse and they have to go) with enough unpainted and part painted units to keep me going.
And if they do come out ealy enough and i can afford em, a GK army with the new codex.
@Humakt, as you know i have a few army on the go, so i be working on all of em to try and get to a set ponits value on each, will that be ok for the challange?
if so, i be trying to get my guard finised, up to about 2000pts of orks (or both unpainted and part painted units), and then GK's if i have the cash to buy em (hopefully about 1750pts worth...........hmmm ASMoH maybe............lol)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
unless Humakt has really changed the rules, then yes you can, as its part of the army your building, there was some nice conversions built in the last challange, check the thread out for more info.
Just remember it must be part of the army your building for the challange

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
well as i stated earier, i have a few armys on the go i want to get done, so be working on at least 2, gaurd, and a shed load of ork boys, and if they do come out, and i can afford em, i'll also be building a GK army
in the last challange i was doing a couple of armys during the challange, CSM (now 98% done) and SOB's (which i had to reluctently sell)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Its worth doing the chalange, i fisrt entered back in 2009, and used the chllange to get 1750pts of CSm done for a tounry i was going to in the may of that year, and it helped big time.
Even though i already have the award for this (and wont get another), im still entering to help encourage other heretics to finsh armies and have fun doing it.
And dont forget, we're all here to help each other if help, tips or advice is needed.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
may i surgest, that for now you start with what yo have (but not untill Jan when the comp starts), and add as time and cash permits, provideing you have some stuff to start on that is........lol

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Fair enough I was mainly meaning that if I was wanting a nice special unit or something that was too expensive for one months budget. But ive realised its only one unit a month and Ive got my bday and christmas to save up muny for.
Im probbaly going to do DE as I'm starting them soon so I wont paint any new guys till then. Also what if I just want to paint a unit from a different army one month i.e I have a unpainted horror squad for my demons...
as has been explained, you pick an army, and start on that, but if you change to another army, say chaos deamons, you then cant switch back to your first army.
if you happen to have 2 daemon units you need painting up, you "could do them for the first 2 months of the challange (to get your hand in, so to speak) then switch to your dark eldar army, which by then you probaly have serveral units ready to paint.
And as i stated earlier, im doing this year for fun, as im one of the lucky buggers thats already got the award.

i will say that the challange is a great way to paint an army, back in the first challange, i managed to get roughly 3500pts of CSM during the challange (along with units from other armys).
My advice to all those joining in, plan your army out, and work what units you want to do first, and maybe get any ackward mini's done first, so your not stuck with doing em at the end of the challange and feeling burnt out.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
basicly, if you complete the challange for the year (even if yu have to use your 2 tokens at any time) you will get the baton (as modeled by me on the left) and also the bonus feel good feeling of getting an army completed.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
just meet the squad/unit target each month. you do a rough list, if you wish of what your hopeing to finish, or do a project log to go with the challange

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
that be up to the boss man, but as i surgested earlier, any ackward units, try and get done early in the challange, if you have the mini's ready

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
well the "chaos titles" are good for evil armys, but for "good armys" need something a little less chaotic............(putting thinking cap on............bugger that hurts too much)
ok how about:
grunt
corpral
The sarg
Captian
commander
lord commander

or something along those lines

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
yeah, if you have say 2 tact units your working on, and you know you going to get em both done, show the unpainted/undercoated pics as normal, then at end of month, so pics of finished units
Its up to you how many units your gona try and do each month.
tbh, i probaly be trying to get at least 2 units a month done to start with, to get ready for a 1750 tourny in may

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
yeah i think you can do that, i know i did during the last challange, as i finished 1 unit quicker than i expected, so added another unit to the mix (plus it was a good way to play catch up any months you missed).

well looks like we're gona have good mix of armys for the challange this year, and a good number of members joing the fun.
i know im looking forward to it, as i have roughly 8-900pts of guard to get done by the start of may (tanks and hydras are done for the tourny, just need troops and transports done), so be starting with guard as it looks like GK wont be around till march now......lol (more time to save up for em.....lol)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
if you complete one army, part way through the challange, then yes, you can start another army.
so for example, im starting with guard, and need to do about 900pts worth, once there finished, and eclare there done, i then start new shiny army, hopefully GK if there out by then (need my guard finished by may for a tourny).
basicly, work on one army at a time, then if its finished start another, no switching from one army to another every other month

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
as i said in an earlier plus, get a rough plan of what you want, but allow for change if needed, or if another shiny unit catchs your eye for the army instead.
@humakt, as im an old misrable vet of the challange, i try and help with advice as much as i can, just let me know if i step out of bounds (and that doesnt ean giveing me pasteing in our next game......lol).

@all, if you thinking of doing any conversions, try and get them done first if you can (and if you have the parts handy), get the ackward stuff done early in the challange and that way you only have the easy units to finish off towards the end, and not trying to squeese in lots of conversions and running out of time

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
1, good question, i would say yes, provideing your painting em in inducted colours to match the inquisitors and so on, but Humakt will have the final say on that.

2. undercoated is fine

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
@ultra111, dont forget, that in the paper version of the deamon hunters codex (and not the shity PDF) guard platoons are listed in the allies section, just no stats given.
But at the end of the day its up to Humakt hows he wants to play it, so to speak

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
As long as you are ok with the fact that some of the models are primer and no more work done, i'd love to do this with my chaos army. How do I join in the fun??
well you posted your intrest, so your in, just go through the rules at the start of the thread, and in jan, when humtak post up the thread for the jan challange, just post pics of what your painting for that month (either unpainted or primed), and then once there done post up the finished pics at the end of the month.

simples

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.