Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
after dipping in and out of the hobby for the past 18 months or so I have decided to start a project log following the progress of my heresy era death guard army which I started approximately 2 years ago now and progress is painfully slow. The idea being that with regular feed back and suggestions will help motivate me to pick up the pace along with this I have decided I will no longer be playing with unpainted models so if I want to play I have to paint.
So far Ive got: Mortarion, 5 terminators, 5 veterans, 10 breachers, 20 tactical marines, mortis Contemptor, 5 heavy support with volkite plus 5 more guys minus weapons, and a few other consuls and apothecaries.
So stay tuned for updates on this project as I clear the back log and start looking for more additions to Mortarion's finest

Attachments

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Mmm, Death Guard...... :good:

Looking forward to seeing your progress :crazy:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi guys, sorry for the delay but ive had a lot on the past week with work.

Anyway ive finished the brass trim on the Breacher squad and have applied a thick coat of nihilakh oxide im going to highlight this in the original brass colour, after that its just guns, shoulder pads, eyes and bases to finish them off
Ive also basecoated the Contemptor im hoping if I keep all my brush strokes vertical the stripey uneven streaks will add to the worn and weatherd look at the end.
Ive also been working on a predator executioner using a rhino chasis (obviously) and a leman russ turret. At the moment im debating whether or not to make it look more like the FW deimos pattern with the single central window at the front, also not sure if I should just use the leman russ sponsons or scratch build something similar to the FW version

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update ive painted the shoulder pads and bolter casing in Vallejo brown violet (very simular colour to catachan green). bases have been basecoated when that's dry ill give it a thick coat of brown/black wash. Also had to modify 2 flamers as the shield gets in the way of the fuel tank.
As for my predator ive put extra armour panels on the side aswell as sponsons, im not too keen on the armour plates themselves but I think the sponsons look alot more substantial and durable over normal predator ones which seems fitting enough for Death guard

Attachments

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I think the predator is shaping up nicely. I think you'll need more visual interest on the sides. The armour plate is all well and good, but it's going to look too boring if you don't re-incorporate some of the ridges or smoke stacks.

The breachers are also a mixed bag, but I know these are still WIP.

First the good stuff. I think the dirty streaky white paint is working really well, especially on the shields.

The parts which could use some help, the bronze trim and the nihilakh oxide(e.g. verdigris). The verdigris doesn't look right at all. Do some Google searches for pictures of verdigris. There are a few things which you should notice, which your models don't demonstrate. Bronze, brass, and copper don't go from shiny right to oxidized. They tarnish first and grow dark and dull. I would highly recommend starting your trim/brass areas with warplock bronze. Is a really nice dark base for this sort of tarnishing. And it will make a great contrast for the white.
I would paint the trim black, or a mix of black and nuln oil, do warplock over that, then highlight lightly with brass, do a thin layer of oxide, then go back over the edges with brass.
The effect we're going for is tarnished brass with oxidation in the recesses where moisture might collect and not be worn away by friction. And then treat the raised edges as though frequent friction has worn away the oxidation exposing the bright brass beneath.

As an extension of this idea, the oxide on the edges of the rest of the armour could really use another treatment of a dark base and metallic highlighting (black or nuln oil + warplock bronze + brass highlights).

Here's a link to an example. I worked up a Heldrake using this concept of tarnish and wear.

Another great resource for how the 'streaky/dirty' look can work really well, is Zxyogi's Marines Malevolent project log. Sadly, many of the links early on in the plog are broken but it's definitely worth a read.

I hope that helps!

·
3,351 Posts
Totally understood.

I know I'm partial to the bronze. I think the bronze looks a lot more satisfying; the deeper contrast is more appealing.

The brass can still work, but you might need to either thin the oxide more or do another highlight of brass. Actually I think both colours could use an extra highlight of brass. It's just a matter of how much contrast you want.

And thanks, the Heldrake was an experiment. I hadn't done verdigris before but I really wanted to try it out. During painting it was touch and go as to whether I'd get it right. =)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hi guys sorry it's been a while since my last update, ive not really been in the mood these past few days with my grandads funeral and stuff :(
But ive done another coat of ushabti bone on the Contemptor followed by 2 coats of screaming skull, as well as Base coating the metalic areas, the breachers only need a little more work here and there to finish them off I know the verdigris isnt perfect but it's something I can improve on as I work through the army.

Oh and ive randomly started converting the terminators into what will be a preator and 4man comand squad this is mainly to free up an elite slot. However im not entirely sure how to equip them so if anyone could help me out with that id much appreciate it

Attachments

·
3,351 Posts
You have my sympathies. Many years past, I had both grandfather's die within a month or two of each other. I found painting miniatures very therapeutic.

These guys are shaping up nicely. And don't worry too much about the verdigris, it's already a ton better.

I particularly like the dirt splattering up the shields from the ground. It adds more depth and character to the models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.